2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
^ I know, right?

I actually feel for the ISU's dilemma. Figure skating is a sport. Sports means jumping. Jumping up and spinning four times is better than jumping up and spinning three times. Therefore, the ISU doesn't have any choice but to give out the highest point values for quads.

But as soon as you do that, someone will come along and say, "Hey, I get it. If you want points, do quads." Then the ISU has to backtrack and say, "No, no, that's not what we meant."

I guess that's what makes this crazy sport so wonderful. :)

If Nathan's scores are an issue, the problem could be addressed by not inflating his PCS undeservedly high. Overall, TES needs to more accurately represent merit, and PCS needs to better gauge artistry and skating ability. That Alina and Carolina get almost the same PCS clean, but are several points apart with similar mistakes, shows that Alina is getting a technical merit bump in PCS when she skates well. If TES more accurately accounted for difficult combinations, such a bump wouldn't be necessary.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Unless judges stop awarding high GOE and PCS indiscriminately to skaters who can land a 4Z or 4F in competition- regardless of the actual quality of the jump, and regardless of whether the skater has much choreography or performance quality in his programs - I’m skeptical that we’ll see much of a change.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But I must say I'm not particularly happy with the fact he's appears to have enlisted Scott Brown to choreograph again. His programs have been quite sub par up to this point and I've not been overwhelmed with the music choices. I was hoping it would be Tom Dickson.

I’m wondering what makes you say that? (For real, not argumentative)

I saw Andrew’s programs live last year at a summer comp, from literally 50 feet away. For that matter, I saw Alexei’s from the same vantage point.

The choreo on Andrew’s Roxanne LP was, to me, intriguing, different, played to his strengths, the StSeq in particular was mesmerizing and he sold it like the rent was due. I enjoyed Alex’s SP as well, although his strengths are obviously the polar opposite of Andrew’s. And the choreo was not as complex as Andrew’s, I assume for those reasons.

Andrew’s SP and Alexei’s LP were somewhat pedestrian, but not offensively so.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for trying new choreography. Rohene and Andrew:luv17:, Andrew could definitely handle what Rohene would give him. But I don’t t know what is wrong with Scott Brown:scratch2:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I saw Andrew’s programs live last year at a summer comp, from literally 50 feet away. For that matter, I saw Alexei’s from the same vantage point.

The choreo on Andrew’s Roxanne LP was, to me, intriguing, different, played to his strengths, the StSeq in particular was mesmerizing and he sold it like the rent was due. I enjoyed Alex’s SP as well, although his strengths are obviously the polar opposite of Andrew’s. And the choreo was not as complex as Andrew’s, I assume for those reasons.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for trying new choreography. Rohene and Andrew:luv17:, Andrew could definitely handle what Rohene would give him. But I don’t t know what is wrong with Scott Brown:scratch2:

As far as choreographers go, Brown is sub-par. I'd love to see Andrew get choreography from a fresh set of eyes, a new choreographer: Charlie White, Tanith White, Jeremy Abbott, Misha Ge etc.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As far as choreographers go, Brown is sub-par. I'd love to see Andrew get choreography from a fresh set of eyes, a new choreographer: Charlie White, Tanith White, Jeremy Abbott, Misha Ge etc.

What makes you think that? Honest question, not arguing. I loved the StSeq in Andrew’s Moulin Rouge, for example.

I love Charlie White as a skater and from what I see of him as a person, but, for example, I found that first program of Vincent’s he helped choreo unattractive, so he wouldn’t be my first choice. Particularly since Andrew is in Colorado now, if I’m wishing and hoping, Rohene;)

But I’m more interested in specifics about Scott Brown’s choreo.....

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What makes you think that? Honest question, not arguing. I loved the StSeq in Andrew’s Moulin Rouge, for example.

I love Charlie White as a skater and from what I see of him as a person, but, for example, I found that first program of Vincent’s he helped choreo unattractive, so he wouldn’t be my first choice. Particularly since Andrew is in Colorado now, if I’m wishing and hoping, Rohene;)

But I’m more interested in specifics about Scott Brown’s choreo.....

Professional opinion: It's nothing groundbreaking, what Brown does. He is fine if he sticks to choreographing lower level skater programs, but not seniors. Just because one step seq was good doesn't mean the rest of the program or programs were.

Compare his choreo to Rohene, Mills, Dean, Nichol, Dickson, Buttle even, just not up to par.:disapp:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Question for speakers of Chinese. How is Nickolas Hsieh pronounced?

I don’t speak Chinese but I have a friend with the same last name whose parents are from Beijing and she pronounces it shee-eh.

shine

Record Breaker

First, I've seen several of his programs that use either very loud vocals or very generic war horsey type of music, which are simply not my taste. They make him look dated and unsophisticated when his skating is anything but. Also I think he's a particularly gifted and musical skater who is capable of a deeper level of interpretation but his programs have just not been able to bring forth that. Instead of letting his musicality shine through they rely on loud vocals or turn to theatrics in order to create artificial emotions and tension IMO. It's all a bit tired. I actually liked his Moonlight Sonata SP more because I think that's a step in the right direction even if it's nothing ground breaking. That said, he's very young and I'm sure he's still in the process of experimenting and finding out who he is as a skater, so I won't be too critical and will try not to be too disappointed.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
More shows for Ross Miner :):

Skate It Forward, two shows on June 16, in Columbus, Ohio.

