2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
McIntosh/Toste. They are national novice champs and you did watch them at Egna. :p

They've got a triple twist and a now we've seen a throw triple loop.

They're still young and kinda small so their skating style isn't showy. It's almost...kawaii in some way. But it's neat.

There's one crazy pairs fan (not on this site) who watches younger Canadian pairs like a hawk and is definitely biased towards the QC pairs. But his socks were knocked off by M/T this season. He rightly pointed out that they, along with the other novice pairs, were better than many of the junior pairs that competed at Nationals this year.

I've been watching them since pre-novice and I liked their little programs so I too am biased but I respect the tech first and foremost.

Well, the fed wants the tech too so we're on the same page for once. :)

egna - blur LOL but as you know about me... if a team does well, i cheer for them.. so let's them give me tons of opportunities to do so!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
once meagan gets in there... yeah.. let's just wait and see. mervin and his "american tryout" just landed SBS 3f.... and coach andrew evans said " long gone the times a team needed a 2a and a 3t... ... mervin said " i blame meagan and eric"

Such audacity, upping the tech game of the discipline of pairs in general. Those quad throws, SBS 3LzS, and 3T-2T-2T - how dare they??!!

:rofl:

I say all this in jest, of course. I’m going to assume that Mervin made that comment with his tongue in cheek, otherwise, the only other explanation is that Trankov found a mad scientist who invented a way for him to get into Mervin’s head and control his thoughts and feelings. :laugh:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Has it been confirmed that Gabby, Kaetlyn, and Alaine are all going to keep competing? All 3 are in very, very different places in their career.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Has it been confirmed that Gabby, Kaetlyn, and Alaine are all going to keep competing? All 3 are in very, very different places in their career.
Kaetlyn and Gabby have both been explicit on the subject. They're taking it season by season, but they're definitely back next year. I don't know about Alaine; I have to imagine she's crushed by how this season went.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
McIntosh/Toste. They are national novice champs and you did watch them at Egna. :p

They've got a triple twist and a now we've seen a throw triple loop.

They're still young and kinda small so their skating style isn't showy. It's almost...kawaii in some way. But it's neat.

There's one crazy pairs fan (not on this site) who watches younger Canadian pairs like a hawk and is definitely biased towards the QC pairs. But his socks were knocked off by M/T this season. He rightly pointed out that they, along with the other novice pairs, were better than many of the junior pairs that competed at Nationals this year.

I've been watching them since pre-novice and I liked their little programs so I too am biased but I respect the tech first and foremost.

Well, the fed wants the tech too so we're on the same page for once. :)

Oh do they actually have the triple twist now? In the article after Nationals, their coach saying he knew they'd be able to do one, but it didn't sound like they had it yet Did he post a video?

I found the quote
Already, McIntosh has a sense of how to do a triple twist. “And not a small triple twist,” Evans said. “A honker of a triple twist.”
It will be the next step, to teach this team this formidable trick. “There are two groups of pairs: ones with a twist and ones without one,” Evans said. “And you know what? With how strong that boy is and how fast she is, there is no reason they are not going to do a triple twist.”

At Nationals they had the Th3S, so now they have two triple throws, which is fantastic.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm not sure about what other young teams Gadbois has but as I mentioned previously they aren't dominating at the lower ranks. L/L and F/M-P will age out or go senior in the next few seasons. D'A/W have more time to spend in juniors to establish themselves though the Gadbois teams will get to settle in seniors (and try to beat their own team mates for spots on 4CC/Worlds teams which is going to be another dogfight).

M/T are ahead of most pairs in Quebec. As novice skaters they have triples. Andrew Evans used to skate with Julianne so I know he knows all about the great pairs skating in Quebec. I don't expect St-Leonard to sit still though. :) I personally find QC pairs to be polished but needing to up their tech. Once Meagan gets involved I'm sure we'll see them pushing that envelope too.

keep in mind that there are clubs that are development clubs, some that do everything well, and some who are really finishing, elite clubs... I would say that Gadbois is the latter kind... people move there when they are ready... so it's not surprising that at lower levels, there is less talent when the focus is at the senior elite level... it's a bit like universities... some are great undergrad universities, others focus on grad school

millie

Medalist
Hey guys, off topic, but don’t forget to watch CNN tonight with Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown and see our beautiful Province of Newfoundland, Canada. Home of Kaetlyn Osmond....

