Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 524

Thread: 2018-19 Chinese figure skating

  1. #21
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5,776

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    The names are escaping me, but I do recall rinkmates talking about a couple of young girls who used to train in southern China (shanghai, shenzhen etc), before Zhao become head coach, and due to lack of ice time, good coaches etc, their families decided to simply move overseas. As for dual citizenship, Chinese gov't does not allow it, I doubt they'll make an exception just for this.
    Trust me they will. This is the Olympics and they want a team gold medal. That can't happen unless they have without a strong lady. And US ladies will compete for other nations if they don't think they'll get far with USFS. Alexia left last year and went to Nebelhorn, Europeans, The Olympics, and Worlds representing Switzerland.

    It's extremely sad that the nation that birthed Lu Chen has to resort to looking abroad. How did we get here? Excuse me I have to watch some old Lu Chen videos to cheer myself up.

  2. #22
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,446

    4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by frida80 View Post
    Trust me they will. This is the Olympics and they want a team gold medal. That can't happen unless they have without a strong lady. And US ladies will compete for other nations if they don't think they'll get far with USFS. Alexia left last year and went to Nebelhorn, Europeans, The Olympics, and Worlds representing Switzerland.

    It's extremely sad that the nation that birthed Lu Chen has to resort to looking abroad. How did we get here? Excuse me I have to watch some old Lu Chen videos to cheer myself up.
    they got there by mistreating their best hopeful and most talented ladies skater since Lu Chen, Zijun. Insisting on her training with Mingzhu even though she repeatedly said, that she didn't want to. Not funding her while she was with Mishin. That fiasco before worlds last year with the name of the world team switching multiple times - what was that? even if they had a good reason for that (which I doubt), they could have handled it so much better. CHN judges partly giving Zijun harsher PCS and GOE than the average of the other judges.

  3. #23
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,387

    1 Not allowed!
    I think it was a rhetorical question... (although I do agree with the whole post).

  4. #24
    On the Ice Spinning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    465

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    The names are escaping me, but I do recall rinkmates talking about a couple of young girls who used to train in southern China (shanghai, shenzhen etc), before Zhao become head coach, and due to lack of ice time, good coaches etc, their families decided to simply move overseas. As for dual citizenship, Chinese gov't does not allow it, I doubt they'll make an exception just for this.
    If they want medal contenders for next Games, only possible options are pretty slim without making exceptions.

    Is Shuran Yu a legitimate candidate ? I think she has so much potential.

  5. #25
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    746
    Country: Nepal

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning View Post
    Is Shuran Yu a legitimate candidate ? I think she has so much potential.
    Shuran Yu didn't compete since Nebelhorn Trophy... She's born in Beijing, if she wants to represent China, she can do it already this autumn.

  6. #26
    On the Ice Spinning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    465

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirti View Post
    Shuran Yu didn't compete since Nebelhorn Trophy... She's born in Beijing, if she wants to represent China, she can do it already this autumn.
    Yes I was heartbreaking for her during Nebelhorn. She was so close. I don't know for certain but I think she actually lives in Beijing. Representing Singapore might be through her family connections more than her growing up there. Her skating skills, jumps and spins are very good and have more room to growth. I hope that she stays for the next quad either for Singapore or China.

  7. #27
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,654

    0 Not allowed!
    I don't think it is realistic for a U.S. born Chinese to represent China, for citizenship issues at least. The best option would be for Yi Christy Leung to represent China in 4 years, because Hong Kongers are Chinese citizen, holding a Chinese passport, in addition to a Hong Kong passport (correct me if I am wrong). Wiki shows she is 5'6" at the age of 15. I guess that affected her jump stability in the past year. But in a few years, she can find her way back.

    On a superficial not, Alysa Liu looks half Chinese half white to me. I saw some Instagram photos of her with a big, tall and strong-looking Asian guy, probably her dad. Wonder if she will grow pretty tall in a few years following her dad's genes.

  8. #28
    Medalist surimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,214

    0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone know if Xiangning Li transferring to pairs is a done deal? I liked her in singles...

  9. #29
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,368

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by surimi View Post
    Does anyone know if Xiangning Li transferring to pairs is a done deal? I liked her in singles...
    It is hard but... I am afraid it's done.

  10. #30
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    746
    Country: Nepal

    0 Not allowed!
    Li Xiangning will be 21 at next Olympics... with her individual jump level, doing pairs could be a not-so-bad idea (but with which male skater? Zhang Hao? )

    For 2022 Olympics, China is probably focused on girls born between 01.07.2005 and 30.06.2006... or the season before, in all cases we probably don't have heard anything about them for the moment.
    I wonder why they don't try to push their own skaters, at last Chinese championships we saw some newcomers (An Xiangyi #4, Cao Qijing #5, Su Yi #6) but I could not find their age. Usually chinese girls begin on senior national level at age 12-13...

    Or maybe we should take a look at US novice champs, won by Beverly Zhu (with Christina Lin and Jessica Lin with "chinese" names - I assume Sarah Jung sounds more korean?)
    (But after writing this I see that most of the novice girls are already junior age-eligible...)

  11. #31
    On the Ice Midnightcass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    257

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirti View Post
    Li Xiangning will be 21 at next Olympics... with her individual jump level, doing pairs could be a not-so-bad idea (but with which male skater? Zhang Hao? )

    For 2022 Olympics, China is probably focused on girls born between 01.07.2005 and 30.06.2006... or the season before, in all cases we probably don't have heard anything about them for the moment.
    I wonder why they don't try to push their own skaters, at last Chinese championships we saw some newcomers (An Xiangyi #4, Cao Qijing #5, Su Yi #6) but I could not find their age. Usually chinese girls begin on senior national level at age 12-13...

    Or maybe we should take a look at US novice champs, won by Beverly Zhu (with Christina Lin and Jessica Lin with "chinese" names - I assume Sarah Jung sounds more korean?)
    (But after writing this I see that most of the novice girls are already junior age-eligible...)
    Xiangyi An is one of the most promising novice skaters I've seen from China. However, she was born 24.12.2006 so she wouldn't be age eligible for 2022. I'm not sure about Cao Qijing though... I think she turned 13 recently but I'm sure I'm wrong.

  12. #32
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    447
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by surimi View Post
    Does anyone know if Xiangning Li transferring to pairs is a done deal? I liked her in singles...
    I am confused. I thought that I saw in Zhao's interview (translated) that they were trying her out for pairs but would stay in singles currently. ??

  13. #33
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    326

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by saphire View Post
    I am confused. I thought that I saw in Zhao's interview (translated) that they were trying her out for pairs but would stay in singles currently. ??
    She will try to complete in both single and pairs......

    Her partner is not Hao Zhang, but will be someone from the national team.

    There will be some new pairs, should announce by mid-end June... Hope it won't surprise you....

  14. #34
    Medalist surimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,214

    1 Not allowed!
    OK, thanks for the info. Good luck to Xiangning in both categories.
    Should we brace for pleasant or unpleasant surprises in pairs, yqs100? I hope Zhang stays with Yu, for her sake. She's already been through enough with her forced split from Jin.

  15. #35
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    447
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yqs100 View Post
    She will try to complete in both single and pairs......

    Her partner is not Hao Zhang, but will be someone from the national team.

    There will be some new pairs, should announce by mid-end June... Hope it won't surprise you....
    I am worried what will happen with Jin/Peng. It seems like they will be splitting up.

  16. #36
    On the Ice Midnightcass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    257

    2 Not allowed!
    Personally I hope for a Yu and Jin reunion because I always thought they worked well together.
    Anyone has any information/rumours of possible new pairs?

  17. #37
    Jesus take the wheel! RemyRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,334
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yqs100 View Post
    men:
    1) boyang jin will be sent to brian orser and lori nicole, dunno if its for long term or short term.
    2) two young skaters will be sent to RA.
    3) Yan Han seems retired, but not announced yet.
    Yan Hao (14), promising Jr from last season JGP has also reported to have retired due to growing to tall. It was reported on FSU. He is now coaching.

  18. #38
    Sedated by Modonium OS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,145

    3 Not allowed!
    China need to do what Russia do, train and prop their skaters young in numbers, phase them out as soon as they become unstable.

    Abuse points whenever they can, focus on tricks instead of skating skills, and consider choreographer other than Lori or make Lori compete for jobs. They have the population stats on their side.
    They need to play the ISU numbers game more. Also start by putting the money into the politics and judging of the sport, place politicians at senior decision maker level, make friends with other federations, gang up the judges panel as the European have done, there are enough Asian countries around to create a new Europe. Ensure they have a huge part in changes rules and values in favour of their skaters and and against their biggest competitiors. May be start to consider pushing for maximum period someone can hold the same position is 4 years not forever... like Lakernik has done with Russia.

    Otherwise they will have no one but Boyang in contention in Beijing 2022 and maybe in Pairs if injuries don't get to them first....

  19. #39
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,446

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OS View Post
    China need to do what Russia do, train and prop their skaters young in numbers, phase them out as soon as they become unstable.

    Abuse points whenever they can, focus on tricks instead of skating skills, and consider choreographer other than Lorim or make Lori compete for jobs. They have the population stats on their side.
    They need to play the numbers game more. Also start by putting the money into the politics and judging of the sport, place politicians at senior decision maker level, make friends with other federations, gang up the judges panel as the European have done, there are enough Asian countries around to create a new Europe. Ensure they have a huge part in changes rules and values in favour of their skaters and and against their biggest competitiors. May be start to consider pushing for maximum period someone can hold the same position is 4 years not forever... like Lakernik has done with Russia.

    Otherwise they will have no one but Boyang in contention in Beijing 2022 and maybe in Pairs if injuries don't get to them first....
    I against the numbers game ... unsuccessful athletes have a really hard time, as they don't have the education other young people have. I don't want to see 999 young athletes landing on the streets or doing cheap jobs for their whole life, just so that 1 athlete may have stable triple jumps ... Also, the numbers game doesn't leave room for artistic development vs. tech. I'd rather they nurture the few talents they have to their best ability.

  20. #40
    Sedated by Modonium OS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,145

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclair View Post
    I against the numbers game ... unsuccessful athletes have a really hard time, as they don't have the education other young people have. I don't want to see 999 young athletes landing on the streets or doing cheap jobs for their whole life, just so that 1 athlete may have stable triple jumps ... Also, the numbers game doesn't leave room for artistic development vs. tech. I'd rather they nurture the few talents they have to their best ability.
    I was a bit saracastic... art can not be manufactured, they need to be developed organically. Problem is COP as it is now does not care about artistry, and thus the manufactured cold hearted system by Lakernik.

    Now they are even trying to phase out the artistry by making it a separate event. These are such statistician's strategy when they attemtp to control the mathematical game and minimise aspects which are not easily quantifiable. If we have different people in charge from the sport, rule changes, judging panel makeup, judging standards, marking trends, we will get different type of champions.

    That is why I think balance and rotating the governance is important, to ensure Figure skating is truly Multidisciplinary sport as it has always been, encompassing healthy attitudes to arts and sport.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •