2018-2019 Programs By Discipline | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Programs By Discipline

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to seeing Bradie's new program, and her work with Benoit Richaud.:) I too wonder which R&J it is.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Prokofiev has been used a million times.

Romeo & Juliet about a quadrillion.

But if Bradie is going with R&J, does that mean she's not using the piece from her exhibition to the Showman? Because that is one great song and a much stronger performer really needs to skate to it for a competitive number. I'd like to nominate the Shibs. They should come back next season and use it.

Since that's most likely wishful thinking on my part, I'm OK with it going to anyone who has faced serious adversity and has strong performance ability.

russell30

Final Flight
I’m not sure that Maxime Rodriguez’ Tristan & Iseult (not Wagner, that would be interesting :)) is a warhorse? Jason Brown had a great FS with it, but I don’t know anyone else who skated to it. Even if someone else did, it’s certainly not POTO or Carmen.

Just let them stay away from mustard yellow pants;)

This was originally Abitbol/Bernardis LP music from 2001 that they used so well, really is there music, as it was composed for them by Maxime, skaters followed I guess I am showing my age but for me yes it’s a warhorse.....

Wagner’s Tristan and Isolde would be good but we will be comparing it to sale/Pelletier,s wonderful 2001 long program...

Cindy1983

Rinkside
Good for her...I thought people picked on her too much last year for her programs which brought her great success. Who cares what the picky folks say...,you do you Bradie! I love R&J and think it’s a great type of program to develop emotional presence on the ice. This should be a good fit...she seems kind of perfect for this style too and I think she likes and wants to go this direction.

I like Benoit Richard too. Anxiously awaiting the tango he and Serafima came up with. :popcorn;

Is the choreographer French? Just curious. Induldge me.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Bradie's Cinderella was charming and a good choice imho considering how many young girls (and young men perhaps ?) in the audience are enchanted with the story. R & J is an interesting choice and I applaude it whatever music she uses. Myths, legends, archetypal strories and how they relate to societal/social development have interested me for years and I am one of the few who thinks Myers' Twilight is a modernized version of the Cinderella myth. Twilight has a very strong R & J theme running through it so I can see the logic from this perspective. I am looking forward to Bradie's program...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ibpqS1PWm0

andromache

Record Breaker
For Bradie's R&J, I am holding out hope for two things:

1. Prokofiev. One of my FAAAVORITE warhorses. Gives me chills.
2. That her hair is NOT styled in that typical "Juliet" way with the little braid halo going around the back of her head. Also hoping she won't wear an overly stereotypical "Juliet" dress. Nofaux Renaissance gown bodice, no crosses , nothing like Nicole Rajicova, please.

The only two R&J dresses that look like R&J that I've liked are Sasha's (the gold dress might be even better, but the red was at the Olympics, so more recognizable) and So Youn's black dress.

I also loved Ashley's and Yulia's, though neither screamed R&J. Less is more, Bradie.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist

2. That her hair is NOT styled in that typical "Juliet" way with the little braid halo going around the back of her head. Also hoping she won't wear an overly stereotypical "Juliet" dress. Nofaux Renaissance gown bodice, no crosses , nothing like Nicole Rajicova, please.

The only two R&J dresses that look like R&J that I've liked are Sasha's (the gold dress might be even better, but the red was at the Olympics, so more recognizable) and So Youn's black dress.

I also loved Ashley's and Yulia's, though neither screamed R&J. Less is more, Bradie.

Why do I have a bad feeling that bradie will wear an immature corset-like dress and have a braid wrapped around her head.......? Please no. Just please, no. NO.

Bradie might go with the warhorse parts of R&J, like beginning with the score from the 1960s film, having the middle section be Kissing You, etc. Think a copy-and-paste of Yuzuru’s, which Marin copied, or Vincent’s , who copied them both.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

You have a point here. For me, choosing R&J as a theme for the program gets into some kind of stereotype, certain visualisation of character to portray and pairing Prokofiev's ballet with rather 'bold' image is probably the best way to go for Bradie.

Prokofiev's music is about power in my opinion and it definitely gives more potential and 'range' to play it out, as for costume - definitely bold, rich colour: burgundy or blue, with maybe sight bling/golden accents. And for sure no 'typical Juliette' cut with puffy arms, corset-style of bodice or velvet involved. There is a potential to twist this aesthetic a bit for Bradie and I am counting on it.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Didn't she get choreography from Rohene earlier? Is this that program? Did he do the free?

