Eurovision 2018 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Eurovision 2018

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We have never recovered from Guy Sebastian being robbed in that first year we got to do Eurovision :no:

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
In no particular order, I liked Austria, Bulgaria, France, Denmark, Albania, Spain. My country's. Also Estonia, but it was definitely not a Eurovision song. And if one of Cyprus or Israel had to win, I would have preferred Cyprus.

I really liked France and Portugal (this year and also last year). Spain was very sweet, but they were in the cursed #2 slot :drama: Bulgaria was pretty good, underappreciated song, same for Italy - glad they got some love from the public vote.

It's not that I loved Israel, but I listened to the track on YT and it was ok for a loud pop song. Tonight was the first time I saw Cyprus and to me it was a bit monotonous (could say the same of quite a few sings really), in the sense that it didn't build in excitement.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Well, I was a little dissapointed at the voting, but oh well.

Btw. Am I the only one thta think it would be slightly ridiculous if one day Australia wins, and then all of the Europe would have to travel there next year?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, I was a little dissapointed at the voting, but oh well.

Same here. But, more of that in a separate post that I am currently preparing during the breaks in between World Superbike races.

Btw. Am I the only one thta think it would be slightly ridiculous if one day Australia wins, and then all of the Europe would have to travel there next year?

Don't worry, the EBU have thought of that.

If they do win, Australia will nominate a country in Europe to host the contest. And SBS and the host EBU member will be co-producers.

The general opinion is that it'll be the UK that will be chosen in that scenario. So, SBS and the BBC.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have to be honest, unless we have some really great songs from the pre-qualified countries, I don’t think this is going to be one of the classic Finals.

And boys but the pre-qualified countries pulled it out of the bag. For the first time ever, I liked all of them!

In fact, were it not for the fact that I liked Albania so much, ALL of the pre-qualified countries could have been in my Top 6!

So, here is how I ordered them:

1. Albania
  2. Germany
  3. United Kingdom
  4. Spain
  5. France
  6. Portugal

I have to take my hat off to SuRie. I hadn’t heard the UK song before watching the Final, but what a performance she put in. Even with that guy running onto the stage and grabbing the microphone off her, she was still faultless. (Does anybody know what he was shouting about?)

As for the actual result, I don’t know what to say.

The worst song out of all 43 songs that were entered this year was the winner.

Netta’s a nice girl, but that song was just awful.

It just shows the impact of the public vote. Like, I was happy with the result of the jury vote. 2 songs I liked were way out in front (Austria and Sweden). But, they were only 13[SUP]th[/SUP] and 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] respectively in the public vote.

There are some things that the general public can’t be trusted to get right. And talent contests are one of those things.

That said, the jury did put Israel into 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] place, so they are not full proof either.

But, whatever anybody may think, Israel still won. So my congratulations go to them.

CaroLiza_fan

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
My theory is the public was too salty at Salvador's comments about fast food music they purposefully chose the flashiest song to vote on to rub in his nose and thus go back to Eurovision as the flashiest of Eurotrash and forget the hiccup of actually voting for a good song.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can't believe Australia ended up 20th!

Europe, how could you?! :p

Don't call us. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Moving away from the results for a moment, I would like to add that it was far too long a broadcast.

The Eurovision Final is always a long broadcast by the very fact that there are 26 participants and over 40 countries giving results. But, this year there was a long introduction before we got to the first contestant. And then we had a longer than normal interval.

Whilst I appreciate a longer voting period (and feel that the Semis should have a longer voting period too), there was no need for there to be a long introduction as well.

Personally, I have often thought that it would work better if we had the performances one night, and then the results the following night, with voting open the whole time in between. And I mean that for the Semis as well as the Final. It would make the broadcast a lot more manageable. And it would allow people who were not able to watch LIVE to catch up the next day and still be able to vote.

If they didn’t change to this format, an alternative idea would be to start the shows earlier, so that they would finish at a more respectable time.

