2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Do you like any of the young US guys, from junior?

Pulkinen and Krasnozhon, mostly. But it's not the same. It's more of a soft spot for two really talented young guys than the "I will get up at 3am on a work night to watch you" love.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Pulkinen and Krasnozhon, mostly. But it's not the same. It's more of a soft spot for two really talented young guys than the "I will get up at 3am on a work night to watch you" love.

Of course, but I guess you have to start somewhere. And good choices. I like those guys too.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The listing of scores for Skate Dallas (Apr 26 - 29) finally has been corrected to include the men.

Senior Men SP

1 Emmanuel Savary, University of Delaware FSC 71.81
2 Jimmy Ma, SC of New York 66.97
3 Patrick Rupp, Dallas FSC 54.70
4 Justin Wichmann, Dallas FSC 47.81
5 Luke West, Broadmoor SC 45.99​

Senior Men FS

1 Emmanuel Savary, University of Delaware FSC 138.47
2 Luke West, Broadmoor SC 76.98​

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/ed1194_68f8f7fa39124cba92ffbee377e633ca.pdf

Meanwhile ... has Emmanuel Savary moved to Colorado to become a Tom Z skater?

Both have dropped hints to that effect. :popcorn:

musicfan80

Medalist

Meanwhile ... has Emmanuel Savary moved to Colorado to become a Tom Z skater?

Both have dropped hints to that effect. :popcorn:

Honestly, I think someone like Damon Allen would be a better fit. And I think Emmanuel would be a perfect first senior skater for Joshua Farris (assuming he is or wants to coach/choreograph full time now) to do a SP with.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Honestly, I think someone like Damon Allen would be a better fit. And I think Emmanuel would be a perfect first senior skater for Joshua Farris (assuming he is or wants to coach/choreograph full time now) to do a SP with.

One of the hints was that Tom Z tagged Emmanuel in this Instagram post:

But I do not know anything for sure.

(I would be happy for any chance for Josh to choreograph competitive programs.)

mrrice

Record Breaker
One of the hints was that Tom Z tagged Emmanuel in this Instagram post:

But I do not know anything for sure.

(I would be happy for any chance for Josh to choreograph competitive programs.)

Me too.....Since I know I won't be seeing on the ice, I'd love to see him in the KnC. I really loved his skating and I feel like he was robbed from his best years by that horrible concussion.

concorde

Medalist
There was black things on the ice that he was picking up.

Sergei had skated just before him and some of his sequins had fallen off. There were also flying bugs in the spectator area (including on the jumbotron) so these may have died and landed fallen on the ice. Either way, back things were on the ice and he was picking them up.

Imagine

Medalist
That doesn't seem right does it? Shouldn't they have some sort of venue staff doing that kind of stuff, not an athlete? If I were Adam I'd be distracted and annoyed as heck.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Didn’t know where to put this...but can someone explain what’s happening at the beginning of this video? Is he cleaning something off the ice? :unsure:

There were bugs on the ice. They happen there at certain times of the year, and they had him picking them up, which was ridiculous because that's what the sweepers are there for.:palmf:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Flying bugs in the spectator area? Yikes! Imagine paying big $$ for tickets and then being bombarded with insects! I guess late March is springtime in Milan, but still that's early for bugs. Although here in NE USA, we get stinkbugs and ladybugs all winter inside the house. By late spring, they are pretty much gone.

Overall, insects in the spectator area and on the ice is tons better than the disease bug both spectators and skaters got at US Nationals. Lots of poor performances by skaters were a result of that particular "bug".

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Didn’t know where to put this...but can someone explain what’s happening at the beginning of this video? Is he cleaning something off the ice? :unsure:

…. Shouldn't they have some sort of venue staff doing that kind of stuff, not an athlete? ...

General comment re 2017 Skate America:

In fact, the young sweepers in Lake Placid *did* pick up bugs -- some alive, some dead -- off the ice.
(On the last day of the event, I happened to chat with one of the young girls who was a sweeper, plus her mom.)

