2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If you want to put it that way, I don’t know any internationally famous people from BC, Quebec or Ontario. You must be living under a rock and not meaning Newfoundland 🙂🙂. Newfoundland and it’s people are recognized around the world...just go and see the Broadway production “Come from Away”. I bet that Anderson Cooper, Anthony Bourdain and a lot of other Americans etc, know of Newfoundland...We even have a Olympic Gold Curling Team along with a Figure Skating World Champion. Some Mainlanders are the worst...oh my...

celine dion? come on... give yourself some credit millie ;) for bc you can go michael buble ;) and for ontario... it's the beebs ;) LOL gosh i'd love to see you, SarahsSyndrome and O4G around a table with a drink in hand... it would make a good party

millie

Medalist
celine dion? come on... give yourself some credit millie ;) for bc you can go michael buble ;) and for ontario... it's the beebs ;) LOL gosh i'd love to see you, SarahsSyndrome and O4G around a table with a drink in hand... it would make a good party

Well I knew those three but that’s all but that’s in 3 provinces...lol

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

A meeting in St. John's sometime my friend, given your desire to visit. I did live there for a year early in my career and relish every day I sent on the Rock! West Coast NF, by the way Millie. It is everything you have heard 4ever, and so much more!

Ziotic

Medalist

At least give Ontario to Drake or Ryan Gosslin, the beibs is just embarrassing

millie

Medalist
A meeting in St. John's sometime my friend, given your desire to visit. I did live there for a year early in my career and relish every day I sent on the Rock! West Coast NF, by the way Millie. It is everything you have heard 4ever, and so much more!

Skiing on Marble Mountain, canoeing on the Humber River....Gods Country....

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Can we wear mummerimg costumes? :laugh: I’ll bring the case of Palm Bay! I already have a venue for the party: my Nanny’s house in St. John’s. She’s 97 years old and can probably out drink us all. Maybe my aunt will join us too. She’s the assistant pastoral director at the small Catholic Church in Rushoon, which is a small village right outside of Marystown. She knows a lot of Kaetlyn’s family, including her grandparents. Oh, she’s also a nun. She too could probably out drink us all as well. :rofl:

Back to the original shade throwing post from earlier regarding the province. I was born in Newfoundland, but moved to Ontario in 1986, when I was nearly three years old. I still consider myself to be a born and bred Newfoundlander. MommaSynchro grew up and spent the majority of her life there, aside from a few years living in Winnipeg, and then in Saskatchewan for her RCMP training. She was amingst the first “graduating class” that allowed women into the force. :cheer: Anyway, where I’m going with this is that despite living in Ontario now for 38 years, when people meet her for the first time, they ask me if she’s “foreign” because of her accent. :laugh: Since I was so young when we moved, I never acquired ome myself, which I suspect is the same for Kaetlyn as well. I can understand everything they’re saying, though.

Also, I feel I must point out that Inderton Ontario, home of the Moir family, and Tessa and Scott’s first skating club as young skaters, gets a ton of publicity as well, perhaps more so than London Ontario, home of 2013’s world championships. Ilderton is a very small town, population of about 2000 people, but you can’t deny that V/M definitely put them on the map.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
outside of the 3 big cities... (and living 12 years in vancouver, i still called it a village LOL) and the provinces capitals/metropolis.... all towns in canada are pretty small ;)

and that's awesome that there are rinks and facilities, and BELIEF, that one can make it big. It's all about work, not about where one was born...

Go small towners !!! Go big towners!!! Go Canada :) :cheer:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Also, I feel I must point out that Inderton Ontario, home of the Moir family, and Tessa and Scott’s first skating club as young skaters, gets a ton of publicity as well, perhaps more so than London Ontario, home of 2013’s world championships. Ilderton is a very small town, population of about 2000 people, but you can’t deny that V/M definitely put them on the map.

Ilderton, Ontario, honey....ILDERTON. ;)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
well... so many people answered Canada ;)

Sure...blame Canada, yet again. ;)

I am blessed on this Forum to have American friends here, who in no way reflect that video. We are after all, citizens of the world, and understanding different cultures is an essential quality for peace.

