You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 32 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

McBibus

On the Ice
When you watch long untranslated skating interviews in a language you don't know and hope you'll somehow magically understand what they're saying (I feel like at this point I should just give in and start taking Russian/Japanese classes...)

... that's me... :rolleye:
hoping Orlov will come out with a subtitled version :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you see a newspaper headline saying "Papadakis aide says she is ‘collateral victim’ of Edek battle", and you automatically think "what has happened to Gabriella?!" :eek:

Turns out that the Papadakis that is referred to in the headline is a bloke! :slink: (It is the aide, who is the "collateral victim", that is female).

:laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
...when you see a newspaper headline saying "Papadakis aide says she is ‘collateral victim’ of Edek battle", and you automatically think "what has happened to Gabriella?!" :eek:

Turns out that the Papadakis that is referred to in the headline is a bloke! :slink: (It is the aide, who is the "collateral victim", that is female).

:laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

I used to have the same problem with Cynthia Phaneuf. There was a hockey player named Dion Phaneuf who was active at the same time as Cynthia, and he got way more headlines, causing great confusion for me.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
...when you spend wayyy too much time researching socks, studying the characteristics of various materials JUST to make sure that your fussy figureskater-feet are happy.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
When you want to watch old skating videos, that you've watched online in the past, but your first (nerve-wracking) thought is, "I hope they didn't get deleted." :pray: It was always a possibility before but started happening en mass around 2018 Worlds and has continued, with no sign of stopping. Sigh.

When you've kept all your VHS tapes and they're sitting in your closet (and you really should transfer them to DVD but the process feels daunting and time-consuming so you haven't yet).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
....when you're upset with the amount of events that took place in your life (parties, birthdays) that all seemed to be scheduled on the same day as skating competitions.

....when you look at the calendar at work, and realized the week of March 16th is 'open' on the vacation calendar, so you schedule that week off work, so you can watch the World Championships live.

I used to take vacation every 4 years to watch the Olympics. So: you know you’re a figure skating fan when you take vacation days to watch the Olympics.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I used to take vacation every 4 years to watch the Olympics. So: you know you’re a figure skating fan when you take vacation days to watch the Olympics.

Someone I worked with took a day off to watch Euros last year and I was like "finally someone gets my love of Euros" :p

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

When you are working out if you can take time off for the preliminaries for the Summer Olympics simply because there's a good chance Shoma, Rika or Yuzu - not to say Mao and the other gradees - will be part of them...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you’re so tired but staying up until midnight to see if Walgreens has gone to 90% off.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you are at US Nationals and 3 different people ask you 1. If you are Gracie Gold’s mother (no, but thank you for the compliment) 2. If you know Chris and Alexa in real life (no, but they are my babies) 3. If you are from Detroit (because you are yelling so loud - no, but see #2). Also when the Greensboro news interviews you about your stuffie throwing and about Gracie.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... when people come up to you @ competitions or shows, asking if you are related to a particular skater. This has happened quite a few times. :biggrin:

Once, @ an SOI show, someone asked me if I was Todd E'.s mom! :rofl: I was waving a banner (pennant) for him. :luv17:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... when people come up to you @ competitions or shows, asking if you are related to a particular skater. This has happened quite a few times. :biggrin:

Once, @ an SOI show, someone asked me if I was Todd E'.s mom! :rofl: I was waving a banner (pennant) for him. :luv17:

They asked if I was Gracies mom. Can you imagine???

ragdoll

On the Ice
When you take a week off to watch Euros, a week off for Worlds, record everything, save it and still watch some of it 25 years later.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
When even your dogs go through skating withdrawl before worlds....

I so love CoyoteChris's dogs..... Panja.jpg And my beloved Panja agrees!