Going back....Favorite Childhood Cartoons | Golden Skate

Going back....Favorite Childhood Cartoons

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So let's hear it, and have some laughs while we're at it! What cartoons did you just have to watch as a kid? If you can, give a description of what the cartoon was about, for those who may not have seen it.

For me, Saturday morning belonged to The Super Friends! A lot of comic fans now think the show was bad/stupid (it did have its fair share of gaffes), but it is what introduced me to comics and super heroes in general.

Basically, it was a watered down version of the Justice League. Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman & Hawkwoman, and Atom all together to fight crime. To give the show a more "inclusive" feel, ethnic characters were created for the show. While it was a good intention, they named the characters after their nationalities instead of their powers, so it was a bit of a fail. :rolleye:

We had a black man who could shoot lightning from his hands (Black Vulcan), a Japanese man who could turn into the wind, or invisible, or into fire (Samurai), a Native American man who could grow up to 50 feet tall (Apache Chief), and a Mexican man who could teleport and project holograms from his eyes (El Dorado).

They also had two non-powered sidekicks (Wendy & Marvin) who were later replaced by alien teen siblings who could shape-shift (the Wonder Twins, Zan & Jayna).

What did you all watch?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Inspector Gadget !! My older sister loved it and I inherited a bunch of recorded from TV VHS cassette tapes of the show with late 80’s commercials and all!! What I wouldn’t give to have those tapes today. The exploding letter with his top secret orders...Penny Solving the crime...and Brain the dog too!!! That helicopter hat though was my favorite!! Oh the memories! Go Gadget Go!!!!

https://youtu.be/ACpCvB7hDKk

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Sailor Moon! I watched it after school every day. It's endearing to me how much Evgenia loves it (it also makes me feel 1,000,000 years old).

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Bullwinkle Moose, Rocket J. Squirrel and... :yahoo: FRACTURED FAIRY TALES!!

EDT. As an adult I still love cartoons... Cannot wait to see Isle of Dogs

Spinning

On the Ice
The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo, X-men, Justice League, Avengers,Teen Titans... I'm still watching them. Lol. My one year old son knows all the Marvel&DC names. Either he is super smart or we're bad parents. :hopelessness:

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Voltron, Transformers, Scooby Doo, Josie and the Pussycats, Tom and Jerry, The Jetsons, The Flintstones, Bugs Bunny, Care Bears, My Little Pony, Smurfs, Gummy Bears, Belle and Sebastian, and of course, Totoro.

Total child of the 80's!

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
As a kid, I watched a lot of Scooby Doo, Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Inspector Gadget, Rugrats, and I'm sure there are some others that I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Inspector Gadget !! My older sister loved it and I inherited a bunch of recorded from TV VHS cassette tapes of the show with late 80’s commercials and all!! What I wouldn’t give to have those tapes today. The exploding letter with his top secret orders...Penny Solving the crime...and Brain the dog too!!! That helicopter hat though was my favorite!! Oh the memories! Go Gadget Go!!!!

https://youtu.be/ACpCvB7hDKk

Even now the theme tune comes into my head at random times, and then can't get shifted...

Voltron, Transformers, Scooby Doo, Josie and the Pussycats, Tom and Jerry, The Jetsons, The Flintstones, Bugs Bunny, Care Bears, My Little Pony, Smurfs, Gummy Bears, Belle and Sebastian, and of course, Totoro.

Total child of the 80's!

Never heard tell of "Voltron", "Belle and Sebastian", or "Totoro", and didn't realise that there was a TV series of "My Little Pony". But, I agree with all the others you mentioned.

As a kid, I watched a lot of Scooby Doo, Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Inspector Gadget, Rugrats, and I'm sure there are some others that I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

Snap!

As well as those already mentioned, my list would include:

• "Goof Troop"
  • "Quack Pack"
  • "Bonkers"
  • "Darkwing Duck"
  • "Gargoyles"
  • "Timon and Pumbaa"
  • "Aladdin" (TV Series)
  • "The Little Mermaid" (TV Series)...

I was such a Disney kid! But, I watched other cartoons too!