EastCoastBlades

Spectator
2018 BC/YK Victoria Day Super Series Results:

Senior Ladies Short Program Results:

1. Rinka Watanabe- 59.84***Trains at Champs International with Megumu Seki; Finished 5th @ Japanese Junior Nationals 2017-18***
2. Emily Bausback-55.11***1st competition since breaking ankle in December and missing Nationals after finishing an impressive 5th in Senior Ladies debut @ National Challenge; Looks good, strong, healthy, and more mature and refined as she gets ready for another JGP season***
3. Kelsey Wong- 51.66***Beautiful spins; mature and elegant presentation***
6. Olivia Gran- 38.39***National Junior Champion of Canada 2018***

http://www.skatinginbc.com/sites/de...oria Day/results/vdi18seniorwomenshsp1dro.pdf

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6jw9g6

Sabrina

Record Breaker
2018 BC/YK Victoria Day Super Series Results:

Senior Ladies Short Program Results:

1. Rinka Watanabe- 59.84***Trains at Champs International with Megumu Seki; Finished 5th @ Japanese Junior Nationals 2017-18***
2. Emily Bausback-55.11***1st competition since breaking ankle in December and missing Nationals after finishing an impressive 5th in Senior Ladies debut @ National Challenge; Looks good, strong, healthy, and more mature and refined as she gets ready for another JGP season***
3. Kelsey Wong- 51.66***Beautiful spins; mature and elegant presentation***
6. Olivia Gran- 38.39***National Junior of Canada 2018***

http://www.skatinginbc.com/sites/de...oria Day/results/vdi18seniorwomenshsp1dro.pdf

I just noticed that all girls got low low levels in spins. Only Rinka got 2 level 3 and combi spin got level4. I know this is a summer competition, still many levels were 1 or 2...jeez

TGee

Record Breaker
I just noticed that all girls got low low levels in spins. Only Rinka got 2 level 3 and combi spin got level4. I know this is a summer competition, still many levels were 1 or 2...jeez
Especially when we know that the novice and junior women from Quebec section typically nail their spins...

I really wish that we could see the various sections take on their relative areas of weakness in developing their female skaters...they need jumps, but losing levels on Spins, an weak speed and SS will not get them on podiums as seniors.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't know if anyone is aware of this summer comp for US and Canadian Novices:

From Skate Ontario website: http://www.skateontario.org/2018/05/09/2018-north-american-series/

Skate Canada and U.S. Figure Skating will hold the 2018 North American Series for novice level athletes, in conjunction with:
Skate Milwaukee in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, July 11-15, 2018;
Lake Placid Ice Dance Competition in Lake Placid, New York, July 24-27, 2018; and
Sectional Series GTSA Summer Skate in Toronto (North York), Ontario, August 16-19, 2018.

mom2cavs

Rinkside
As an american I must let you know that geography is not a big subject in the school system. I'm from Iowa and people always say I eat your potatoes. No that would be Idaho, Iowa is known for corn and soybeans. I once had a college professor from a top university tell me they had never been west of the mississippi. They had never been west of pennsylvania. The Mississippi river runs down the center of america. I'm 74 and I had no idea just how stupid Americans were until Trump became president. My friends and I have much admiration for canadians and are jealous that we have an idiot for a president and you get a hottie. Many of us would move if it weren't for deep ties here. Check out MSNBC or CNN. This is the america I live in. As an aside my granddaughter competed for canada until they broke up. She loved competition for your country.
Sure...blame Canada, yet again. ;)

I am blessed on this Forum to have American friends here, who in no way reflect that video. We are after all, citizens of the world, and understanding different cultures is an essential quality for peace.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
As an american I must let you know that geography is not a big subject in the school system. I'm from Iowa and people always say I eat your potatoes. No that would be Idaho, Iowa is known for corn and soybeans. I once had a college professor from a top university tell me they had never been west of the mississippi. They had never been west of pennsylvania. The Mississippi river runs down the center of america. I'm 74 and I had no idea just how stupid Americans were until Trump became president. My friends and I have much admiration for canadians and are jealous that we have an idiot for a president and you get a hottie. Many of us would move if it weren't for deep ties here. Check out MSNBC or CNN. This is the america I live in. As an aside my granddaughter competed for canada until they broke up. She loved competition for your country.

Iowa, as in, ''if you build it he will come.'' One of my fav. movies of all time. Those sunsets and fields of gold must be amazing!

Most Canadians have family/cousins living in the US, so we are connected in many ways. And yes, I could not start my day without Alisyn and Chris on CNN. It does give one hope for the future, mom2cavs.

TGee

Record Breaker
Iowa, as in, ''if you build it he will come.'' One of my fav. movies of all time. Those sunsets and fields of gold must be amazing!

Most Canadians have family/cousins living in the US, so we are connected in many ways. And yes, I could not start my day without Alisyn and Chris on CNN. It does give one hope for the future, mom2cavs.
Oh...gosh...

And most Americans have no awareness that "Shoeless Joe" by WP Kinsella is a classic Canadian novel.

Really. Kinsella was a staple of our high school CanLit reading lists before CanLit became cool.

Kinsella reportedly attended a writers workshop in Iowa, and the novel comes from his imagining what would happen if Joe Jackson returned.

The Hollywood version is entitled "Field of Dreams".

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well... on that note Swtzerland just scored in W Hockey C against Canada..... 1-0... this is the semifinals.