Stars on Ice 2018 - Canadian Tour | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice 2018 - Canadian Tour

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was hoping to go but my husband lost interest in the show and no one else I know wants to go so I'll be sitting this one out. I know it will be a great show because last time to see some of the skaters and post Olympics. Oh well, CBC might show some of it later.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was hoping to go but my husband lost interest in the show and no one else I know wants to go so I'll be sitting this one out. I know it will be a great show because last time to see some of the skaters and post Olympics. Oh well, CBC might show some of it later.

i am going alone.... just saying... forget about the hubby.. make yourself happy.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

I agree with 4ever. Go solo. Life is too short to miss out on things you want to do just because other people are killjoys.

I'd love to go the show near me but the decent tickets are gone and I hate sitting too far back for the cost of the tickets.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well i am not sure about your location but usually with these shows, there are no bad seats really...

go go go...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
well i am not sure about your location but usually with these shows, there are no bad seats really...

go go go...

yes.. but I'd rather see a competition. I'm thinking of, maybe, trying to make it to Skate Canada in Laval. Big plan is getting to worlds in 2020. I'm trying to figure out how much to budget for it. I'm figuring about a grand for hotels and tickets, meals and transport (I figure gas will only be about 30-40). I'm actually thinking that if it's too expensive I might see if another person wants to share tickets with me. I'd love to see all the events but I'd be happy enough with pairs and dance and I know some people only want to see singles so maybe I'll try going that root. It's a long way in the future so..

Sorry for the off topic.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Just jumping in to say, I attended SOI USA in Allentown on Thursday, all by my lonesome. I loved it. Now, the spousal unit did offer to go, but he couldn’t identify any of the skaters for a cash money prize and I didn't see the point of having him come.

Go!:yes:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
yes.. but I'd rather see a competition. I'm thinking of, maybe, trying to make it to Skate Canada in Laval. Big plan is getting to worlds in 2020. I'm trying to figure out how much to budget for it. I'm figuring about a grand for hotels and tickets, meals and transport (I figure gas will only be about 30-40). I'm actually thinking that if it's too expensive I might see if another person wants to share tickets with me. I'd love to see all the events but I'd be happy enough with pairs and dance and I know some people only want to see singles so maybe I'll try going that root. It's a long way in the future so..

Sorry for the off topic.

With 10 of us in a tent on 4everchan's balcony, it should bring down your accommodations cost, but it will increase your thermal underwear expenses, given Montreal in March. Sheraton Centre or bust, me thinks.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
With 10 of us in a tent on 4everchan's balcony, it should bring down your accommodations cost, but it will increase your thermal underwear expenses, given Montreal in March. Sheraton Centre or bust, me thinks.

Please be careful; there have been many a tragedy with balconies and too many people on them. Canada right now has had a rough go with Humboldt and now Toronto. They dont need a third.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I assume Tessa and Scott get star billing in the Canadian version of SOI but who is next? How do they decide? Osmond because she just won a world title? Duhamel and Radford for OBM and two world titles? Patrick Chan because he retired and is a three time world champ and olympic silver medallist?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I assume Tessa and Scott get star billing in the Canadian version of SOI but who is next? How do they decide? Osmond because she just won a world title? Duhamel and Radford for OBM and two world titles? Patrick Chan because he retired and is a three time world champ and olympic silver medallist?

all are stars ;)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Here's the list of the skaters.

http://www.starsonice.ca/the-skaters.html?show_id=379

I assume for you "top billing" means at the top of the list.

You imply that "top billing" means something, like more solo numbers or having your name on the marquee (or in the biggest type". Maybe someone who goes to tonight's show will be able to tell us if the people with "top billing" get any special treatment.

There was an article in the Halifax paper that had a list of skaters: that list only included the 7 who won gold medals in the team event and Javier Fernandez. It didn't mention those 4 skaters who got their medals in previous Olympics or are "only" world silver medalists.

As 4everchan said, they're all stars. They all have world and/or Olympic medals. Note that the website only mentions one title per skater, though all of them have multiple world and olympic medals.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

Just chiming in and agreeing with the others that going solo can be fun. I went to Skate Canada 2016 alone, attended all three days of the event and had a great time! I was a little nervous at first before the event but I had some friendly neighbours and was able to have some nice FS conversation with them.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I hope the Colonel gives us their thoughts. I always love reading fellow GSers opinions.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Great show.

Meagan and Eric upstaged everybody else, hard, particularly in the first half. Not that anybody wasn't good, but those two never missed a beat.

Elvis was another standout. I wasn't counting, but I'm pretty sure he did the most jumps of anybody in the entire program, and he never fell (unless that was him falling in the opening group number, I couldn't tell), whereas Jeff and Javi both did.

Speaking of falls, Kaetlyn toppled during, of all things, the cast roll call at the end (I'm not clear how that happened, I wasn't looking at her at the time). If this is going to be her new thing in lieu of falling during the performances themselves, that's an upgrade for her scoring potential. She also did a routine to "Too Darn Hot" which I think she could probably retool into a short program (though get the Ella Fitzgerald version).

Scott and Tessa, of course, were the crowd favourites. For their first solo performance (Michael Jackson) they got a standing ovation both before and after they performed. Their somewhat cut-down reprise of the Moulin Rouge routine was the highlight of the evening.

For those trying to anticipate what's coming next year in terms of skaters' competition routines, if Jeffrey Buttle has anything to say about it, it'll be a lot of Dear Evan Hansen. He included two numbers from that show here, a solo routine for himself ("For Forever") and a group performance ("You Will Be Found").