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Hey guys, off topic, but don’t forget to watch CNN tonight with Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown and see our beautiful Province of Newfoundland, Canada. Home of Kaetlyn Osmond....

Gonna try Millie, I usually turn into a pumpkin by 10pm. The preview looked great.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I definitely recall seeing a triple twist from M/T but now I'd have to dig through videos. :( I remember this because every time I watched their novice programs this thought popped into my mind.

@4everchan Cricket Club is actually known as a finishing club as well. :) Brian's acknowledged it for singles skaters. But they've worked on developing ice dance (and pairs once again). The one smart thing they do in ice dance is bring in outsiders. So they've had Romain Haguenauer come in and do choreo, while Alexandra Paul and Scott Moir have also stopped by to work with ice dancers. All their ice dancers are young right now (no seniors) so they can't attempt to be on par with Gadbois until those guys grow up. But Gadbois isn't known for NextGen in the direct comparison we were making. They've done a lot of Lajoie/Lagha, who were painful to watch in 2015-16, so maybe they could do more with other teams if given the chance.

Lajoie/Lagha will benefit from C/P moving to seniors next season btw. They should aim for the junior world title. Then Gadbois can prove itself at the junior level as well.

While we're on this topic: I've often felt that despite the fact that Carol Lane and Juris do an amazing job of choreography for their multiple teams they could use help with the technical for all those teams by bringing in outsiders. But I don't think it happens. Last season they brought in Jeff Dimitriou for Piper & Paul and I think he did quite a bit for their skating. All of IDE teams seemed stuck in a technical rut scoring wise. Which is no fun to see because they all have interesting programs.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

NewfieMamaSynchro PVRed it, of course. ;) Hopefully I can find the time to watch it soon!

:eek:topic: I’m also hoping to fly down this summer to visit the relatives, as I usually do every summer. We didn’t go last year for financial reasons stemming from my marital demise, but this year it’s a definite possibility. I just have to convince man-friend that it’s safe to take Newdaughter on an airplane.

My aunt is the pastoral assistant at the Catholic Church in Rushoon (she’s a nun), which is right outside of Marystown. It would be fun to wander through Kaetlyn’s hometown.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
On the previous page the question was raised about the ladies continuing in singles skating, and related to that, for the next quad, what do you guys think Kaetlyn and Gabby need to do (if anything) on a technical level? I'm thinking especially in Gabby's case. Much as we all love her 3T-3T, if her long-term goal is to do another Olympics and to place high in the top 10, I think she really needs to get higher-value combinations. Using both of your allowed 3Ts in a single jump is effectively signing away two higher-value combinations.

For Kaetlyn, she's closer to being maxed out, but I guess the biggest thing would be to use a combination to include another 3Lz or 3Lo.

mom2cavs

Rinkside
C/P are moving to senior this year and with breakup and teams moving up L/L have a good chance at the podium at both JGP finals and Worlds. F/M-P have to move to senior next season.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Watched it Millie, ....what did you think? A sausage fest for sure, but hey the food looked amazing. Also a couple of shout outs to Nova Scotia wine, which was great to hear. Benjamin Bridge winery, is one of the best in our province and located about 35 minutes from me. That high end restaurant in St. John's and the diner both, were amazing as was Trapper Johns for the screech in!

SarahSynchro, I think you will enjoy.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
@Mango In order to be apart of NextGen do skaters have to stay junior internationally next season? I heard that L/L were considering going senior but now I'm doubting it. Does this mean Joseph Phan and Comrad Orzel will stay junior internationally another season?

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
I think the difference between juniors/seniors for men is different from dance. Especially since dance has different patterns in the short, and more lifts/requirements in the free. The only difference between singles is the addition of a choreographic sequence and 30 secs added to the music. So for L/L it is most likely either commit for senior or junior.

For the single skaters, Joseph/Conrad, it depends. I would prefer them sticking to juniors (at least for the jr grand prix) because they aren't getting spots unless withdrawls/host pick. In addition, if they do well at nationals (they are senior domestically), they could be sent to both junior and senior worlds, and then turn senior the following season.

