2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 82 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A fellow GS member has just informed me that my Vimeo links are all dead now, so it's not just YouTube that goes after fs-related accounts. :( I don't know how I can share CBC coverage in the future because Dailymotion is prone to removing videos for music violations, so that's not an option. Streamable has a 10-minute limit, so that's fine for individual performances, but it's rather time-consuming to cut and upload each skater/team, especially when my health isn't good. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is Sabinfire still around? Can you maybe pm him? He was the best at that stuff IMO.

Sad to hear about the interweb police crashing your party. They always come after my Instagram :curse: I’m sure you know it but your work is greatly appreciated.

Good luck and good health :ghug:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So glad to hear about Gabby - hope she can peak at worlds. Canada is really in a redevelopment phase - a bit scarey. They could be out of the team competition with USA, Russia, France, Italy, China and Japan all potentially and realistically ahead. That would be kind of disasterous for Canada. They have to try to get a bronze in dance. But they are so shakey or vulnerable in ladies, men's and pairs. Keegan oculd be top six or out of the top 15 and Msquared could be top 5 or out of the top 10 - the Americans will be key to gauge.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So glad to hear about Gabby - hope she can peak at worlds. Canada is really in a redevelopment phase - a bit scarey. They could be out of the team competition with USA, Russia, France, Italy, China and Japan all potentially and realistically ahead. That would be kind of disasterous for Canada. They have to try to get a bronze in dance. But they are so shakey or vulnerable in ladies, men's and pairs. Keegan oculd be top six or out of the top 15 and Msquared could be top 5 or out of the top 10 - the Americans will be key to gauge.

skater boy : japan has no pair, no longer a competitive dance team
china : boyang is struggling, their top pairs are injured, no dance team, no ladies,
france : they have no singles
italy : caro is out with injury, their best dance team also retired, so did their top pairs.... they have good replacements but i don't think they are so much of a threat.

no matter what you say, even in its worse case scenario right now, with so many stars retiring, Canada is still one of the 3 countries with strength in the 4 events..... do not forget that it doesn't matter that japan or russia have 20 of the top 30 ladies, only one of them will skate the SP during a team event...

Gabby will be back. I trust her. She is a fighter. She won't let depression end her career.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
skater boy : japan has no pair, no longer a competitive dance team
china : boyang is struggling, their top pairs are injured, no dance team, no ladies,
france : they have no singles
italy : caro is out with injury, their best dance team also retired, so did their top pairs.... they have good replacements but i don't think they are so much of a threat.

no matter what you say, even in its worse case scenario right now, with so many stars retiring, Canada is still one of the 3 countries with strength in the 4 events..... do not forget that it doesn't matter that japan or russia have 20 of the top 30 ladies, only one of them will skate the SP during a team event...

Gabby will be back. I trust her. She is a fighter. She won't let depression end her career.

France can field skaters in ladies and mens singles. They certainly won't post the highest scores, but their team is anchored by the top dance team and possibly the top pairs team. I'd say that's enough. I actually think France is fairly competitive for a bronze.

China has two other podium/near-podium competitive pairs teams in Yu/Zhang and Peng/Jin. They have a dance team (again, not the best, but they have one that has shown some signs of improvement this year). They have Yi Christy Leung skating at Nationals so I presume she could skate with the team. Probably not enough for podium, but I could see top 4 or 5.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
France can field skaters in ladies and mens singles. They certainly won't post the highest scores, but their team is anchored by the top dance team and possibly the top pairs team. I'd say that's enough. I actually think France is fairly competitive for a bronze.

China has two other podium/near-podium competitive pairs teams in Yu/Zhang and Peng/Jin. They have a dance team (again, not the best, but they have one that has shown some signs of improvement this year). They have Yi Christy Leung skating at Nationals so I presume she could skate with the team. Probably not enough for podium, but I could see top 4 or 5.

IF France's top dance and pairs team want to compete.... and i am not sure their boys are really ready...Mae seems to do better but she is wild.

Yu is injured. Which dance tam? wang liu? ok... yeah... but not challenging any of the other team contenders except for Japan. and finally, I thought Leung skated for Hong kong?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What team competition? The Olympic team event isn't for three-and-a-half years.

exactly.... i wonder why skaterboy keeps bringing the team event... in 2 years from now... fine... but now???Who knows who will be skating in 3 years? and that is not just for Canada... James Cipres could be out.. Yuzu as well... many could be injured or not performing to their best anymore... when it's time to prepare for the team event, the federation will get its team ready, just like they did for 2018.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IF France's top dance and pairs team want to compete.... and i am not sure their boys are really ready...Mae seems to do better but she is wild.

Yu is injured. Which dance tam? wang liu? ok... yeah... but not challenging any of the other team contenders except for Japan. and finally, I thought Leung skated for Hong kong?

