2018-19 Chinese figure skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Chinese figure skating

Eclair

Medalist
I was a bit saracastic... art can not be manufactured, they need to be developed organically. Problem is is COP as it is now does not care about artistry, and thus the manufactured cold hearted system by Lakernik.

Now they are even trying to phase out the artistry by making it a separate event. These are such statistician's strategy when they attemtp to control the mathematical game and minimise aspects which are not easily quantifiable. If we have different people in charge from the sport, rule changes, judging panel makeup, judging standards, marking trends, and type of champions.
oops, I didn't catch that sarcasm... it's late and I had a long day :p

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
oops, I didn't catch that sarcasm... it's late and I had a long day :p

haa... sometimes my writing can be incoherent even to myself. I edited the post so it makes more sense hopefully.

saphire

On the Ice
China need to do what Russia do, train and prop their skaters young in numbers, phase them out as soon as they become unstable.

Abuse points whenever they can, focus on tricks instead of skating skills, and consider choreographer other than Lori or make Lori compete for jobs. They have the population stats on their side.
They need to play the ISU numbers game more. Also start by putting the money into the politics and judging of the sport, place politicians at senior decision maker level, make friends with other federations, gang up the judges panel as the European have done, there are enough Asian countries around to create a new Europe. Ensure they have a huge part in changes rules and values in favour of their skaters and and against their biggest competitiors. May be start to consider pushing for maximum period someone can hold the same position is 4 years not forever... like Lakernik has done with Russia.

Otherwise they will have no one but Boyang in contention in Beijing 2022 and maybe in Pairs if injuries don't get to them first....

No

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Yan Hao (14), promising Jr from last season JGP has also reported to have retired due to growing to tall. It was reported on FSU. He is now coaching.

He's 14 and is already retired and coaching??? Hes not going to back to school? Wow. I remember watching him and saw such promise. I can't imagine what's it is like to be training most of your life to be an athlete for puberty to screw you over in the end. Maybe he will return to skating. All the best to him.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He's 14 and is already retired and coaching??? Hes not going to back to school? Wow. I remember watching him and saw such promise. I can't imagine what's it is like to be training most of your life to be an athlete for puberty to screw you over in the end. Maybe he will return to skating. All the best to him.

Promising indeed, I really enjoyed him. I went back and watched his skates from Zagreb and yeah, he was tall already (178 cm) and had just turned 14 the month prior. The poster on FSU says he coaches at a commercial rink in Shenzhen and a fan asked him about his retirement and he confirmed. Surely at 14 he is still in school.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Promising indeed, I really enjoyed him. I went back and watched his skates from Zagreb and yeah, he was tall already (178 cm) and had just turned 14 the month prior. The poster on FSU says he coaches at a commercial rink in Shenzhen and a fan asked him about his retirement and he confirmed. Surely at 14 he is still in school.

Ah ok. So this coaching thing is a part time job or something similar. My mind went somewhere different.

combo

Rinkside
Oh, that's sad news... I wondered why he wasn't at Junior Worlds. He really stood out to me on JGP last season, I found his Zagreb free skate in particular to be lovely. Such intuitive connection with the music. :(

Mdk0144

On the Ice
Then who will be Xiangning’s partner? I hope Zhong Xie, I love Yumeng but her jumps are like..

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Then who will be Xiangning’s partner? I hope Zhong Xie, I love Yumeng but her jumps are like..

Rumors on the Chinese forums are that it is Zhong Xie. Sad if true, I really liked Gao/Xie together.

But who knows, it seems like everyone's taking a turn skating with each other at that training camp right now. Unless it's all for show, maybe it is all still up in the air.

HoneyBear

On the Ice

I worry more about Gao's height; she grew so much over the past year. Nevertheless I do like her and I think Gao/Xie have developed a sense of natural chemistry (at least this season). At the same time, I agree Xie Zhong is a likely candidate for Xiangning's partner, along with Jin Yang and Wang Lei.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
https://app.peopleapp.com/Api/600/DetailApi/shareArticle?type=0&article_id=1716567

A nice summary article on the directions the fed is moving in all four disciplines. Basically rephrased the earlier news article with some new info:
1) They are trying to send young ladies to Russia;
2) They are in talk to collaborate with the Beijing Academy of Dance and Shanghai Academy of Drama to help train ice dancers.
3) Xiangning's partner has yet to be decided.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
I agree that Gao and Xie had some amazing chemistry going on this season and it would be sad if the fed breaks up another promising pair. Buy we'll see how it goes.

