2018-19 Chinese figure skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Chinese figure skating

Skye

On the Ice
Since South Korea doesn't have enough pair teams to fill up the host spots, maybe Ryom/Kim could get invited? The two Koreas are looking pretty chummy lately. I bet ISU would love to put behind this fiasco just like that. :biggrin:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Makes no sense, TBH. I doubt anyone would be this ham-fisted.

It is a bit ham fisted but actually doesn't seem implausible to me. If what happened in speed skating was deliberate, and it sounds like it was, it was outrageous. With Beijing 2022 coming up, China can't afford to let others walk all over them. They want to be treated equally, and they're not, so they decide to put their foot down now.

Just a theory, of course.

But, even if that's the rationale behind it, it screws Boyang Jin's chances quite a bit.

Xen

Rinkside
China will probably make peace in some way next season and get the events back.

Seriously we don't know what really happened behind the scenes, and the short track controversy spewed for days and days in China, pretty much overshadowing the entire winter olympics. And short track is the one that is considered the favored sport for medals by China (not figure skating). I don't know if anyone watched the press conference, but the ISU and IOC were both fairly cold in rebuffing the short track controversy when asked by reporters. So for China, and chinese sports fans, it would be viewed as an insult.

Other than that, there might be other background issues going on, so China may have decided it didn't want to be a pushover. And if any season is suitable, well, this is the season to do stuff. =( Yes it could disadvantage chinese athletes, but again, we're talking about a country that as a whole, views it as necessary to learn how to win against odds (since we don't expect favoritism and view ourselves as usually the underdogs). So regardless, we'll pull medals out from clenched teeth if necessary. =/

yqs100

On the Ice
Shame coco won’t happen this year, hope it won’t affect the athletes.

Jin boyang has finished the two brand new programs choreographed by Lori. From his Instagram clips, it looks exciting.

Li Xiangning’s partner is announced during the show in Tianjin last week. It’s Xie Zhong. Which means GAO Yumeng/Xie Zhong split. And Li/ Xie showed the double twist.. it was quite surprise they can learn from scratch and did it very well in terms of speed and height.

Pairs have finished their summer camp in sanya. Now having a short break before heading to Canada for choreograph.

Yu Xiaoyu’ situation is still uncertain. Dunno if Yu/Zhang will compete GP or not.

The announcement of Team China is expected to be released by end of the month or early July.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Xiangning Li and Zhong Xie are pairing up? I saw that they skated in a show together, including a double twist. If so, it might not be a bad idea- she's even shorter than Yumeng and has triples. Yumeng is lovely but I fear the rotations on the salchows aren't happening.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Does anyone know if Xiangning Li and Zhong Xie are pairing up? I saw that they skated in a show together, including a double twist. If so, it might not be a bad idea- she's even shorter than Yumeng and has triples. Yumeng is lovely but I fear the rotations on the salchows aren't happening.

Yes, I think they announced the pairing at the ice show.

blackey

On the Ice
Han Yan said he's not retired. He will not compete this season due to his shoulder injury, but he's planning compete in future.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
yan's coach is Pang/ Tong

Well his new skating club is the one that Pang/Tong owns. So he will represent that club in domestic competitions. I don't think his new coaches are necessarily Pang and Tong (though I love them with all my heart, I still hope he is sent abroad).

Eclair

Medalist
Well his new skating club is the one that Pang/Tong owns. So he will represent that club in domestic competitions. I don't think his new coaches are necessarily Pang and Tong (though I love them with all my heart, I still hope he is sent abroad).

no way. this new arrangement basically means the fed says: we still don't care about you, we won't support you financially but if you continue to skate, we don't care either and maybe maybe you can even have a shot at the 2022 Olympics, well depending on how the other men look like until then.

So now Han Yan is supporting himself and his skating financially through coaching at Pang/Tong's rink. It's great to see his passion for skating makes him overcome any hardships. He once said, he doesn't skate for medals or wins, but for the pure love for skating. It's just sad, his fed doesn't appreciate him .. but at least they are not obstructing him anymore either ...

HoneyBear

On the Ice
So Xiangning Li will compete in one singles event (NHK) and one pairs event (SA) with Xie Zhong. Curious to see how it will turn out.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
So Xiangning Li will compete in one singles event (NHK) and one pairs event (SA) with Xie Zhong. Curious to see how it will turn out.

I honestly can't wait. If they manage ANY triples I will happily shocked. Don't expect much though.... 😬

Midnightcass

On the Ice
So summary of GP events for Team China:

Skate America
Yu/Zhang (pairs)
Li/Xie (pairs debut)

Skate Canada
Peng/Jin (pairs)
Wang/Liu (ice dance)

Finland
Boyang (singles)
Sui/Han (pairs)

NHK
Xiangning (singles)
Sui/Han
Peng/Jin
Wang/Liu

Rostelecom
None

IDF
Boyang
Yu/Zhang

Notes:
Han Yan would be sitting out this circuit to recover from injuries.
Xiangning Li is debuting as a pairs skater with Zhong Xie. She will also continue as a singles skaters. Therefore, she will learn FOUR programs this season.
The second Chinese ice dance (who is training in Montreal with W/L) will not be in this circuit.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Does that mean the Wangs are no longer competing, or do they not have enough points as of yet? I really liked them and would like to see them continue. :/

Mdk0144

On the Ice
The wangs didn’t compete at any international competitions last year, so that makes them no grand prix spots. Similar to Anna Pogorilaya (she skated in skate america, but..)
Some say they are going to retire, but we never know. They participated the anti-doping seminar in Century star (a club in China) together at mid-June.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
The wangs didn’t compete at any international competitions last year, so that makes them no grand prix spots. Similar to Anna Pogorilaya (she skated in skate america, but..)
Some say they are going to retire, but we never know. They participated the anti-doping seminar in Century star (a club in China) together at mid-June.

Thank you! I'll keep my fingers crossed. I hope the Chinese Fed still supports them unless they themselves want to retire. With so many pair splits and retirements, I could see a top-form Wang/Wang close to the podium if they did GP. And it's not like China has many elite pairs except for the top 3; Li and Xie are a question mark at this point.