2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 81 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
The initial entry lists for Nationals are up.

Gabby and Veronik are both listed in senior ladies, so evidently somebody is at least hoping they’ll make it there.

From the looks of Gabby's instagram she's back in Toronto, and she's even posted about breakfast w/Jason Brown, which potentially suggests she may be back training at TCC? I really hope so, I was just thinking today about how Kaetlyn and Gabby would likely do so well out of the new GOE changes, so fingers crossed Gabby is at least returning to some form of competition!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Who is the frontrunner for the men now?

I think it's obvious that Keegan is #1 among the full-fledged Canadian male seniors (he's the only one this season who won a GP medal and competed at the GPF), while Stephen is #1 among the Canadian guys who compete as a junior internationally (he's the only one who earned gold at a JGP event, competed at the JGPF, and he even became the first Canadian men's singles skater to win the latter).

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
From the looks of Gabby's instagram she's back in Toronto, and she's even posted about breakfast w/Jason Brown, which potentially suggests she may be back training at TCC? I really hope so, I was just thinking today about how Kaetlyn and Gabby would likely do so well out of the new GOE changes, so fingers crossed Gabby is at least returning to some form of competition!

After watching some skaters this weekend I thought, how much does this sport miss having natural jumpers with quality & technique, speed and of course, ...no UR's. Kaetlyn's record of never missing a podium in 2 seasons is a feat that very few are able to repeat. And Gabby, how much do we miss that 3/3.

I hope and am keen for their return in 2019.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I do wonder whether Gogolev could win nats...
Could he? Certainly, almost anything can happen in a men’s event.

He doesn’t (and shouldn’t) get the component marks that someone like Keegan gets, but if he brings the tech and other people don’t, that wouldn’t matter.

I suspect that Skate Canada might ideally prefer something like a Keegan-Nam-Stephen podium, which would generate excitement for Stephen by having him on the podium but the Worlds team would still be the top national medalists.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
I think Stephen will likely place second at Nationals. I suspect Stephen will do the 4S3T in the short, and keep the 3 quads in the free, so Stephen will have the slight edge technically because of the triple salchow combo, but he will likely lose out on PCS by at least 20 points (9's for Keegan and 7.5's for Stephen). Maybe next year, if Stephen adds a 4th quad into his free skate, then I think it might be a lot closer. I assume that Keegan will be clean enough to win with the gap in components.

I think Skate Canada will push for Nam for silver, but I do not think the difference between Nam and Stephen in components is much. (Nam got ~7.75 in the challenge, and Stephen is getting 7.25~7.5 internationally at the grand prix).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for some reason : i think that Keegan is really the favourite but he will finish second to nam... no idea why... just a feeling but my crystal ball has predicted both crazy things and been often wrong as well ;)
just like i think alaine will win her second national title, nam will win his second too...

but at worlds, keegan will do better than nam and gabby will do better than alaine

regarding gogo : he has to be clean because his skating is still not at the level as the guys almost twice his age. in the short, it's less of a factor but it's huge in the lp. this being said, i can see him placing anywhere and yes, anywhere in the top 10... it will depend if we get jgpf gogo or jgp richmond gogo

for men, what will be interesting to me will be who is a first time national medal winner / top 5

I could see a guy like jo or conrad getting there and benett has improved and keeps improving

So yah.... i don't know a thing except for dance :) weapo psquare canes

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
After watching some skaters this weekend I thought, how much does this sport miss having natural jumpers with quality & technique, speed and of course, ...no UR's. Kaetlyn's record of never missing a podium in 2 seasons is a feat that very few are able to repeat. And Gabby, how much do we miss that 3/3.

I hope and am keen for their return in 2019.

I love Kaetlyn, but this is not true. She was on the podium at every event in 2017-18, but in 2016-17 she was 4th at both the GPF and 4CCs.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
OMG now Im super pumped! Go Gabby. (ofc I hope she's fully ready!):hap93:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I love Kaetlyn, but this is not true. She was on the podium at every event in 2017-18, but in 2016-17 she was 4th at both the GPF and 4CCs.

Okay Snow, how about the most podiums achieved between GPs & Worlds the last 3 years, and the most decorated singles skater from the past 2 Olympics.

Better? Honesty is always appreciated here.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A fellow GS member has just informed me that my Vimeo links are all dead now, so it's not just YouTube that goes after fs-related accounts. :( I don't know how I can share CBC coverage in the future because Dailymotion is prone to removing videos for music violations, so that's not an option. Streamable has a 10-minute limit, so that's fine for individual performances, but it's rather time-consuming to cut and upload each skater/team, especially when my health isn't good. Does anyone have any suggestions?