2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

mrsaybia

Rinkside
Hello,

This isn't the right topic, but as it's about Canada, I'd like to ask something.

The World Championship in 2020 will be held in Montreal, at the Bell Centre. I saw the inside of the ice rink and it's an ice hockey rink, right?
Does anyone know if the plastic border in front row will be removed during the championship or not?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hello,

This isn't the right topic, but as it's about Canada, I'd like to ask something.

The World Championship in 2020 will be held in Montreal, at the Bell Centre. I saw the inside of the ice rink and it's an ice hockey rink, right?
Does anyone know if the plastic border in front row will be removed during the championship or not?
I’d assume so.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hello,

If you mean the see-through shielding on top of the boards to prevent pucks from flying over the boards into the crowd, I think it's fairly standard to remove it for figure skating. They did that at Doug Mitchell (a hockey arena) for the last Canadian Nationals.

When we went to see Crystal in our local hockey arena, they had removed not only the shielding but the boards as well!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also, it will be an interesting battle for those three Worlds spots at Nationals as both W/P abd F-B/S will debut their programs there.

No, FB/S will do domestic competitions before that. In fact, they are entered in the Quebec Championnats D'Été in August. I assume they'll also do Challenge for sure in Dec and probbly Sectionals before that.

And I wouldn't be surprised if W/P do a version of at least one of their programs on the Tour, although we won't see comp versions until Nationals.

mrsaybia

Rinkside
If you mean the see-through shielding on top of the boards to prevent pucks from flying over the boards into the crowd, I think it's fairly standard to remove it for figure skating. They did that at Doug Mitchell (a hockey arena) for the last Canadian Nationals.

When we went to see Crystal in our local hockey arena, they had removed not only the shielding but the boards as well!

Thanks! That sounds great! We hope to manage to go to the Worlds then, but that depends on our finance..... We'd love to go, but as it looks like it now, it will be Stockholm, as we live in Europe. But if we can make it, we are going to Montreal of course. After seeing the Worlds in Milano, we'd love to go again! ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I just want to say I'm happy to see Alaine on an entry list. :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's the JUNIOR DANCE entry list for MINTO:

Alicia FABBRI / Paul AYER
Amelia BOONE / Malcolm KOWAN
Ashlynne STAIRS / Elliott GRAHAM
Bridget LE DONNE / Jakub SMAL
Cassidy McFARLANE / Alexandre FAUCHE
Colleen TORDOFF / Vladimir TCHERNOV
Ellie FISHER / Simon-Pierre MALETTE-PAQUETTE
Emmy BRONSARD / Aissa BOUARAGUIA
Erin GILLIES / Joshua TARRY
Irina GALIYANOVA / Grayson LOCHHEAD
Jasmine LEVESQUE / Olivier POUPART
Jessica LI / Jacob RICHMOND
Jessica-Lee BEHIEL / Jackson BEHIEL
Katrine ROY / Oliver ZHANG
Miku MAKITA / Tyler GUNARA
Nadiia BASHYNSKA / Peter BEAUMONT
Natalie D'ALESSANDRO / Bruce WADDELL
Olivia McISAAC / Corey CIRCELLI
Shaelene KATRAYAN / Jordan DEROCHIE
Sophia SIMITSAKOS / Jeffrey WONG
Sophia STRACHAN /Everest ZHU
Yuka ORIHARA / Lee ROYER

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
This was Tessa's post for Olympic Day (June 23): https://www.instagram.com/p/BkXiTTfANKb/

They were so over the moon to be chosen as flag bearers. It's great that despite the wishes of some questionable posters on here no misfortune befell them in PyeongChang. Though we already knew about Hayley Wickenheiser. ;)

Chiddy also shared some nice photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkYfmRyh6Cy/

Does anyone else think Lubov should just take up singles skating? She's a human pretzel.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkYAeXED8KZ/

nocturnalis

Medalist
This was Tessa's post for Olympic Day (June 23): https://www.instagram.com/p/BkXiTTfANKb/

They were so over the moon to be chosen as flag bearers. It's great that despite the wishes of some questionable posters on here no misfortune befell them in PyeongChang. Though we already knew about Hayley Wickenheiser. ;)

Chiddy also shared some nice photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkYfmRyh6Cy/

Does anyone else think Lubov should just take up singles skating? She's a human pretzel.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkYAeXED8KZ/

Lubov can't consistently land the easiest of triples. The smart move would have been to convert to ice dance like 7 years ago.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Lubov can't consistently land the easiest of triples. The smart move would have been to convert to ice dance like 7 years ago.

I'll disagree. Can't think of any ice dance teams composed with a former pairs skater that have outranked Lubov's international accomplishments. (Certainly not athletes that left pairs within the last 7 years).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
bourne was a pair skater... if i recall correctly

(but she probably switched much earlier)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I actually mean current ice dance teams. Not to dismiss the relevance for dance teams in the past; but the dance field today is far deeper and international than it was prior to the dispersal of former Soviet coaches in the 90's.

For Lubov to be more successful internationally as a dancer than she has been as a pairs skater, she would have had to have been top 2 in Russia.

She has had success in pairs. Not at the World podium or Olympic podium level of the sport, but the very top of the dance field right now have been in the discipline a LONG time.

Tanager

On the Ice
Part of me would really like to see Lubov spend a year with Cirque - make some money and enjoy a new fulfilling challenge - before returning to seriously train for 2022 (assuming the right partner was out there).

Another part of me wonders if the jumps will always be an issue for her to the point that a run at 2022 would be too much of a gamble.

I don't think she's given any indication of her long-term plans at this point? (Only that she's joining Cirque for an undetermined amount of time?). Whatever she decides, I will cheer her on. I loved her and Dylan together and love her bubbly personality too. :hap10:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I actually mean current ice dance teams. Not to dismiss the relevance for dance teams in the past; but the dance field today is far deeper and international than it was prior to the dispersal of former Soviet coaches in the 90's.

For Lubov to be more successful internationally as a dancer than she has been as a pairs skater, she would have had to have been top 2 in Russia.

She has had success in pairs. Not at the World podium or Olympic podium level of the sport, but the very top of the dance field right now have been in the discipline a LONG time.

yeah .. i know what you meant... but at the same time : would it be necessary for lubov to claim an equivalent success in dance? For instance, she may have had discovered that she really loves skating and just wants to continue a few more years, even if it means not even top 5 in Canada...

Another skater who actually switched to dance was Fedor Andreev... and yes... that was also years ago... in any case, i like Tanager's idea... one year circus then back? i'd like to see her skate more often for canada.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
yeah .. i know what you meant... but at the same time : would it be necessary for lubov to claim an equivalent success in dance? For instance, she may have had discovered that she really loves skating and just wants to continue a few more years, even if it means not even top 5 in Canada...

Sure. Just as likely to lose a partner to retirement in dance, though, as it is in pairs. And likewise hard for ladies to find a quality male partner.

There are current international-level dancers that have switched from other disciplines post-Juniors within the last 7 years. Kana Muramoto, Yura Min, Joti Polizoakis are three of them. Adel Tankova switched from pairs. Lubov could certainly have switched to dance. It's just that none of the teams with those athletes have exceeded the level of success Lubov has had in pairs. (Nor would any of those teams have made the Russian or Canadian World or Olympic Team in dance).