Here in the British Isles (and in Portugal, for that matter), the shows started at 20:00. Whilst the Semis finished at 22:15, the Final didn’t finish until nearly midnight. That is far too late to wait to find out who won.

Two years ago, I was in Cyprus during Eurovision week, and the shows didn’t even start until 22:00. Much as I like Eurovision, there was no way I was staying up to watch it!

So, I felt really sorry for Eleni’s supporters in Cyprus last night. Because they had to wait until around midnight just for her to perform, and then wait until nearly 2am to find out if she had won.

I dread to think what it is like for Eurovision fans in Russia! :eek:

No, even starting just an hour earlier would make a big difference to the number of viewers and, hence, voters.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I can't believe Australia ended up 20th!

Europe, how could you :p

Don't call us. ;)

As I explained in a previous post, I was unsure about Jessica's performance in her Semi. But, she was far better in the Final. Graham Norton in the BBC commentary box said it was her best performance of the week.

Which might have worked against her. Because the Jury vote is where she got most of her points (she was 12[SUP]th[/SUP] in it), and that is based on the dress rehearsal.

But, that she came last in the televoting is unfathomable.

She definitely deserved to get a Top 10 position from that performance.

CaroLiza_fan

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I have to take my hat off to SuRie. I hadn’t heard the UK song before watching the Final, but what a performance she put in. Even with that guy running onto the stage and grabbing the microphone off her, she was still faultless. (Does anybody know what he was shouting about?)

According to Wikipedia, he shouted:
"Nazis of the UK media, we demand freedom, war is not peace."

Nirti

Medalist
This year the winner is not a surprise! Congrats to Netta.

My top 10 is (including the semi-finalists) :
1. Moldova
2. Israel
3. United Kingdom
4. Switzerland
5. France
6. Italy
7. Latvia
8. Belgium
9. Belarus
10. Denmark

I'm really enthusiast about Moldova, their 10th song is a good result.
Israeli song is catchy, maybe a bit irritating after the 5th hearing :biggrin: but very original. I widely prefer her as the Cyprus singer, who doesn't know to dance. It was absolutely not sexy!
Happy for the german entry, surprised for Austria : it was not bad, but 1st for the jury? his movement was not good too.
And like each year, France forgot that it's a television show : where was the staging? The lyrics are beautiful, but probably not understandable for many europeans...

Next year in Jerusalem, would have prefered Tel Aviv for this time ^^

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This year the winner is not a surprise! Congrats to Netta.

My top 10 is (including the semi-finalists) :
1. Moldova
2. Israel
3. United Kingdom
4. Switzerland
5. France
6. Italy
7. Latvia
8. Belgium
9. Belarus
10. Denmark

So nice to see a lot of songs I liked in your list. Including my favourtie song overall (Latvia) and my favourite from the first Semi (Switzerland). I was beginning to think I was odd! :laugh: (Not too sure about your Top 2, though...)

I widely prefer her as the Cyprus singer, who doesn't know to dance. It was absolutely not sexy!

:laugh:

To be fair, the costume didn't help.

Personally, I would prefer if all performances were like that. Stipped back to just the singers standing at their microphones. After all, it is supposed to be a singing contest.

And I also prefer it when the songs are not sung in English. There is more of a connection between singer and song when it is in their own language, and listeners can appreciate it more, even though they may not understand the lyrics.

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm all for contestans singing in their own language as well. After all, it's Eurovision, not Englishvison contest.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I must say (Though it's my first year following Eurovision) that Idk if it's cause of politics and what not, but I find it ODD Melovin got last in the jury vote with 11 points and got 7th in the telvote with 119.

Other discrepancies made me go "WHATTTTT?!"

Nirti

Medalist
So nice to see a lot of songs I liked in your list. Including my favourtie song overall (Latvia) and my favourite from the first Semi (Switzerland). I was beginning to think I was odd! :laugh: (Not too sure about your Top 2, though...)

Yes I was sad for Switzerland, 4 years without final!