I just hope she gets comfortable with her programs ... well soon...let's just say soon.

skatinggold

On the Ice
Didn't she get choreography from Rohene earlier? Is this that program? Did he do the free?

I just hope she gets comfortable with her programs ... well soon...let's just say soon.

This girl is burning a lot of bridges in the skating community. She asks someone to do a program and does not use it. She did that with Misha Ge. No one will be doing her programs soon. I wish she would just challenge herself to something new not the same tango sounding music which she did for the past few seasons. Also stick with a program and quit changing around. Use the time to stabilize your jumps and work on the triple axle.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I like that she is truly involved and truly thinks about her material. Last season, she may well have been better off making a decision and working through the roadbumps toward a polished new product. But often I wish athletes would think harder or rethink. It's not about the name value of a choreographer or his/her abilities. It's about which program is the best vehicle for a skater. I like Rohene. But I don't think it reflects poorly on either him or Karen that she has selected something else. A great many great skaters do this. Savchenko & Massot, Kaetlyn Osmond, and Medvedeva to name a few from last season. I hope Karen is learning and growing as an artist through this process and that in the future, she will be able to make a stronger final product because of it.

mirai_asada

On the Ice
This girl is burning a lot of bridges in the skating community. She asks someone to do a program and does not use it. She did that with Misha Ge. No one will be doing her programs soon. I wish she would just challenge herself to something new not the same tango sounding music which she did for the past few seasons. Also stick with a program and quit changing around. Use the time to stabilize your jumps and work on the triple axle.

I doubt many choreographers care too much about whether or not a skater ends up using their program for long. They get paid for their choreo and if it's not used in the end, they still got paid? I mean unless Karen's behind on sending cheques, I doubt they'd have beef with her.

Country
Norway
I doubt many choreographers care too much about whether or not a skater ends up using their program for long. They get paid for their choreo and if it's not used in the end, they still got paid? I mean unless Karen's behind on sending cheques, I doubt they'd have beef with her.

I really don´t have a clue about this, but I would think that making a program for someone is a lot more about money. Even if you get paid, it is all the effort you put in it and to make it fit for a skater. Also for the value of the program, even if you get paid, you probably wan´t to get it exposed so that people can see it and know your name. So I think it matters, even if you get paid for a program that didn´t work. On the other hand, I think they are prepared that it might not get used, but I agree, if a skater is known for doing a lot of changes, it would make you a bit skeptic. Would the same choreo work together with the skater again?

I´m also wondering a bit about the communication between the choreo and the skater, I guess the skater have some ideas and thinks about a choreo that fits, together they try to make it work. It´s seems like it´s a gap between what the skater imagine and how it actually works. Is it because the chemistry is wrong, they don´t communicate well? Didn´t they try enough to make it work? Doesn´t the skater trust his or her ideas enough, so they let the choreo put something together they can´t relate too?

I think it´s important to find the program that fits, and I guess is has a lot to say about motivation. If you find a perfect program "in the last minute" I think you could do a better performance then doing a program that doesn´t fit, but that it´s technical flawless because you have trained enough. I would rather prefer to watch a program that the skater really fits and does with love, having some flaws, but it still is pretty wonderfull because you see the passion and guts. Some skaters are very technical but the programs is so boring and lacks of passion. The best of to worlds is of course the combination. And of course, a good program can be bad if it´s to obvious that you didn´t have enough time to train and all the mistakes destroy the magic of the program.

I guess sometimes, you never find a program that feels right, so you just have to make the best out of it.

andromache

Record Breaker
Karen Chen has changed SP. New one by Massimo Scali on Illumination - Fire Dance by Jennifer Thomas

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjsbcpPFgo9/?taken-by=karebearsk8

But being Karen Chen, I guess we may have 3-4 more SPs before the end of the year

It was mentioned in the US ladies thread that Karen said somewhere that she wasn't sure if she could afford to skate until the next Olympics.

But maybe she'd save a bit of $$$ if she didn't hire so many choreographers for so many programs.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
It was mentioned in the US ladies thread that Karen said somewhere that she wasn't sure if she could afford to skate until the next Olympics.

But maybe she'd save a bit of $$$ if she didn't hire so many choreographers for so many programs.

That burn....