(Charity shows for the benefit of Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Ohio.)​

Camden Pulkinen and Mariah Bell also are skating in this year's shows.

Ross and Camden both will be giving private lessons in Columbus.

ETA (on Apr 20):

Skate It Forward updates re Gracie Gold and Stellato/Bartholomay are here:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...dies-Skating&p=2073486&viewfull=1#post2073486

ETA (on Apr 22):

More cast additions:

ETA (on Apr 23):

Not surprisingly, the new site link for the cast list includes Romain Ponsart as well:

https://skateitforward.co/2018-headliner-cast/

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First, I've seen several of his programs that use either very loud vocals or very generic war horsey type of music, which are simply not my taste. They make him look dated and unsophisticated when his skating is anything but. Also I think he's a particularly gifted and musical skater who is capable of a deeper level of interpretation but his programs have just not been able to bring forth that. Instead of letting his musicality shine through they rely on loud vocals or turn to theatrics in order to create artificial emotions and tension IMO. It's all a bit tired. I actually liked his Moonlight Sonata SP more because I think that's a step in the right direction even if it's nothing ground breaking. That said, he's very young and I'm sure he's still in the process of experimenting and finding out who he is as a skater, so I won't be too critical and will try not to be too disappointed.

Thank you for the explanation; I agree that Roxanne is loud:biggrin:, and innovative musical choices can be more challenging.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised year before last with Andrew’s LP (which off the top of my head I don’t even know was Scott Brown) was an orchestral version of Bohemian Rhapsody. I do not like Queen, I didn’t like them in the 70s, and I hate hate HATE Bohemian Rhapsody. So of course it is now a warhorse ;) in that one instance, a cover was a relief:laugh:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Do you guys think that Aleksei Krasnozhon will make a mark in Seniors this year? I still think Nathan and Vincent are locks to stay on top but, the third position is up for grabs. It should belong to Jason but, unless he gets a solid quad, I see him being passed over.

I think it is definitely possible Alex K places 3rd at 2019 Nationals

I’m not sure Vincent is a lock - but I would predict him placing in the top 3

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vincent needs to work on other things such as speed and his skating skills which are sup par compared to the top men. Not sure that Tammy Gambil is the one though when it comes to jumps since Karen also underotates her jumps like Vincent.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think Vincent primarily works on his jumps with Tom Z, not Tammy?

:agree: To work on jumps, Vincent has both Tom Z and Christy Krall.

Only my speculation, but I imagine that in the limited time that Vincent and Tammy have together, their emphasis is on things other than jumps?

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Question for speakers of Chinese. How is Nickolas Hsieh pronounced?

The surname is pronounced "Sh'eh" (spelled Xie in Mainland China. Hsieh is the original Wade-Giles Romanization system). The character means "to thank". So if you have ever heard a Chinese person say "Thank you" (sh'eh-sh'eh), that is the standard Mandarin pronunciation. There are plenty of videos online that teach you how to say the word. Cantonese and Taiwanese speakers tend to pronounce the surname in Mandarin with an accent, pronouncing the consonant as an "s", and not "sh".

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... With his name not being in the ISP, it does appear that Max Aaron is moving on, though no formal announcement has been made. ...

Update:

Tonight our beloved Max did make a formal announcement of his retirement.

It was near the end of tonight's Q & A for Jump On It! campers.

Max was as gracious, humble, inspiring, and charming as ever. :ghug: :luv17:

Although I have been crying :sad4: because I selfishly will miss him, Max was in extremely good spirits and seemed thoroughly at peace with his decision to move on.

To echo the Latin from Phil Hersh's post-Worlds tribute: "Ave atque vale to Max Aaron." :bow:

Hail and farewell, dear Max.​

ETA:

BTW, Max and Mariah both were asked about being alternates for Milan and then getting late word of being sent to compete.

Max once again scolded himself because he had not been training for Worlds at the rink.
Tonight he also mentioned as an aside that he had been training for a triathlon.
In other words, his fitness was good, FWIW.

But to be clear: he did not let himself off the hook for being away from the ice.​

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Ohhhhhh. :sad4:

My consolation is that Max's skating career has been only one of the successful chapters in his life. :bow:
With many additional accomplishments and adventures to come -- outside of skating.

But I will miss Skater Max terribly. :sad4: :ghug:

Yeah, me too, but what a great way to end his carrier; securing three spots for his team mates at next worlds. And besides that being such a nice support to Vincent and Nathan at worlds 2018. I’m sure these guys will remember Max with great fondness. A special worlds for all three of them in different ways.

Do you guys think that Aleksei Krasnozhon will make a mark in Seniors this year? I still think Nathan and Vincent are locks to stay on top but, the third position is up for grabs. It should belong to Jason but, unless he gets a solid quad, I see him being passed over.

If he competes next season I wonder what will motivate him and what will be his goal. He has talked about a ’new adventure’ and has seemed distanced from competitive skating lately(declined Word Championships). Maybe he wants to take a break.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^ Jason did get a new short program choreographed for next season, so it sounds like he is continuing. The question is where and with who.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No Joshua. No Max.

I rather need Jason to have the season of his life...it is the only thing that will make it better.