It is uncommon but a realistic scenario, since Nam did both worlds in '14 and Julianne/Charlie as well in '15.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Nothing against Newfoundland but they really seem to drone on and on about Osmond being from there and to be clear she was born there but her home is Alberta and it has been for over ten years. you certainly don't here a lot about Chan, Virtue and moir or radford and duhamel's home town. Is it because newfoundland is not known for famous people relatively? I appreciate the pride factor but Kaetlyn is probably equally an Alberta girl.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Sad really, when someone voices an opinion on a subject they know nothing about. :palmf:

To name only a few, here are some other Newfoundlanders...
Shannon Tweed - TV actress and former model, wife of Kiss band member Gene Simmons
Brad Gushue - World and Olympian Gold Curling Champion
Rick Mercer - Canadian comedian and TV star
Liam Hickey - summer and winter paralympian and medalists (hockey/basketball)
Gordon Pinsent - one of Canada's greatest movie/stage actors
Bob Cole - NHL hockey announcer
Alan Doyle - singer/actor
Zita Cobb - International IT executive and social entrepreneur
Tina Maddigan - Broadway actress, played the lead role of Sophia, in Momma Mia
Dan Cleary - NHL hockey player
Allan Hawco - television/movie actor
Brad Payton - Hollywood director...movies include; San Andreas, Incarnate, Cats and Dogs
Chris Pratt - painter
David Blackwood - painter
Ron Hynes - (1950-2015) the man of 1000 songs; musician/writer whose music lives on forever
Ross Larkin - Top Chef Canada
Wayne Johnson - a best selling author including, The Colony of Unrequited Dreams, The Divine Ryans
Mary Walsh - actress, comedian, writer

Also, with most of her family still in NF, including her brother, grandmother, aunts/uncles, cousins, Kaetlyn has openly stated that NF will always be ...home.

millie

Medalist
Nothing against Newfoundland but they really seem to drone on and on about Osmond being from there and to be clear she was born there but her home is Alberta and it has been for over ten years. you certainly don't here a lot about Chan, Virtue and moir or radford and duhamel's home town. Is it because newfoundland is not known for famous people relatively? I appreciate the pride factor but Kaetlyn is probably equally an Alberta girl.

I)

Well put it this way, Newfoundland is famous now. With the Broadway production “Come From Away” and now Anthony Bourdain’s Parts Unknown, we are no shrinking violet. Newfoundland is known all over the world for their kindness and hospitality. By the way, Katelyn’s family still lives in Newfoundland where Kaetlyn was born and lived over half of her life. Now you can talk about the other skater’s hometown if you like.🙂PS, I almost forgot, a Newfoundlander Dr. Cluny MacPherson invented the “Gas Mask”. Oh and Gordon Pincent, the actor, Brad Gushue Olympic Curling Gold Medalists. Rick Mercer of the Mercer Report is also a famous Newfoundlander and OH Kaetlyn Osmond 2018 Ladies World Figure Skating Champion. Alan Doyle, Danny Cleary, Cathy Jones, Shuan Majumder, Rex Murphy.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh lord... the first and only time i have ever heard about lively and balmertown, was when D/R won world with hometown glory and mentioned their hometowns.... as we know, they have been all over the place during their career and are both now in Montreal... well sort of... as Meagan lives in Boucherville, a suburb of Montreal with her hubby (Boucherville is right in between montreal and sainte-julie, very convenient for Bruno)... I thought that D/R mentioning their tiny little hometowns, and how proud they were of having made it, from coming from such small places, was very nice and refreshing.... Isn't Scott from Ilderton? or something like that? Same difference... wait for it... these towns celebrate their skaters just as much as NFLD :) but they are all in Ontario ;) so it's not because Ontario is small is it?

the point that matters here is what a person feels like :home is where it feels like home.... My hometown is small and athletes going to worlds and olympics have come from where I grew up... and there is this strong feeling of pride... no matter the fact that i left it at 20... and actually, the city have lived the longest in as an adult is Vancouver, home will always be home.... I would never say that I am from Vancouver.... even if it's where I became who i am...

PS : my dream trip and next trip : Newfoundland.... I just have to go... it's gorgeous.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaetlyn herself is very vocal on the subject.

But beyond that, when you’re born Atlantic Canadian, it doesn’t matter how long you’ve lived elsewhere. You’re always from here, as long as we’re concerned.