2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm pretty sure Ross isn't continuing, but Grant is.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh that's great about Grant. It seem:biggrin: he was retiring, but I enjoy his skating so I don't mind if he continues.

Grant is such a tease! Telling us last year this was his last season, agreeing (essentially) with Tarah when she said she needed a BFF to replace the retiring Grant, saying just two days ago on SM how much weight he’d gained since Nats, and he might return? :laugh2: I love me Mr. Pewter and I even follow QiuQiu the catball, but I give up:biggrin:

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, major props to Max for just making a decision and going on with his life:rock: I mean, I’ve done the retirement thing, from something I was (told I was) good at and really liked doing and it’s not *that* hard.....

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Grant is such a tease! Telling us last year this was his last season, agreeing (essentially) with Tarah when she said she needed a BFF to replace the retiring Grant, saying just two days ago on SM how much weight he’d gained since Nats, and he might return? :laugh2: I love me Mr. Pewter and I even follow QiuQiu the catball, but I give up:biggrin:

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, major props to Max for just making a decision and going on with his life:rock: I mean, I’ve done the retirement thing, from something I was (told I was) good at and really liked doing and it’s not *that* hard.....

It’s different though. I think that being a skater is probably like being a singer, actor, dancer - part of your identity. It can be hard to make the transition away from something so all consuming without a clear idea of who you are apart from being “a skater” or “a singer” and what you want to do next. I think Max said he’s always wanted to do wealth management. He has worked really hard to make it happen, but he was also lucky to find something that really intrigued him and that helped him see what the future can be.

Change subject:

So did anyone catch this - Alex Johnson + Shae Lynn Bourne = sounds like a great idea!

https://twitter.com/alex_m_johnson/status/979175826460725248?s=21

narcissa

Record Breaker
I never said people can still do them, I'm saying Camden isn't the first to do them like this, Ryan Bradley has been doing them (when he competed) and now as a pro for years.

And you don't need to school me on rotating jumps, been doing that for the last 30 years or so.

Just wondering, why do you take every single disagreement as an affront to your expertise? lol
Relax, I don't think there's a poster on GS who doesn't know that you're an elite skater who knows her elite skating stuff. Other than ones who just joined, but I'm sure they'll find out soon enough.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Vincent's position as the "number 2" will be heavily dependent on URs. If he can clean them up then sure, he's right there. But if he can't, he leaves the door wide open, and anyone who thinks Jason would just stroll past a wide open door is nutso.

I'm banking very heavily on a season of vengeance from Jason. People forget that behind the sunny, joyful smile there is a fearsome, hardened competitor.

I'm also bank that at some point next season the USFS/US skating fans are going to suddenly realise that they really miss Max.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh that's great about Grant. It seem he was retiring, but I enjoy his skating so I don't mind if he continues.

Me too! He's had some success with the quad too and I think he can be a strong late bloomer.

Nathan, Vincent and Alexei are my early picks but Jason Brown's a perennial fave and hopefully he recovers from injury and maintains a healthy season.

century2009

On the Ice
I dont see Ross coming back given what happened at Nationals for spots, which is understandable.

I really had hopes for Vincent. Throughout this season, he pushed himself way too much with his layout trying to catch the top men in the field, when he didnt need to.

I was hoping that now, he was Senior, he would fix these URs, but he really didnt focus on that but adding quad after quad after quad. And now, the judges see him as a skater that they need to watch out for URs and that is not a good thing.

oly2018

Final Flight
I also think Vincent is the wildcard. I don't know why his team allowed him to continue with a layout he clearly could not handle. I hope they focus on getting a few quads steady, before they introduce more.

lurkz2

On the Ice
Bumping this thread...

How does Jason’s move to team Brian affect pre-season expectations of how the men will perform at Nationals?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Bumping this thread...

How does Jason’s move to team Brian affect pre-season expectations of how the men will perform at Nationals?

I don't think it changed it a ton. I think Jason was still expected to be in contention for a World team spot. I think again the only spot that was "locked" is Nathan and the other two were more up for grabs. Depending on how he progresses under Brian and his team's tutelage, may position Jason better relative to the other big contenders in the U.S., i.e. Vincent Zhou, Alexei Krasnozhon, etc.

In hindsight, Jason still ranked pretty highly among the U.S. men. He does have the ISU championship medal from 4CC and he had the third highest season's best score behind Nathan and Vincent. Not making the Olympic team and his struggles at Nationals are what people will remember, but on the whole he didn't do THAT much worse then the rest of the U.S. men's field, other than, again, Nathan.

Of course, it's a question whether Jason can break through to be a top world contender alongside Nathan. He has to contend with what's left of the current field -- Yuzu, Nathan Boyang, Shoma, Mikhail plus all the rising stars ( Vincent, Alexei, Camden Pulkinen, Tomoki Hiwatashi and Andrew Torgashev at home in the U.S.; his now training mate Stephen Gololev (though he isn't old enough yet), Joseph Pham and Conrad Orazel in Canada ; Dmitri Aliev and Alexei Erakov from Russia ) There's a lot of skepticism on that, but I think in this first year, he will be ahead to regain some confidence, re-establish his position in the U.S. team and maybe improve his world standing. I don't think it's completely out of the question for him to be a World/Olympic contender (though I see why people think his time has passed). However if it happens, I don't see it happening for a little while cause it takes a while to retool new technique.

And honestly, even it he never reaches the absolute top echelon or the sport, but he still reaches his own personal goals, i.e land some quads and maybe make another Olympic team, then the move to a new coach was a good one. And also there are still people who are fans of his skating and won’t begrudge more opportunities to see him compete.

Last edited:

tosca

On the Ice
Bumping this thread...

I still think Nathan is #1, Vincent #2, and Jason #3.

If I was Vincent's team, I'd do what Nathan's team did. Senior year 1, show off the tech. Senior year 2, show the artistry. Say what you will, Vincent has the capability to perform and interpret but his layout was too packed to give stronger choreo. I know Vincent is hit with carrots but he has shown that he can do mostly clean programs as well. The USfed cannot ignore the quad revolution nor the need for artistry.

I think Alexei will be #4 but I REALLY hope tomoki can get his act together and be our #5 (or 4...).

That being said, what an exciting time for men's. The field is so deep not just internationally but domestically as well!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Why is everyone being so quick to anoint Vincent as the locked-in number 2? He didn't exactly provide the evidence this season that he is.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Vincent’s placement at Nationals the past two years, tech content, 6th place at Olympics, SP at worlds ?

I don’t think Vincent is locked-in at #2 though ... and there are the new rules to consider as well.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Vincent’s placement at Nationals the past two years, tech content, 6th place at Olympics, SP at worlds ?

To contrast: Vincent's GP season and performance at Worlds.

He got toasted at Worlds by a guy who'd only had two weeks' preparation.

Tech content? Wanna go back through those protocols for Worlds? Cause last time I checked, for the tech content argument to be viable, it probably should involve rotated jumps.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I was thinking I shouldn’t even bring up worlds ... though wasn’t Vincent injured?

I am not trying to argue for Vincent as the certain #2, as I don’t think that is for sure. Those are just the reasons I think why some would consider him the #2 guy

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Camden's JW performance was disappointing. Because he was 17th in the SP, he was 6th overall, finishing behind the Russians, Italians and Canadians, so the US won't get two men at every JGP event this fall. He did well to finish 4th in the FS, but it wasn't enough to overcome the SP debacle.

It's just too bad Alexei Krasnozhon sprained his ankle badly and had to withdraw from the FS, giving the Russians the top two placements. Alexei is moving up to senior this year. Not sure about Camden, but he may want to develop a quad before he moves up, too.

Erokhov is moving up and Rizzo is, too, and probably Phan.

Tahuu

On the Ice
It's hard to be sure. Without Adam, Max and Ross, the fight for the top spots may not be as tight. My feeling now is Nathan, Jason and Vincent in that order. First, the new rules are more favorable to Jason than Vincent. A fall on a quad would probably only give Vincent something near a perfect 2A. Under-rotated quads will not be a match to Jason's triples w/ 3-4 GOE. Secondly, Jason is expected to improve further under Orsar and his GOE and PCS advantage will equal to 2 of Vincent's quads. Lastly, Vincent's new show program at SOI indirectly suggests his PCS may not drastically improve next season.

TeamTCC

Rinkside
It's hard to be sure. Without Adam, Max and Ross, the fight for the top spots may not be as tight. My feeling now is Nathan, Jason and Vincent in that order. First, the new rules are more favorable to Jason than Vincent. A fall on a quad would probably only give Vincent something near a perfect 2A. Under-rotated quads will not be a match to Jason's triples w/ 3-4 GOE. Secondly, Jason is expected to improve further under Orsar and his GOE and PCS advantage will equal to 2 of Vincent's quads. Lastly, Vincent's new show program at SOI indirectly suggests his PCS may not drastically improve next season.

I have to agree with this