Given that some of the bugs were alive, seems plausible to me that after everyone thought an area was clear (and bug-free), "new" bugs could have landed on the ice.​

(Yes, before Adam's FS, he also did some bug removal himself.)

There were bugs on the ice. They happen there at certain times of the year, and they had him picking them up, which was ridiculous because that's what the sweepers are there for.:palmf:

I was there and the sweepers were little kids. Some were very shy and the others were not paying attention to the ice. There were times that we spectators kept calling them to come and pick the stuffed animals before the next skater. In case of bugs, in the beginning, none of them moved so Adam picked them up himself. After that they noticed and picked the bugs I guess two times.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fortunately Adam had the good sense to request that he have a moment with Raf after he'd taken center ice for his music TWICE, and been motioned over by the referee, and picked up the black stuff.. Just a couple of seconds to connect with Raf, and he seemed to feel grounded again. But it really wasn't right to ask him to do it, when he'd already prepared himself to skate. I guess his years of experience helped too. I was also there ... and now I can't recall for sure if that was his FS, when he fell on the 4Lz and dislocated his shoulder, then popped it back in, but I think it was. It was altogether a heroic skate!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was there and the sweepers were little kids. Some were very shy and the others were not paying attention to the ice. There were times that we spectators kept calling them to come and pick the stuffed animals before the next skater. In case of bugs, in the beginning, none of them moved so Adam picked them up himself. After that they noticed and picked the bugs I guess two times.

I don't care if they were kids, which is usually the case, that is their job and not that of the skaters.
At most it would have been the ice crews job if the sweepers weren't able to do their jobs. You are warmed up at the point you are out on that ice to start your program and trying to keep your muscles as warm and ready to go as possible, not to mention your concentration.

I was there too by the way.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
yikes, sounds like a strange situation.

But despite the bugs and even dislocated shoulder (ouch!!) - Adam still scored highest in the FS :)

Imagine

Medalist
That’s so bizarre, but I’m fascinated on so many levels.

1. How big were these bugs that the judges could literally spot them on the ice from where they were sitting? I guess if you’re judging FS you should have good eyesight, but like even in the video with it being zoomed in, I had no idea those were bugs untill I read about it here. :unsure:

2. Why is it so important that they would delay his skate to remove them like...worse case scenario, he runs over a couple and slices them in half or something? Seems like there were not that many in the first place, and the rink is so big and they are little bugs after all...

3. What kind of bug even hangs out on an ice rink of all places? Isn’t cold generally unsuitable for insects?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
1. How big were these bugs that the judges could literally spot them on the ice from where they were sitting? I guess if you’re judging FS you should have good eyesight, but like even in the video with it being zoomed in, I had no idea those were bugs untill I read about it here. :unsure:

Bugs are usually dark or black coloured. Sticks out like a sore thumb on a sheet of white ice.

2. Why is it so important that they would delay his skate to remove them like...worse case scenario, he runs over a couple and slices them in half or something? Seems like there were not that many in the first place, and the rink is so big and they are little bugs after all...

He wouldn't slice clean through them. Especially if they were hard-shelled bugs, he could trip or fall.

3. What kind of bug even hangs out on an ice rink of all places? Isn’t cold generally unsuitable for insects?

Generally, but that doesn't stop them. I had to go out and rescue a moth once at one of our competitions, and in summer we're always picking up flies off the ice. They don't mean to get in there.

At least bugs have a mind of their own....three incidents at Boston Worlds spring to mind where there was definitely a bigger problem - Ivan Righini taking a spill on the white card before they called his name; Max having to pick up a card or item that the sweepers missed before his free skate (and the referee hadn't seen it so he didn't get any extra time or special coach chats), and of course, the classic: the blue teddy bear thrown onto the ice during Bychenko's FS. Funny, it didn't seem to attract anywhere near as much fuss as a couple of bugs.

Imagine

Medalist
Okay yeah, that definitely makes more sense now. Thanks for clearing that up. See, I don’t skate, and have never been on an ice rink, so it just seems so ridiculous to me. :laugh: