Skaters Who've Displayed Courage | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skaters Who've Displayed Courage

FSLover17

On the Ice
Mirai bouncing back to be on the Olympic team for Pyeongchang after the disappointment of 2014 and all the disappointments before and after. Also Mao coming back with that incredible FS in Sochi after the heartbreak of the short program. Both had such difficult careers and must have had incredible mental strength. All athletes do :drama:
Also Mai coming back from her arthritis to be one of the best figure skaters in Japan.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Sarah Hughes - dealing with her mother's cancer when she was just starting her rise to the senior ranks in skating

Angela Nikodinov - dealing with the death of her coach, and then a few years later the tragic car accident before Nationals that killed her mother.

Irina Slutskaya - serious illness of her mother, and shortly afterwards her own debilitating illness that could have easily ended her career.

Amei

Record Breaker
Scott Hamilton - with all the medical issues he's had and still keeps fighting and skating, he mentioned in 1 of his interviews about when he had health challenges that skating brought him back.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder why no one mentioned Plushenko. I didn't want it because these are well-known things, and I waited for an another poster.

I was going to mention Plushy myself, but hadn't got around to it!

Interestingly enough I think he might have showed the most courage by withdrawing rather than trying to continue (imagine the pressure!)...the absolute hate he got for that from the Russian media who called him a hero just days before must have been horrible. Like...there were people who were suggesting he should have pretty much died rather than withdraw and "embarrass" Russia. (Which considering how patriotic Plushy is was just the worst).

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sarah Hughes - dealing with her mother's cancer when she was just starting her rise to the senior ranks in skating

Angela Nikodinov - dealing with the death of her coach, and then a few years later the tragic car accident before Nationals that killed her mother.

Irina Slutskaya - serious illness of her mother, and shortly afterwards her own debilitating illness that could have easily ended her career.

Here's a fluff piece on Irina from 2003 Worlds...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2NtwRt8vsA

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Wagner, for

1. Becoming financially independent from her parents at age 18. Silver lining: She said, "I didn't have to listen to my dad" telling me how much money he was spending on me, so I'd better not fail. (Something like that, a paraphrase, not a direct quote.)

2. At age 19 or 20, taking her savings for college to put it into her skating dream, driving across country all alone to California to train with John Nicks. Her car broke down somewhere in the middle!

3. Enduring despite never being "the chosen girl", and persevering to become (still) the only 3-time US ladies' champion since MK.

4. Just before the Olympic season, in May 2013, having coach John Nicks tell her he wouldn't be traveling to competitions anymore. Her first call? to Adam Rippon, who said, it'll be fine, you can come and live with me, and do think about training with Raf Arutunian, my coach. On meeting Raf, he didn't know who she was! (the current US champion!) But Ashley didn't let that daunt or deter her.

5. Enduring everlasting hatred (four and a half years later, it's still brought up) from fans and others for "taking" Mirai's spot at 2014 Olympics. Silver lining: Ashley and Mirai both understand that it was a USFS decision, and haven't let it interfere with developing support for each other.

6. At age 23, adding new technique, trusting the long process and Raf's knowledge. Introducing her new 3Loop, half loop, 3Salchow in the 2015-16 season, culiminating in her spectacular winning of the Silver Medal at Worlds 2016.

7. After the heartbreak of 2018 Nationals, continuing her commitments, training as an Olympic alternate until that obligation was completed, having the courage to take a few months to heal (and informing 2nd alternate Mariah Bell months ahead of Worlds of her decision), then being terrified to return to the ice before SOI. Again, keeping her commitment .... And Again, rediscovering how much she loves performing for people and the sport of skating. Detailing via Instagram and Twitter all along the way, courageously sharing her negative feelings and bad days, so that other people going through something difficult in their lives would know that she wasn't okay, but she's doing something to create a new pathway to okay .... and they can too.

8. I was going to stop at 7 ... but I can't. For persevering when she's been told she's too old, past her peak, etc. etc. etc. and being an inspiration for anyone in any walk of life who's been told they're too old, or it's otherwise too late for them to go after their dreams.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rena Inoue, continuing skating after contracting lung cancer, following her father's death from lung cancer: she refused to have her lung removed, because she would never be able to skate at a competitive level again, despite knowing all too well what dying from lung cancer was like from her father's illness and death.

This story always makes me cry.

