2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

Tahuu

On the Ice
Based on the preference, selection order and selection option of the world's top 6 skaters I think we may see:

SA: Nathan/Boyang
SC: Yuzu/Mika
IdF: Vincent/Shoma
CoC: Vincent/Boyang
RC: Yuzu/Mika
NHK: Nathan/Shoma

Nathan chooses first, from last season's selection he'd take the first and last stops to meet his school schedule. NHK probably would not reject his request.

Yuzu 2nd, he would like SC for convenience. He won't choose IdF cause it's back-to-back to SC, nor CoC due to its brutal travel (to a Chinese port city (14-15 hrs of fight time) - to the host city airport (3-4 hrs of flight time) - to the venue (2-3 hrs of bus time)) and waiting time at the airports. So he would take RC.

Vincent 3rd, IdF and CoC.

In the 2nd group, Shoma, Boyang and Mika would listen to their feds and select host stop NHK, CoC and RC respectively. Shoma chooses first, he'd like to get a later start due to his coaching situation, so IdF. Boyang 2nd, he could select either SA or SC. Mika would get whichever one is left.

I don't have much clue to other US skaters' assignments. Some of your speculations are reasonable.

discode

Final Flight
SA is obvious, but I think Nathan will prob do RC, it doesn't fit exactly with his schedule but it's close. He mentioned he can get whatever time off he needs as long as he lets them know. And RC is after midterms too. Even with NHK he'd have to take time off school for travel and jet lag, but NHK will probably want Hanyu after not having him last year so that's a no go.

Vincent is interesting here since I can't find a good schedule for him. RC, SA, SC and NHK are out for him really. Maybe not RC, but I'd guess Hanyu and Nathan would take it. Then you only have CoC and IdF, which are back to back. His choices are kind of limited.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I do wonder if NHK might go for a Vincent/Shoma combo to give Shoma the best chance of making GPF.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I think Nathan will get SA and NHK, and Vincent will get CoC (which he seems to want).

Hopefully we will find out this week!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think Nathan will get SA and NHK, and Vincent will get CoC (which he seems to want).

Hopefully we will find out this week!

If you see Nathan at NHK, where do you think Hanyu will go?

ETA I think we should hear Thursday. :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Although we know the champs get to pick first, we also know the feds politick and trade.

I can’t imagine a universe where Yuzu does not get NHK, no matter when Nathan’s school break is. Maybe if JSF wants to give Shoma a boost?

I also can’t imagine a world where Nathan and Yuzu don’t take between them SkAm, SkCan, CoR, and NHK.

I think Vincent is doing back to back. Which from what I understand he’s popular in China, so that’s :cool:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I guess it’s always possible Yuzu doesn’t want NHK? But in a few days we’ll know.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I guess it’s always possible Yuzu doesn’t want NHK? But in a few days we’ll know.

It's really important for skaters to get a home score boost so they can enter GPF and Worlds having already earned astronomical scores that season. For that reason alone, I can't imagine Yuzu passing on NHK.

Tahuu

On the Ice
As far as I've heard, host spots are filled first. Then the champion picks. Then the silver medalist.

Host decides who to invite. That doesn't mean they will fill someone first without looking at who wants to come. They don't need to fill any one first as they have the final say.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Host decides who to invite. That doesn't mean they will fill someone first without looking at who wants to come. They don't need to fill any one first as they have the final say.

Of course. Hosts can write in TBA. (If they don't select a seeded home skater, though, another country can select that skater). But if hosts want to invite a home athlete from their host country out of the top three, then they don't have to wait for the champion's picks to be filled first. The host can pick the number two or three seed to skate at home, and the champion can simply get their priority choices from the other events left. (This is pretty obviously what happened with the ladies invite to NHK last season. NHK must have selected Satoko to fill the host spot. Therefore, even though Higuchi was #2 at Worlds, she had to go elsewhere).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Group photo of skaters at USFS High Performance Singles Camp, which started today:

Posted by Paralympic Gold Medalist triathlete Allysa Seely (in the red Team USA shirt), who was a speaker at the camp.
Lucky campers. Allysa is super-inspiring. (Happens to be a good friend of Max and other Team USA skaters.) ...

ETA (on Jun 24):

Per USFS post with another version of the group photo, Allysa gave the keynote speech. ...

Congratulations to ESPY winner Allysa Seely :yay:, who was the keynote speaker at 2018 USFS High Performance Camp.

Tonight Allysa won the ESPY for Best Female Athlete with a Disability. :bow:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
@ice coverage thanks for posting, but is there a tie in to the US men that I’m missing?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@ice coverage thanks for posting, but is there a tie in to the US men that I’m missing?

Thanks for reading my new post from last night.

It takes a lot of words to write out the answer to your question, but because you asked:

In my new post, I quoted only an excerpt from my old post (from over a year ago) from this thread.

My old (very long) post had listed many of the U.S. men who attended 2018 USFS High Performance Camp.

AFAIK/IIRC, for most or all of the several years of existence of USFS High Performance Camp, no one (including myself) has started a separate thread for the camp, so back then I had used this thread to make note of the U.S. men at the 2018 edition.

My old post also had mentioned that Allysa was the source of the first group photo from the 2018 camp -- and that I thought she was a good choice for keynote speaker there.
ETA: By "group photo," I mean "class photo"-type of thing.​

Given her history with the USFS camp, I thought Allysa's ESPY was a nice footnote to add to GS, and it made sense to me to add it to the thread where she and the 2018 camp had been discussed previously. That is the tie-in to this thread. :)

If some of the U.S. men (and ladies) who had been at the 2018 camp hear about her ESPY (not saying that they would hear about it from GS), I hope that they once again will be inspired by her.​

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thanks for reading my new post from last night.

It takes a lot of words to write out the answer to your question, but because you asked:

In my new post, I quoted only an excerpt from my old post (from over a year ago) from this thread.

My old (very long) post had listed many of the U.S. men who attended 2018 USFS High Performance Camp.

AFAIK/IIRC, for most or all of the several years of existence of USFS High Performance Camp, no one (including myself) has started a separate thread for the camp, so back then I had used this thread to make note of the U.S. men at the 2018 edition.

My old post also had mentioned that Allysa was the source of the first group photo from the 2018 camp -- and that I thought she was a good choice for keynote speaker there.

Given her history with the USFS camp, I thought Allysa's ESPY was a nice footnote to add to GS, and it made sense to me to add it to the thread where she and the 2018 camp had been discussed previously. That is the tie-in to this thread. :)

If some of the U.S. men (and ladies) who had been at the 2018 camp hear about her ESPY (not saying that they would hear about it from GS), I hope that they once again will be inspired by her.​

Okay, thanks.