Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 State of European Men's skating

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    I would prefer a different thread for each European category if possible. The discussion about the female skaters takes over each time in such kind of thread and i am more interested in discussion about men and pairs.

To come back on the European men, at this moment we need badly a new generation. Any wonder-baby in French skating rings? France skaters used to have such distinctive personalities on ice.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenOfTheRoad View Post
    I would prefer a different thread for each European category if possible. The discussion about the female skaters takes over each time in such kind of thread and i am more interested in discussion about men and pairs.

To come back on the European men, at this moment we need badly a new generation. Any wonder-baby in French skating rings? France skaters used to have such distinctive personalities on ice.
    Ok
    Luc Economides is a pretty good French junior, he was close to medaling on the JGP last season. But I'm more interested in what's happened to Kevin Aymoz - I remember he was screwed out of going to Euros because he didn't have a reliable quad and Ponsart did, and I think he posted some videos of him landing quads in practice late last season. But he hasn't been given the host pick for IDF The rest of the French men aren't at his/Ponsart's/Besseghier's level so I don't understand why they haven't given it to him already. Will he be at French Masters? Does anyone know?

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    The French Federation thinking and strategy make no sense, and this since many years.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenOfTheRoad View Post

I think that pairs would be best served by a general thread for all pairs; we had one a season or two back and it was very enjoyable. I'd start one, but… well.. let's face it, it would be rather pathetic. The first post would be something along the lines of… "So... let's discuss pairs!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblossom View Post
    Ok
    Luc Economides is a pretty good French junior, he was close to medaling on the JGP last season. But I'm more interested in what's happened to Kevin Aymoz - I remember he was screwed out of going to Euros because he didn't have a reliable quad and Ponsart did, and I think he posted some videos of him landing quads in practice late last season. But he hasn't been given the host pick for IDF The rest of the French men aren't at his/Ponsart's/Besseghier's level so I don't understand why they haven't given it to him already. Will he be at French Masters? Does anyone know?
    When is French Masters? I confess that, since Brian retired I haven't been paying much attention to such things. However, I find Kevin immensely enjoyable to watch, and hope he has a successful season. Last I saw him (at last season's GP), I felt his jumping in general felt… unstable. Has he become more solid?

Medalist

1 Not allowed!
    Ok

yes, at the moment he's listed among the entries of MdF. The entry list is:

AYMOZ Kévin
    BESSEGHIER Chafik
    ECONOMIDES Luc
    LEWTON-BRAIN Davide
    PONSART Romain
    ROLS Joshua
    TESSON Adrien
    WARREN Philip

Economides, Tesson and Warren are also assigned to Lombardia Trophy.

!

3 Not allowed!
    Swedish National Team 2018-19.

Majorov of course in the top team. Kudos to him for continuing after being screwed of a second olympic experience though earning it. I'm impressed that he regrouped and trained for worlds where he was among the 12 best, earning two Grand Prix spots.

Junior boys:
    Jontahan Egyptson, Trelleborgs KK
    Gabriel Folkesson, Trelleborgs KK
    Casper Johansson, Tibro KK
    Nikolaj Majorov, Luleå KK
    Andreas Nordebäck, Skate & Dance Academy
    Mikael Nordebäck, Skate & Dance Academy
    Oliver Praetorius, Lerums KK
    Daniel Seidel, Älta IF Konståkning

LOL, twice as many boys as junior girls on the team. Who would have thought? GO guys and fight for the second European Championships spot. Jonathan, Casper, Andreas and Daniel are too young. Gabriel, Nikolaj, Mikael and Oliver already have or must get minimum technical score at a senior competion.

4 Not allowed!
    Anybody else notice the significant rise of the strong skaters coming out of Italy in Junior this year? I guess those investment on summer camps running by famous Russian coaching teams finally paid off. Even without Kostner, they are in good hands apparently.

