2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
https://www.lesoleil.com/sports/le-delinquant-en-charlie-bilodeau-226a99e67d6f67b85083e5d04cb48e49 article in French about Charlie B.

This is testing my french reading comprehension a bit.

thanks for sharing... nothing new

Charlie went snowboarding after PC... he had promised he wouldn't do it, to avoid silly injuries... but it was stronger than him.. he used to snowboard as a kid but he was a better skater...

Then they talked about his region (middle of nowhere) as he is a very proud inhabitant of Trois-Pistoles.
He said it looked fun to see the people watching them skate from the high school or what not during the games.... he is very proud.

Finally he said that at 14, his dream was to go to the olympics... mission accomplished... now his dream is a podium and to do that, they need to go back to the drawing board, especially after their disaster world performance.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

Charlie went snowboarding after PC... he had promised he wouldn't do it, to avoid silly injuries... but it was stronger than him.. he used to snowboard as a kid but he was a better skater...

Then they talked about his region (middle of nowhere) as he is a very proud inhabitant of Trois-Pistoles.
He said it looked fun to see the people watching them skate from the high school or what not during the games.... he is very proud.

Finally he said that at 14, his dream was to go to the olympics... mission accomplished... now his dream is a podium and to do that, they need to go back to the drawing board, especially after their disaster world performance.

Thanks for the translation. I got most of it but a few times I was puzzled.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

So, why does his profile say Rimouski, and just for the record my 4everfriend, simply because one comes from a smaller region/ community in Canada, it should never define you as a person or an athlete. Roots, as you know, can give you wings, a strong sense of self, and foundation...hello Sept Ilse! Am I right Marystown, NF or Lively Ont., or Rocky Mountain House, AB?

In fact, the last time I checked, most Canadians live outside of Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg. Just sayin' ;)

PS Sid Crosby, a hockey player from little town Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia, says HELLO!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So, why does his profile say Rimouski, and just for the record my 4everfriend, simply because one comes from a smaller region/ community in Canada, it should never define you as a person or an athlete. Roots, as you know, can give you wings, a strong sense of self, and foundation...hello Sept Ilse! Am I right Marystown, NF or Lively Ont., or Rocky Mountain House, AB?

In fact, the last time I checked, most Canadians live outside of Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg. Just sayin' ;)

PS Sid Crosby, a hockey player from little town Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia, says HELLO!

HEHE :) i knew you would write that my friend :) i love my own small town ;)

btw... now that Osmond4Gold has been achieved... and that 4everchan too... we should get new names :) I am thinking bout G4G :) it could mean Gabby for Gold and Gogolev for Gold... :) would be a good investment... what do you think?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I'm just laughing at the fact that Russia's anchor for ladies skating this past quad, Evgenia Medvedeva, has left Russia's top coach to go to...Canada, the country derided for its ladies' skating on this board. This is one of those big plot twists you don't see coming. Maybe some will gain better perspective with this move.

All the best to her at Cricket Club.

Scott Moir might be touring but he's also helping out with the Next Gen. What a great guy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BifQvtWjdPo/

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The talk about various people moving to the TCC and Gadbois today reminds me that it feels kind of weird that Canada has two magnet training centers/coaches, but as of this coming season almost none of Canada's first-rank skaters train there. Marie-France doesn't have either of the top ice dance duos (though she's got all of the long-term prospects), and Orser frankly has seldom handled top Canadian talent -- there's Gabby, of course, but he isn't her main coach. Gogolev will (fingers crossed) be a bit of a landmark in that regard.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The talk about various people moving to the TCC and Gadbois today reminds me that it feels kind of weird that Canada has two magnet training centers/coaches, but as of this coming season almost none of Canada's first-rank skaters train there. Marie-France doesn't have either of the top ice dance duos (though she's got all of the long-term prospects), and Orser frankly has seldom handled top Canadian talent -- there's Gabby, of course, but he isn't her main coach. Gogolev will (fingers crossed) be a bit of a landmark in that regard.

at least the top pair centre in Saint-Léonard is where the top Canadian athletes train....

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I don't think it's really that odd. Minto used to be a hotbed back in the day. ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

I noted this before but Gadbois hasn't seem to have had a lot of success in Canada in the pre-novice and novice ranks. VIDA, Ice Dance Elite, and even Cricket Club have had more successful teams. And if we take out Lajoie/Lagha they aren't dominating the junior ranks either. I'd argue that Makita/Gunara as well as D'A/W are the top long term prospects (with Bashynska/Beaumont as well, if they last and maybe Fabbri/new unknown partner) so I'm not even sure Gadbois has that. But we never know. Maybe some of the junior Gadbois teams will be way more successful as seniors.

Pairs training centres are so limited and Quebec has such a successful track record that I'm not surprised about almost all the top pairs being in one spot. Next season only Walsh/Michaud in senior and some of the younger teams will be outside of Quebec. :eeking: Well, this is unless Natasha Purich makes a comeback sooner than expected.

I'd say it's almost a good thing that top skaters are spread out. We won't get one kind of skating or choreography as a result. And kids around the country don't have to feel that they must go to Toronto or Montreal to succeed.

Brian really wants successful Canadian skaters, especially after what he went through with Nam. For now Gabby will have to continue to be his top dog in Canada.

----

Joseph Phan's got a 4Lz now

https://www.instagram.com/p/BifWG64jxnh/

Stars on Ice Toronto got some blogging
https://bevsmithwrites.com/2018/05/06/stars-on-ice-becomes-hot-ticket/
http://pjkwong.com/fields-of-gold/

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
which bed are you talking about?

- - - Updated - - -

mango brought this to my attention...

as a proud parent.. i cannot help it....

here is a beautiful jump by a beautiful skater...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BifWG64jxnh/?taken-by=joseph_phan_

QUAD LUTZ by Jo!!!! Look at my mini chiddy joining the squads ;)

LOL You beat me to it while I was typing... :biggrin:

TGee mentioned the history of Minto to us before. The departure of its top coach was partly why Tessa & Scott ended up in Michigan, after all.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

TGee mentioned the history of Minto to us before. The departure of its top coach was partly why Tessa & Scott ended up in Michigan, after all.

Along with many others.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Along with many others.

so a whole flock of rabbits and canadian geese went down the windsor river.... what a shame !!!! :eeking:

- - - Updated - - -

I miss TGee.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I miss TGee.

Don't we all!

Wherever she is I hope she's having a balling time enjoying the success of Canadian skaters and her own kids.

By the way 4everchan you should post more videos of Joseph in his fan fest. If you dig through the Skate Canada Dailymotion archives you'll find them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Don't we all!

Wherever she is I hope she's having a balling time enjoying the success of Canadian skaters and her own kids.

By the way 4everchan you should post more videos of Joseph in his fan fest. If you dig through the Skate Canada Dailymotion archives you'll find them.

i am on holidays from fan fests :) i left my children into the woods for the summer.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada

Rimouski and Trois-Pistoles are in the same region, Bas Saint-Laurent, which is about a 3 hours drive from Quebec City, and 6-hour drive from Montreal. It really is the middle of nowhere. I guess his profile says Rimouski because it is the bigger town (45,000 inhabitants compared to 3,500 for T-P) and probably where his skating club was located.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bas-Saint-Laurent

synteis

Medalist
My mum and I had so much fun at SOI we'll be going to SC in Laval but that brings me to the question of which tickets to buy. I know that some people like the area behind the judges because the skaters' programs are all choreographed around them but have also heard that there are sometimes cameras blocking the way. Also that the corners are good for watching combos and the area behind the K&C is good for watching the skaters before and after their program. What do you all like best and why?