Moldova remembered me the "vaudeville" theater pieces which I liked to watch when I was younger. It could have been better sung, the album version is better, especially the chorus. The doors/windows were a nice surprise, at the first semi-final I thought "how many are there? 1 girl? 2 girls? now 2 guys? a 3rd? a 4th?!? :biggrin:" and after watching it today again, I noticed that the 2nd red guy first played the role of a 3rd girl, we only saw her legs with high heels, and one minute after he worn a red pant. OK, it's totally kitsch, and completely what I love to see at Eurovision :love:

I'm all for contestans singing in their own language as well. After all, it's Eurovision, not Englishvison contest.

A great debate! The organisators ordered to sing in a national language during the 1990s. And the effect was... 4 victories for Ireland, 1 for UK!
It favoured english-speaking countries (Malta too) or countries with different languages (France tried lyrics in breton, corsican, creole...)

But who knows... Salvador Sobral was a nice surprise at this point. I wait to hear Russia singing in russian or Germany in german!

TryMeLater

On the Ice
So, We won Eurovision....OMG...20 years after our last win.
So happy for Netta, she worked hard for it.
Gutted for SuRie.

Same here. But, more of that in a separate post that I am currently preparing during the breaks in between World Superbike races.

Don't worry, the EBU have thought of that.

If they do win, Australia will nominate a country in Europe to host the contest. And SBS and the host EBU member will be co-producers.

The general opinion is that it'll be the UK that will be chosen in that scenario. So, SBS and the BBC.

CaroLiza_fan

The BBC volunteered to host the event should Australia win.

As I explained in a previous post, I was unsure about Jessica's performance in her Semi. But, she was far better in the Final. Graham Norton in the BBC commentary box said it was her best performance of the week.

Which might have worked against her. Because the Jury vote is where she got most of her points (she was 12[SUP]th[/SUP] in it), and that is based on the dress rehearsal.

But, that she came last in the televoting is unfathomable.

She definitely deserved to get a Top 10 position from that performance.

CaroLiza_fan

Actually, It's not surprising at all. Her performance looked like a junior high school production - "sing with me, Europe". That kind of an attitude doesn't win Eurovision. (Going off key didn't help either), which is a shame because Jessica is usually a talented performer.

Yes I was sad for Switzerland, 4 years without final!

Moldova remembered me the "vaudeville" theater pieces which I liked to watch when I was younger. It could have been better sung, the album version is better, especially the chorus. The doors/windows were a nice surprise, at the first semi-final I thought "how many are there? 1 girl? 2 girls? now 2 guys? a 3rd? a 4th?!? :biggrin:" and after watching it today again, I noticed that the 2nd red guy first played the role of a 3rd girl, we only saw her legs with high heels, and one minute after he worn a red pant. OK, it's totally kitsch, and completely what I love to see at Eurovision :love:

A great debate! The organisators ordered to sing in a national language during the 1990s. And the effect was... 4 victories for Ireland, 1 for UK!
It favoured english-speaking countries (Malta too) or countries with different languages (France tried lyrics in breton, corsican, creole...)

But who knows... Salvador Sobral was a nice surprise at this point. I wait to hear Russia singing in russian or Germany in german!

Actually - the rules requires singing in one of the official languages between 1977-1999, so the language wasn't really a factor - the judges had an "irish" moment during the 90's.
Let me remind you that a ballad in Serbian (which is not the most musical languages) won in 2007 under full televote.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
I must say (Though it's my first year following Eurovision) that Idk if it's cause of politics and what not, but I find it ODD Melovin got last in the jury vote with 11 points and got 7th in the telvote with 119.

Other discrepancies made me go "WHATTTTT?!"

Poland in 2016 wins the discrepancy award - it was dead last with juries with 7 points and 3rd in the televote with 222 points.
That whole Eurovision was weird - Ukraine won by placing 2nd both in the jury vote and televote.
Australia won the jury vote and came 4th in the televote, while Russia won the televote and came 5th with the jury.