Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Thread: 2018-19 Chinese figure skating

Rinkside

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadThrow View Post
    What dies it mean Yu/Zhang are not ready? What did I miss? Habe there been any serious injury?

Hao Zhang will be 38 in Beijing 2022 (maybe 40 if you believe in the stuff on wikipedia). He is the oldes skater out here. Skipping worlds seems crazy.
    In one of their interview Hao Zhang said he is in Beijing Sport University studying for the graduate degree. He is having his final exams recently. Yu attented Japanese grade N1 which is the highest level of Japanese-Language Proficiency Test. They only practiced their sp three weeks before the nationals and they haven't practiced their long program.

They said they will not attend 4CC this year. They will keep the programs for next season.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthAqua View Post
    In one of their interview Hao Zhang said he is in Beijing Sport University studying for the graduate degree. He is having his final exams recently. Yu attented Japanese grade N1 which is the highest level of Japanese-Language Proficiency Test. They only practiced their sp three weeks before the nationals and they haven't practiced their long program.

They said they will not attend 4CC this year. They will keep the programs for next season.
    I may not be Zhang Hao's biggest fan, but he's somehow juggling competitive skating, a graduate program (what does he study?) as well as his family life as a husband and a father. Also Xiaoyu's Japanese is basically self-taught. That is truly something.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, kudos for them! For Hao Zhang especially, who probably can find a pretty comfortable living in China as a coach after he retires, he doesn't *need* to study for a graduate degree. The fact that he's choosing to on top of his other responsibilities is pretty admirable.

0 Not allowed!
    I’m late to this, but isn’t Xiangyi An the 11-12 year-old girl that won senior category from a previous national competition a few months ago? If so, I hope the following years will be kind to her, she can be a rising star.

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    S/H's LP looks very interesting and promising from the practice clip. But it does remind me a little of S/M's winning program from last season in tone.

It's going to be really interesting when they compete against James/Cipres at Worlds, who have been consistent and "present" in front of the judges this season. I would still give S/H the edge if they skate relatively clean. I think the LP might be a bigger wow when they finally unveil it. And I feel that judges still regard S/H as a team of superior quality.

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcash View Post
    S/H's LP looks very interesting and promising from the practice clip. But it does remind me a little of S/M's winning program from last season in tone.

It's going to be really interesting when they compete against James/Cipres at Worlds, who have been consistent and "present" in front of the judges this season. I would still give S/H the edge if they skate relatively clean. I think the LP might be a bigger wow when they finally unveil it. And I feel that judges still regard S/H as a team of superior quality.
    You don't have to be a judge to notice that Sui/Han are a team of superior quality. James/Cipres have really created programs that are beautiful but there are still some things where Sui/Han are clearly stronger at. Scoring wise, the judges have left plenty of room for Sui/Han as well.

The big issue is SBS jumps. They just need to work on their jump consistency and difficulty. They don't get away with double toes and double salchows.

So no 4CC or Worlds for Yu/Zhang, correct? They are not doing anything major this season?

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea82 View Post

Ning/Wang need minimum TES for 4CCs. Mentor is last occasion for them to get it.
    They achieved it.They scored over 29 in RD and they needed 26. In FS they needed 42 points and they got 50

You Know I'm a FS Fan... BillNeal's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Wang/Liu were terribly underscored at the Mentor Torun Cup. They were laughing about the scores in the KnC as well. Given the composition of the panel, not surprised. Hopefully, they will be fairly marked at 4CC.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    In a recent interview of the pairs, Lori and her team are working with the pairs.

Both Sui and Han were shown doing 3Lo on harness with the help of Lori's team. Sui underrotated and fell on her 3Lo and Han stepped out. Other pair teams (PJ TY) were also doing jumps on the harness but don't know which kind of jump they were doing. It's good to know the Chinese pair teams are trying to pick up the solo jumps instead of trying throw quads.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Han Yan is doing choreograph with Yuka Sato and Kurt Browning in America right now.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    In a recent interview of the pairs, Lori and her team are working with the pairs.

Both Sui and Han were shown doing 3Lo on harness with the help of Lori's team. Sui underrotated and fell on her 3Lo and Han stepped out. Other pair teams (PJ TY) were also doing jumps on the harness but don't know which kind of jump they were doing. It's good to know the Chinese pair teams are trying to pick up the solo jumps instead of trying throw quads.
    I wonder why they chose to do the 3 loop instead of the flip... Sui and Peng clearly are stronger in toe-jumps than edge jumps. Since they struggle with the 3 sal, I would think the 3 flip would come more naturally than the 3 loop...

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclair View Post
    I wonder why they chose to do the 3 loop instead of the flip... Sui and Peng clearly are stronger in toe-jumps than edge jumps. Since they struggle with the 3 sal, I would think the 3 flip would come more naturally than the 3 loop...
    Maybe the 3F is harder to do as a SBS jump, with the timing harder to coordinate?

Yeah I think they should shore up the 3S first, but maybe they are thinking of replacing the 3S with 3Lo completely?

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcash View Post
    Maybe the 3F is harder to do as a SBS jump, with the timing harder to coordinate?

Yeah I think they should shore up the 3S first, but maybe they are thinking of replacing the 3S with 3Lo completely?
    They just changed their entry into 3S and seem to stabilized it. Some fan saw them doing 3T2T2Lo in practice during Chinese nationals so maybe they were trying to stabilize -2Lo?

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26