Doris, thanks for posting, I had forgotten about it. Here is Rena talking about her ordeal. It's a few seconds into the story, it starts out with Michele Kwan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTk9RDGO94

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Eric Radford, for being the first figure skater to come out as a gay man while still actively competing. :cheer:

I know he’s already been mentioned by a previous poster, but Adam Ripon also coming out a couple of seasons ago while still competing - and how after the Olympics, he’s become a total rock star. I know some of skating fans sneer at what could be considered his “cocky” attitude (which I don’t think is cocky at all, I think he’s hilariously witty, his sarcasm is always on point), his lack of a consistent quad in his technical arsenal, the whole Ross vs. Vincent vs. Adam decision for the Olympic team, and finally, those whining that his Olympic bronze medal was “only in the team event” - but you know what? Love him or hate him, he has become one of the biggest current faces of the sport in the USA this year. So many non figure skating fans are loving him, eating up everything he says and does, and then some have already become new fans of the sport in general as a result. How can we hate on him for that? :) If there’s something this sport needs, it’s both new fans, AND strong, confident individuals who are role model yam simply because they aren’t afraid to fully be themselves. Thank you, Adam, just for being you. :clap:

I also have to give Meagan Duhamel a shout out for actually sticking up for herself on public forums when people made rude comments, not only directed at her, but at other skaters as well. She’s another one of those love her or hate her skaters, so it was quite bittersweet to see how so many had a complete change of heart regarding their opinion of her, after the touching, selfless, sincere sportsmanship she displayed at the Olympics this year for both her teammates, her rivals in the pairs category, and pretty well all the athletes in general: skaters and non skaters.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I wonder why no one mentioned Plushenko. I didn't want it because these are well-known things, and I waited for an another poster.

1. He left Volgograd at 11 y.o. he moved to St. Peterburg he wanted to train with Mishin. He lived alone! for one year in such environment.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixm3FTDIR_U NBC fluff before 2000 WCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgdtM2Hyk94 - social paradise, Plushenko lived there. He showed it some years ago..

Later his mother moved to Pityer, too but she didn't have work. They collected bottles they wanted to eat! His mother said him go back to Volgograd! He didn't want it because he already adored the FS! He needed to handle the older skaters in the group they humiliated and beat him.

2. He had 13 surgeries and he competed many times with injuries. And won.

3. His first comeback before Vancouver. He showed to the others a skater at 27 isn't old! Many people didn't believe he can compete with the youngs. Probably without this and his comeback in Sochi won't be so many "old " skaters on competitions nowadays.

4. He was the ambassador of Sochi OG he was in Guatemala when the IOC has decided where will be hold the OG in 2014. He wanted to compete there. He did everything for it, he had a very dangerous, unique surgery in March of 2013. He did it for Russia and for himself, too. Many people didn't believe it again he can accomplish his plans and he can compete in Sochi after that surgery at 31! He was attacked "he is too ambitious" "he wants to be the first, the best, the only one" etc.. yes, he wanted to be..but this is the mover of the sports many times. (And don't forget 3 years later he wanted Hanyu to win, thus he has more individual golds at OG, than him.) He was great at team competition, but he got seriously injured again. He survived it and he is on the great shows continously.

5. He was strong to say no to the Americans they wanted to make a movie with him. The offer was serious and he almost signed the contracts, but after he learned that is too much time without skating. He wanted to be Olympic champion.

I've never been much of a fan of his skating but I actually admire him as a person. People may forget but during Sochi, he was asked about the anti-LGBT law, and his answer essentially boiled down to, I don't agree with the law, we should all just live and let live. Given the atmosphere at the time, I thought that was an exemplary display of courage.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Gracie Gold- for coming forward on her struggles with anxiety, depression and eating disorder and working her way to to a comeback.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and how after the Olympics, he’s become a total rock star. I know some of skating fans sneer at what could be considered his “cocky” attitude (which I don’t think is cocky at all, I think he’s hilariously witty, his sarcasm is always on point), Love him or hate him, he has become one of the biggest current faces of the sport in the USA this year. So many non figure skating fans are loving him, eating up everything he says and does, and then some have already become new fans of the sport in general as a result. How can we hate on him for that? :) If there’s something this sport needs, it’s both new fans, AND strong, confident individuals who are role model yam simply because they aren’t afraid to fully be themselves. Thank you, Adam, just for being you. :clap:

As long as I've seen Adam I have never seen the attitude he is portraying right now. It's just my opinion but I think if he loves skating so much then he must know that becoming "one of the biggest current faces of the sport in the USA this year" (your words) then he should understand that he is representing the sport as well as the country he lives in. I don't know if you saw him at the Espy Awards but I was so embarrassed at his attitude. The awards show had several athletes that were funny but you could tell that their sport meant everything to them for whatever reason. There were also several heart warming stories told there.

I have watched Adam for several years and applaud his efforts as a figure skater, nothing more and nothing less.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold- for coming forward on her struggles with anxiety, depression and eating disorder and working her way to to a comeback.

Right!!! If Gracie ever looks at GS, I hope she sees just how many fans she has. We know our stuff and we're all so excited to see her on the ice again.

curious

Final Flight
Medvedeva’s long program at the Olympics you could see everything she had put into it and then afterwards being able to smile and congratulate Alina when no one else was. That’s true strength of character and courage for me

I totally agree.

nocturnalis

Medalist
Tessa Virtue demonstrated courage get entire career by skating with a chronic injury and continuing despite have several hours of physical therapy everyday.

Kirsten Moore-Towers demonstrates courage every time she allows Michael Marinaro to lift her.