2018-19 Chinese figure skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Chinese figure skating

irriya

On the Ice
that's typically how the system works in China. I don't remember seeing one representing China in international team who's not from the National team

Krunchii

Record Breaker
okay, but can only national team members go to international competition or others too?

Never heard of a rule against it, but I'd assume if you want to then you'd have to pay your own way, which is really expensive.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
are only members of the national team allowed to represent china in international competition?
could for example xiangyi get a junior gp or is she not considered?

No, members outside out the national team can go to the international competition. Last season, Hongyi Chen is not in the Chinese national team still represent China in JGPs and Jr. Worlds.
Xiangyi An is not old enough for 2022, that may be one reason she is not in that team. And her dad is her coach so her training time is more than the other girls and her dad can earn more by coaching other kids. If she get in the national team, she might have less training time and her dad will not able to coach other kids and payed less.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

Eclair

Medalist
incredible interview with Han Yan:

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/_tydH3ppGzT0WmLIdpmsHw

There he talks about the reasons for him not being on the national team anymore, as well as his bad results at the olympics. (basically what we already know from this statement of his fan site: https://twitter.com/HanYanFanVan/status/981496410959962112 ) But here we hear it from him himself.

He trained with Coach Hongbo Zhao and shared the ice with the pairs teams until the Olympics. The result in PyeongChang was not the best. Yan didn’t think that the suggestion of switching to ice dance, which was offered by the national team was a good idea for him. It would be even more difficult than singles to some extent. Therefore, he thought about quitting and retiring.

iskating: How did you feel at that time?
Yan Han: I don’t want to complain about anything or anyone. However, it is extremely hard to make progress if you don’t have your own coach. I was not surprised about the results at the Olympics, so I didn’t feel much regret or disappointment.

Also his love for figure skating is really admirable. Even though his fed decided to no longer support him, he will continue competing.
I’m going to start again from the beginning. I will not be able to go to competitions like Worlds if I’m not on the national team, but I can still compete at nationals. If I can’t, I will go to club competitions. I will shine no matter where I am.

right now he is coaching young kids at Pang/Tong's ice rink and regaining his physical shape.
Han Yan about coaching kids: “I will not only teach them how to skate, but also how to approach life in general. It’s also about aesthetics and etiquette.”

he also had some nice things to say about his experiences when training abroad:

He was motivated to grow and take all the responsibilities for himself. “The athletes were able to balance a lot of different things in life and they continued to work really hard even when life was so busy and exhausting. This is something that I need to learn from them.”

And his take on the new change of rules in figure skating:
he first season of a new quadrennium is approaching and the ISU has changed quite a few rules. Yan thinks that this is good for the sport in general. “It will help improve the artistry of the programs and it is also a new challenge for skaters to become more well-rounded. There will be fewer loopholes in the rules. The rules are the same for everyone, so it is not about how they will be an advantage for some and disadvantage for others. After all, figure skating is a scoring sport and there is no absolute fairness in judging. Athletes need to focus on improving so as to make themselves favorable among the judges. I believe that there will be further adjustments and the rules will become clearer and more in detail. “

As you can see Han Yan has and is always very classy in his statements. He was never stand-offish or rebellious, even when he offered criticism (like suggesting that the new rules will become 'clearer and more in detail'). The way he is treated by his fed makes me sad. But it's great to read that this at the same time is an opportunity for him to grow as a person and makes his own decision. I wish him all the best for his future!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Yan Han's coaching situation seemed bizarre to me. He had a great relationship with his original coach, but then was training with Mingzu Li in the US! (has she had any success in training male skaters at all? Not to mention her bad ending with Zijun)!! And then trained under Zhao?? !! with pairs. Why didn't allow him to stay with his original coach? What happened to her?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Glad to see the growth of market supported figure skating growth in China. not just State monopoly anymore. The progress is there, it is a start.