• "Top Cat" (loved "The Phil Silvers Show", so no surprise that I loved "Top Cat" too!)
  • "Wacky Races"
  • "Dastardly and Muttley" (Gaah! Now I'm singing "Catch the pigeon..." :bang: )
  • "Yogi Bear"
  • "Casper" (both pre- and post-film versions)
  • "Popeye"
  • "Pink Panther"
  • "Hong Kong Phooey"
  • "Animaniacs"
  • "CatDog" (another series whose theme tune often comes into my head randomly)
  • "Tiny Toon Adventures"
  • "Tazmania"
  • "Dogtanian"
  • all the "Merrie Melody" cartoons...

OK, so I just loved cartoons! :biggrin:

They don't make 'em like they used to! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Snorks!

Smurfs, She-Ra, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite. Jetsons, Flintstones, Inspector Gadget, etc

Oh and 2 Stupid Dogs!:laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Snorks!

Smurfs, She-Ra, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite. Jetsons, Flintstones, Inspector Gadget, etc

I forgot all about "Snorks"! Yeah, I watched it too!

Didn't realise that She-Ra had her own series (can I just say, looking back from my current age, she is HOT! :love: ). I did watch her brother's series, though. ;)

Not familiar with "Rainbow Brite" or "2 Stupid Dogs", I'm afraid.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Didn't realise that She-Ra had her own series (can I just say, looking back from my current age, she is HOT! :love: ). I did watch her brother's series, though. ;)

Forgot to add. Have you guys seen the adverts featuring He-Man and Skeletor? They are really funny!

Here is the first one:

Unofficial upload on YouTube
Official upload by the video's makers on Vimeo

And here is it's even funnier sequel:

Unofficial upload on YouTube
Official upload by the video's makers on Vimeo

Enjoy! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I loved Battle of the Planets. Imagine my surprise when I found my best friend was also watching battle of the planets at the same time I was watching it. She was in Tokyo and I was in Ottawa. Small worlds, huh?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Snorks!

Haha..I did an art project on the Snorks and my teacher loved it!! One of the few paintings I ever successfully completed.

There was a random cartoon that I just found going thru a box of VHS cassettes from the 80’s. Anyone remember the Shirt Tails?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Haha..I did an art project on the Snorks and my teacher loved it!! One of the few paintings I ever successfully completed.

There was a random cartoon that I just found going thru a box of VHS cassettes from the 80’s. Anyone remember the Shirt Tails?

OMG YES! I loved them! (Shirt Tails that is)

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember most of the 'toons that people have posted here. Shirt Tails....lol I haven't thought of that cartoon in years.

I also was a fan of Wacky Races, loved the Compact Pussycat!

Ducky

On the Ice
Bullwinkle Moose, Rocket J. Squirrel and... :yahoo: FRACTURED FAIRY TALES!!

EDT. As an adult I still love cartoons... Cannot wait to see Isle of Dogs

Isle of Dogs is soooo good!

As a kid I loved Muppet Babies and My Little Ponies.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Isle of Dogs is soooo good!

As a kid I loved Muppet Babies and My Little Ponies.

I watched a lot of Jim Henson's programmes too ("Seseme Street"; "Fraggle Rock"; "Muppet Babies"; "The Muppet Show"; "Dinosaurs") and nearly started listing them in my first post for this thread before I remembered that we were talking about cartoons rather than any children's programme.

But, I had completely forgotten that "Muppet Babies" WAS a cartoon! :drama: :bang:

And now I'm singing their theme tune! :laugh:

While I'm here, earlier on I remembered another cartoon I forgot about - "Teenage Mutent Hero Turtles".

Revise that earlier statement - now I'm singing the Turtles theme! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh goodness so many!

Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Gummy Bears, My Little Pony, TaleSpin, Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, Inspector Gadget, Tom & Jerry, Space Ghost (before he became super adult), Smurfs, Snorks, Muppet Babies, Transformers, XMen, ThunderCats, Top Cat, Flintstones, The Jetsons... and those are just off the top of my head!

ETA: Oh! And Johnny Quest! He had a pug!