To be honest, I think the ice dancers already have the flow and dance but they lack technical elements. Perhaps due to a lack of proper coaches?

Also does anyone have information on who are the girls that are to be sent to Russia. Who's the coach for them?

HoneyBear

On the Ice
I agree that Gao and Xie had some amazing chemistry going on this season and it would be sad if the fed breaks up another promising pair. Buy we'll see how it goes.

To be honest, I think the ice dancers already have the flow and dance but they lack technical elements. Perhaps due to a lack of proper coaches?

Also does anyone have information on who are the girls that are to be sent to Russia. Who's the coach for them?

Specific details are not mentioned, chances are good they are still negotiating terms with potential Russian coaches. As for how many and who they are sending, your guess is as good as mine. An Xiangyi is definitely the most promising one, but she's not eligible for Beijing. I doubt she would be their priority. Chen Hongyi is the new champion in the national competition, but she had refused to give up her studies to join the national team in the past. It does seem she has changed her mind. Zhang Siyang is a reserved member of the national team but I have no idea how old she is. She is still competing in the novice category this season. These are just a couple of names on the top of my head, but I'm sure there are other young ladies.

Xen

Rinkside
https://app.peopleapp.com/Api/600/DetailApi/shareArticle?type=0&article_id=1716567

A nice summary article on the directions the fed is moving in all four disciplines. Basically rephrased the earlier news article with some new info:
1) They are trying to send young ladies to Russia;
2) They are in talk to collaborate with the Beijing Academy of Dance and Shanghai Academy of Drama to help train ice dancers.
3) Xiangning's partner has yet to be decided.

Btw, update for the men's-the article changed the language from "considering" to Boyang is going to Canada, and 2 young skaters are GOING to Raf.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
I still hope An Xiangyi is picked to go. I think she would benefit greatly from having a different approach and perspective in coaching.

Chen Hongyi... That's a possibility. She needs a lot more polishing but there's potential.

I hope there would be more information about this.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Some fan spotted Boyang on a plane to Toronto. She got a picture and asked him whenever hes going to TCC.

He said no, he's going to Toronto first. Or something like that.

I think he's going to Lori for choreography and coaching while the TCC arrangement is being finalised.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
Yeah, but the fan who met Boyang on the plane asked him if he's going to TCC and he said no, he's just going to Toronto first. Not sure what to make of that. I will need him to be physically present at TCC to be sure.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
To be honest, I think the ice dancers already have the flow and dance but they lack technical elements. Perhaps due to a lack of proper coaches.

Agree. Also ice dance is always the last one on their pecking order, and I don't think that's gonna change any time soon.

Mdk0144

On the Ice
I worry more about Gao's height; she grew so much over the past year. Nevertheless I do like her and I think Gao/Xie have developed a sense of natural chemistry (at least this season). At the same time, I agree Xie Zhong is a likely candidate for Xiangning's partner, along with Jin Yang and Wang Lei.

But they had Dan Zhang (before she became way too tall) and they have Yu Xiaoyu. They are also tall as a female partner at pair skating, but they actually have done, and are doing really well. Among the Chinese pairs, all of those girls have a problem at the jumps. So if her jumps are solid, that would have been an OK sign in China. However, she has only a triple-sal that is also inconsistent. And then she is tall. So I think things might not be really good for her, considering the Chinese fed.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
That fiasco before worlds last year with the name of the world team switching multiple times - what was that? even if they had a good reason for that (which I doubt), they could have handled it so much better.
Can't help but replying to this. That whole debacle was just so bizarre and came out of no where.
There was also Zhang Kexin who placed 7th at Worlds in 2012 but abruptly disappeared after OG 2014.