2 Not allowed!
    There have been some updates on Javi over the last couple of days.

- he is keeping his Man of La Mancha FS from last season.
    - there were rumours that his new SP would be Prometo, adapted into an SP, but this has turned out to be incorrect. He will be going to Toronto after Japan Open to get a new SP choreographed.
    - Japan Open is the only fixed competition for him right now, and whether he will go to Europeans or not depends on how well prepared he feels ie. if he does not feel ready to challenge for the title/podium again, he may not go.
    http://www.marca.com/deportes-invier...14d8b4629.html

In love with too many ladies sweetice's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning View Post
    Anybody else notice the significant rise of the strong skaters coming out of Italy in Junior this year? I guess those investment on summer camps running by famous Russian coaching teams finally paid off. Even without Kostner, they are in good hands apparently.
    Yes. Leaving Caro aside, right now the italian team is more competitive between the junior men (and Rizzo), than the ladies.

Some years ago that seemed almost impossible to happen.

6 Not allowed!
    After JGP Vancouver was ACI and Ondrej Nepela so this thread got a bit lost, but I want to congratulate France's rising stars in men: Adam Siao Him Fa and Kevin Aymoz! They have both put out great performances. Fa really was a surprise, his form was nothing like that at JWC. Aymoz is now listed for IDF, too. I recall last year there he made a splash with this innovative program https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasPdbE4IjY and finished 10th. Granted, he was skating in a stacked field there, and IDF this year is also pretty stacked, but I hope he can improve on that result and make it to Euros this season. So now France has two good senior men in Aymoz and Ponsart, and two promising juniors in Fa and Economides.

0 Not allowed!
    So now France has two good senior men in Aymoz and Ponsart, and two promising juniors in Fa and Economides.
    Is Chafik Besseghier retired? I thought he was still skating.

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yume View Post
    Is Chafik Besseghier retired? I thought he was still skating.
    He's not retiring He will compete at French Master's and then at Internationaux de France.

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks. Then France have 3 good senior men.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirti View Post
    He's not retiring He will compete at French Master's and then at Internationaux de France.
    He isn't on Masters entry list anymore.

0 Not allowed!
    After JGP Vancouver was ACI and Ondrej Nepela so this thread got a bit lost, but I want to congratulate France's rising stars in men: Adam Siao Him Fa and Kevin Aymoz! They have both put out great performances. Fa really was a surprise, his form was nothing like that at JWC. Aymoz is now listed for IDF, too. I recall last year there he made a splash with this innovative program https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasPdbE4IjY and finished 10th. Granted, he was skating in a stacked field there, and IDF this year is also pretty stacked, but I hope he can improve on that result and make it to Euros this season. So now France has two good senior men in Aymoz and Ponsart, and two promising juniors in Fa and Economides.
    I liked Kevin's programs and performances last year. I have to catch up on my Challengers viewing so I can see him.this season!

Unrelated question but about European men: Has Jorick Hendrickx retired? Injured? He withdrew from his GP events, but I haven't heard anything. I know he helped his and Loena's coach with a clinic in Obertsdorf.

Tripping on the Podium DenissVFan's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weathergal View Post
    Unrelated question but about European men: Has Jorick Hendrickx retired? Injured? He withdrew from his GP events, but I haven't heard anything. I know he helped his and Loena's coach with a clinic in Obertsdorf.
    Jorik hasn't posted any clips of his skating on instagram recently but he hasn't mentioned retirement either. I hope he doesn't retire just yet. Maybe he just needs to rest after the Olympic season.

Tripping on the Podium DenissVFan's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    Sondre Oddvoll Bøe posted a new video in English on YouTube.

He's competing in Finlandia Trophy, so good luck to him

!

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, Sondre's blogs are always interesting/fun to read/listen to. Good to see he now posts in English

And a lot of good luck to him in Finland! I so hope he will get the minimum tech score for worlds this season. The 3axel is crucial I guess.

2 Not allowed!
    Alexei Bychenko saw Daniel Samohin's recent performances and said "hold my beer..."

Mark Gorodnitsky may have a good shot at going to Euros if they continue like this.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast