HELP with Eng/Rus figure skating vocabulary | Golden Skate

HELP with Eng/Rus figure skating vocabulary

tars

Record Breaker
Thread for non-native speakers seeking for words, phrases, etymology and contexts regarding figure skating. No laughing allowed... :hopelessness::laugh:

My questions, English:
1. How do you call the last part of the jump right after landing, when skater comes out(?) of a jump in landing pose? Departure? Exit? [In Russian it's "выезд"]
2. When a toe pick hits the ice it causes what of ice? Spurt? Gush?

Russian:
3. Where does "ультра-си" come from?
4. I asked about it some time ago already, but forgot the answer: why is Russian GP called "kapa"?

russianfan

Match Penalty
Russian:
3. Where does "ультра-си" come from?
4. I asked about it some time ago already, but forgot the answer: why is Russian GP called "kapa"?

3. i suppose ultra-c stands for ultra-complex or ultra-complicated(element/elements)? something like this probably
4. Rostelecom Cup -> cup -> капа :biggrin: just a short version, everybody is just lazy to pronounce the whole thing

tars

Record Breaker
It's not Japanese
Ops, it's Chinese, sorry. :pray:

1. Check
2. Snow
You mean like "skater has elegant checkings"? Or checks? :scratch2:

3. i suppose ultra-c stands for ultra-complex or ultra-complicated(element/elements)? something like this probably
4. Rostelecom Cup -> cup -> капа :biggrin: just a short version, everybody is just lazy to pronounce the whole thing
:laugh2:
So exactly which elements/jumps are "ultra-c"? Is Lipnitskaya's spin an "ultra-c"?

russianfan

Match Penalty
Ops, it's Chinese, sorry. :pray:

:laugh2:
So exactly which elements/jumps are "ultra-c"? Is Lipnitskaya's spin an "ultra-c"?

:biggrin:
3A, quads for example... quad throws as well

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The term “check” is used to describe the moment a skater transfers their weight after a jump onto the ice and settles the rotation. If someone struggles with “checking” their rotation then they tend to step out. Id still say the term your looking for is “exit”. Creative/Difficult entries and exits can affect GOE if done well. A skater who can’t check their landing will often blow their exits.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
1. 'Exit' and 'checking' are most common.
2. If it's just a toe-pick for a jump entry, then it's a 'tap' or 'tap-in'. For landings that aren't smooth, it tends to be 'snow' or 'spray' and can be described as 'rough' or 'scratchy'.

Ziotic

Medalist
For English I would say landing. They had a smooth or beautiful landing. Or they landed the jump cleanly.

I would agree with ice spray.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Maybe it will be interesting:
russian term for jump combination is каскад (similar to english word cascade).
russian term for popping a jump is бабочка (babochka - actually it means butterfly). Some people shortens it to бабка (babka - which actually means grandmother or old woman)
russian slang term for falls deductions is shortened version - дед (ded - which actually means grandfather or old man)
so some people are joking about cultivating pensioners or building nursing home by some skaters in their protocols :biggrin:
russian term for judges overscoring or favoritism is грибы (gribui - which actually means mushrooms)
russian slang meaning of components (компоненты or shortened version компы) in some cases are changed to mean beauty of lady skater or, more specifically, attractivness of her body. For example phrase Ух ты, компонентна! (wow, she has so much/big components!) definitely not means PCS :biggrin:

Well, there are more - but it would be rather rude slang to translate and many of that words are not used by common skating fans too.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Maybe it will be interesting:
russian term for jump combination is каскад (similar to english word cascade).
russian term for popping a jump is бабочка (babochka - actually it means butterfly). Some people shortens it to бабка (babka - which actually means grandmother or old woman)
russian slang term for falls deductions is shortened version - дед (ded - which actually means grandfather or old man)
so some people are joking about cultivating pensioners or building nursing home by some skaters in their protocols :biggrin:
russian term for judges overscoring or favoritism is грибы (gribui - which actually means mushrooms)
russian slang meaning of components (компоненты or shortened version компы) in some cases are changed to mean beauty of lady skater or, more specifically, attractivness of her body. For example phrase Ух ты, компонентна! (wow, she has so much/big components!) definitely not means PCS :biggrin:

Well, there are more - but it would be rather rude slang to translate and many of that words are not used by common skating fans too.

Very entertaining :D