Paul Wylie - Commentator | Golden Skate

Paul Wylie - Commentator

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
It was very weird to see Paul Wylie commentating during the coverage of Skate Canada instead of Dick Button. I think he did a pretty good job.

JOHIO2

Medalist
I liked his low-key approach. Can't wait to see how his career as a commentator develops.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I did not see the American coverage, but do think Wylie a good choice for commentator. I think Dick is getting a little "long in the tooth." It's always refreshing to see a new face and get a different perspective on things.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have not seen this recent commentary by Paul Wylie, but I remember liking very much indeed how he did it in a pro-am competition in 2000 or 2001.

Marjaana

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jaana said:
I have not seen this recent commentary by Paul Wylie, but I remember liking very much indeed how he did it in a pro-am competition in 2000 or 2001.

Marjaana

Yes, I do remember Paul doing commentary during the Masters of Figure Skating
competition of fall 2000. I'll never forget the joy he felt for Todd when he successfully landed the quad during his interpretive free program. I miss Paul's skating (one of our biggest reasons for going to SOI since 1993), and was so thrilled to see him as a guest star in our local SOI shows last season. I even got to shake hands with him at the end of our show from our on ice seats in Trenton. :love: So, if we don't always get to see him live :cry:, I'll be happy to see him in the broadcast booth! He's easy on the eyes too (yeah, I know that has nothing to do with his commentating, but...). :laugh:

Last edited:
I saw him at Skate America in the ABC booth, but I don't think he actually made the TV showing. He was probably getting the feel of it.

As I watched Skate Canada, I found his soft voice actually pleasing because it was not obtrusive while the skaters were on. I'd like to see and hear more of him as the GPs go on.

BTW, was Peter relegated to just those silly interviews?

Joe

About Peter Carruther's silly interviews, I blame Peter for not making them more interesting. He could prepare some more serious and penetrating questions in advance, so it wouldn't just be, "So what happened on that triple Lutz," "Oh, I just have to go back and work hard for my next event," "Well, good luck, back to you, Dick."

Mathman said:
About Peter Carruther's silly interviews, I blame Peter for not making them more interesting. He could prepare some more serious and penetrating questions in advance, so it wouldn't just be, "So what happened on that triple Lutz," "Oh, I just have to go back and work hard for my next event," "Well, good luck, back to you, Dick."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: How true!

Hey, btw, Susie is getting better, and I like the format at ESPN. We get much more skating than on ABC.

Joe

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I am quite happy to see Peter back on the interviews rather than in the booth. When he first started commentating back in the early '90s I thought he might improve over time. He never has. I may have become more resigned to his "style" but I never feel like he tells me anything I don't already know and he insists on telling me things that are self-evident. I don't need to be told tevery time someone fells. or that a landing needs to be solid.

Peter has always seemed to me like a Sunday School teacher with a class of 4-year-olds. I wish he would assume that his audience knows what they are watching. instead of assuming we are all idiots. I hate feeling like I am being talked down to.

As for Paul, I am glad to see he is being very deliberate in his commentating and learning his craft. I think he will get better and bertter. He already had the quality of persistance.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I missed Uncle Dick and Aunt Peggy. :cry: :cry: I don't know whether I liked or disliked Paul commentating. I am leaning more toward it being very monotone.

Dee

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Dee4707 said:
I missed Uncle Dick and Aunt Peggy. :cry: :cry: I don't know whether I liked or disliked Paul commentating. I am leaning more toward it being very monotone.

Dee

I thought it was monoton-ish too, but I figured that's b/c it's his first event like this. I noticed that he got better as the broadcast went on. At first he sounded like he was reading from a script or the list of jumps (which I'm sure they all do), but it seemed to get better and I'm looking forward to hearing more from him as a commentator. Not bad for his first GP.

Btw, did anyone else catch the irony when he was asked about Eman's hot/cold performances? Wasn't Paul known for that?

mpal2

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I like the format at ESPN. We get much more skating than on ABC.

Joe
I would like the format a whole lot better if it included short programs. :scowl: :disagree:

They reran Skate America so many times that they clearly have enough air time to show short programs as well and possibly show the competitions closer to the actual date the event took place. :mad:

TwizzlerS

Rinkside
I thought Paul did a very respectable job. He has done his homework on CoP and provided good insights into how it affects the scores of the skaters. His commentary for pairs was particularly refreshing. I had forgotten he skated pairs and was reminded of this because of his knowledge of lifts etc. He was probably nervous and so came off a bit monotonic and humorless. I kind of miss Dick's funky remarks; you never know what's going to come out of his mouth. And most times, it's funny. But, I think Paul will get more comfortable with time and relax a little.

I think ESPN made a good decision to have Peter do the silly stuff and the interviews. He's like the class clown whereas Paul is the diligent student. So, the roles they were assigned were appropriate. For the most part, Peter does well in the interviews. At least he's comfortable with the skaters and they seem to like him. ABC has had some really poor post-competition interviewers, like David Santee (you have an excellent chance to remain in 6th place).

I also saw the irony in his remarks about Eman. It reminded me of Susie Wynne making a big deal about the lack of height differential for some teams (e.g., Denkova and Staviski). She should know and maybe that's why she seems so obsessed with the issue.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I really enjoyed how he pointed out all the pair moves. He has a real technical approach. However I am not sure I like his monitone voice either. However it was a good start.

heyang

Record Breaker
I enjoyed Paul's commentary. He presented neutrally. Just what we need after Scott Hamilton's raving live editorial during the pairs LP at the Olympics.

Linny

Final Flight
Paul

Had a good snort when Terry asked Paul what it was like to fit a quad into a routine... Paul should have responded "Don't know, haven't been there". He could have gone on and explained that the big jump in his day was the triple axel and what it took for him to fit that in... but to respond as an expert of something he'd never done was kinda odd.

At least Dick Button admits often that he's not speaking from personal experience but, rather, a lifetime of studying the sport.

Linny

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
heyang said:
I enjoyed Paul's commentary. He presented neutrally. Just what we need after Scott Hamilton's raving live editorial during the pairs LP at the Olympics.
Please don't get me started on Scott Hamilton's commentating??? :mad: :mad:

Dee

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
I did not see the American coverage, but do think Wylie a good choice for commentator. I think Dick is getting a little "long in the tooth." It's always refreshing to see a new face and get a different perspective on things.

Dick Button "long in the tooth"? :rofl: :rofl: Actually, I love the guy - his commentating, that is. :biggrin:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
And be careful what you say about his age since I was born the same year he was!! :rofl: :rofl:

2ndmark

Rinkside
I would say Paul has done a credible job. He interjected interesting facts into last night's NHK telecast, and indeed seems to be well-versed in CoP, he just doesn't bring the level of excitement that others do. I'm sorry, Dick's enthusiasm over a great program is infectious.

And as for Peter- I've never had a problem with his commentary. It would certainly seem that he's being pushed out. He is an Olympic Pairs medalist and has years of on-screen experience. It is ludicrous to have that resource standing around rinkside with a mic when he should be calling pairs.

That said- Paul grew on me a bit last night and I've always been fond of Susie. But I will anticipate the return of Dick and Peggy at Nats. (And perhaps the Dec. Marshall's competition?)