It looks as though Leung may be switching to China, she is listed as participating in their Ladies Nats. first I heard of it, but she is listed there :think:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

But does France even have the top dance team anymore? Everyone was touting them and several of us said no way they would ever beat V/M last season and it happened.
Now, they have more competition from N.A. and honestly, I hope they get knocked off the top of the podium again if they are even able to make it another 4 years.
They have never done a thing for me and they are way too inflated with scores for what is put on the ice. JMHO.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It looks as though Leung may be switching to China, she is listed as participating in their Ladies Nats. first I heard of it, but she is listed there :think:

If Wikipedia is to believed, Yi Christy previously has competed at both Chinese Nationals and Hong Kong Nationals.

So I don't know whether competing again in Chinese Nationals should be taken as a sign of switching to representing China???

I agree that crystal-ball speculation about the 2022 Olympic team event is premature. Predictions at this point do not seem worth much -- regarding what Canada will bring to the table and what other countries will bring to the table.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There is a WORLD TEAM TROPHY scheduled for April 11-14, 2019 in Fukuoka JPN.
If that's what he's referring to, my response would be, with all due respect to the organizers of the World Team Trophy: so what? The World Team Trophy is an excuse to go to Japan and have a good time; nobody, at the end of their career, laments never having won it. Canada didn't even place on the podium at the last two, including the one held half a year before we won the Olympic team event.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
^ Agreed and to add, WTT is skewed towards single skaters where there are double the amount of single entries to dance/pairs entries. A Fed needs to be well-rounded to podium in the Olympic Team event. And how well-rounded was Canada? Not only did our team win the team event but also got two bronzes and a gold in the individual events of 3 disciplines and all of these individual medalists also won at least one World title from the same quad. Did anyone predict these results in 2014-2015? Don’t think so.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^ Points are designed to reward a certain country. Hard to take the event or the format seriously, versus say Worlds or the OGs.

Scout

Final Flight
^ Agreed and to add, WTT is SEVERELY skewed towards single skaters where there are double the amount of single entries to dance/pairs entries.

IFYP. ;)

Just to elaborate further on what you've said - the word "double" doesn't really convey the true impact of having twice as many single entries as dance to pair events and the ranking (as opposed to points) system, because the top 2 spots in both men & ladies gives 46 points, which is way more than double the 6 points that would be earned placing last and second last in both men and ladies. Makes it quite easy for the host country to make up the absolutely maximum 10 point deficit in pairs & dance combined.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
But does France even have the top dance team anymore? Everyone was touting them and several of us said no way they would ever beat V/M last season and it happened.
Now, they have more competition from N.A. and honestly, I hope they get knocked off the top of the podium again if they are even able to make it another 4 years.
They have never done a thing for me and they are way too inflated with scores for what is put on the ice. JMHO.

Not to dwell too much on this since we are in the Canadian thread, but the judges are keen on keeping P/C ahead. I also find their material underwhelming this year but the trajectory was clear after last season that they would be propped up. It'll be interesting to see how C/B and W/P being back in the game mix things up, but right now I see the Russians (specifically S/K) as being the only team to close the gap. I have high hopes for W/P though and hopefully Piper and Paul have a strong second half of the season too.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
WTT was always designed to sell skating in Japan. It is a great way to earn money in a less than stressful environment. It is so blatant it isn't funny in how it decided what the focus would be. I just never have seen Canada so "devastated".
But they do have a chance at a world bronze in ice dance but like Russia they need one team to clearly be no.1. It isn't unfathomable that 1 or 2 Canadian pair teams could be the Americans and even the Italians as well as a
Chinese and or Russian team. If Gabby comes back she could be a bit of a wild card. I honestly don't think she will podium but top 8 is not impossible. Ditto for Keegan. The one to watch is Nam = will he make the team? Will he make the freeskate and can he regain that momentum. It would be nice to see Alaine to regain her old glory too but it is asking a lot statistically or odds wise to expect both Gabby and Alaine would come back for worlds in their old forms and somehow be competitive with the Japanese ladies who look really strong; the Russians are all over the place right now.

Haleth

On the Ice
On this last day of 2018 I'd like to share some of my favourite programs by Canadian skaters performed during this year in competition. In no order, just as they come to me:

Kaetlyn's SP and FS (just watched her performances again at the PC singles event)
Keegan's SP, FS (2017-2018 edition because I'm not a fan of the lost 30 seconds), and the new SP.
Joseph and Conrad's SPs for this season
Piper and Paul's Vincent FD was a delight to watch at SCI even as I iced my broken leg
Vincent and Moir's programs
Gabby's 2017-2018 programs
Stephen's SP
Patrick's SP at SCI

Wishing all Canadian skaters a healthy 2019 full of goals (small and big) met or exceeded!

Also wishing Siberia a healthy 2019 in which ISU fixes the rights issues so those videos stop getting pulled. Thank you for all your hard work for so many skaters!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
2018 for me, will always be remembered as the golden age of Canadian skating. So many spectacular performances and moments of pure joy. Thanks to all for contributing to this thread and I look forward to sharing more with you, in 2019.

:hb: