Does Michelle have a rival of consideration in USA Skating | Golden Skate

Does Michelle have a rival of consideration in USA Skating

C

carlantz

Does Michelle have a rival of consideration in USA Skating

I think MK is a very dificult skater to beat in USA competitions, Sasha, Sarah et al arent skaters of consistency as Michelle, the results gives me the reason.

J

Jules Asner

Re: Does Michelle have a rival of consideration in USA Skati

NO. But I think she will announce her retirement soon and probably Sarah as well.

M

mathman444

No, I don't think so, Carlantz. Like you say, you have to go by the results. By that criterion, Michelle has no rival in the U.S.A. or in the world.

Jules, in this morning's paper there is an article quoting Michelle as follows:

After winning her fifth title since 1996, Kwan said she has no plans to leave the competitive ranks.

"I can't imagine being a professional," she said. "I can't imagine a time when I've had enough competing. Why stop what I love doing?"

Mathman

B

BronzeisGolden02

Sasha is sure enough competition, evidence being her presentation marks from Worlds considering both programs included falls. The judges respect her and as well they should, she has incredible talent and is inching towards better consistency. But, she isn't there yet and overall I just feel she isn't in Michelle's league as of now. So, it certainly seems at this point Michelle is unchallenged...yet again.
As for Michelle retiring, I believe its too early to speculate. Aside from Mathman's quotes, I read somewhere else that she says she will see how she feels after the COI tour this summer before making that kind of decision. I hope she stays, she still is the best out there in my view. But whatever decision she makes, her Worlds performances will go down in the book as two of her best ever and that is certainly enough.

E

Excidra2001

If we are going by results, than Kwan does not have a rival in the USA. But internationally, Kwan has not beaten Slutskaya since 01 worlds. So do you still say Kwan has no rival internationally?

But you don't always go by results. Sasha beat Irina and Irina beat Michelle and Michelle beat Sarah and so on.
The point i'm trying to make is Kwan does have rivals not just in the United States but in Russia.

N

NanSinger2

Rival for Michelle

If Sasha can ever get over her nerves, she will be able to provide good competition. I can't even think about Michelle turning pro...it makes me physically ill to think how much I would miss watching her. I think next season will be very exciting.

M

mathman444

The results. Five world championships.

MM

S

sk8ing lady2001

Yes, that is just the Marvelous Michelle that her fans have come to know and love! Her skating is always beautiful. :D

H

heyang

If Michelle didn't have rivals to consider, would she still want to compete? Probably not.

Hypothetically speaking, what's the point in knowing that you'll always win. The thrill of competition is challenging yourself and others to higher levels, but very few would want to continually lose. Only the most narcicisstic would want to continually win over inferior competitors.

MK knows that she can be beaten. She's been beaten by Irina, Tara, Sarah and Maria B. during her peak years. If she didn't feel some sense of challenge and growth, the thrill of competing would no longer exist.

I know she says that she's skating for herself and 'to have a blast'. As much as I am a fan of Michelle's, it's easy to say when you at or near the top. After all, she's human, too.

If every skater had their optimal performance, it would be a really tough call. Personally, I'd have a really tough time choosing between MK and Sasha and Irina and Sarah.

J

Joesitz

There is not much differenced in height between Sasha and MK, but Sasha does not come across "LIVE" as well as MK.
She appears very tiny and her acrobatic moves (absolutely sensational) do not come across on the arena floor as much as they do on the TV screen.

She's the one, though, that MK will have to beat if indeed, MK continues. MK is nothing more than an enigma.

Joe

C

carlantz

Re

Excidra: In USA Michelle is very dificult to beat, outside USA only Irina Slutskaya is the only one who can beat her(i mean constantly) how many times Sasha or Sarah beat her? When was the last time Michelle was out of the podium?

Heyang: I agree you.

L

Ladskater

Maybe not in the USA, but I think the new Russian bright star - Elena Sokolva will be a close contender as well as Fumie S. of Japan (artistically). Fumie is a "skaters skater" like Yuka Sato. Should be interesting in the new season.

Ladskater

E

elingrace4eva

first of all, elena sokolova isn't a new russian star, she's an old russian star who has decided to give skating one last chance.

as for Michelle's competition, I don't think that there's anyone who would be able to beat her everytime, but I don't think that she should completely disregard Sasha. Her inconsistancy gives Michelle the upper hand, but she is still a serious competitor, and if Michelle doesn't watch out, she may sweep in and start winning things. Her consistancy is getting better, and it's just a matter of time before we see stellar performances out of her.

Kat

J

Jayjen35

Hi!

Just visiting here, but I really liked this question. I think MK definitely does have competition both in the US and internationally. While this was a good year for her, and she skated beautifully, I don't think she'll get by with he tech content in the future. I hate to say it yet <em>again</em> but those difficult jumps and combos have got to be there for Michelle to be consistantly competitive in the years to come.

If Sokolova remains she is likely to become a bigger threat, and don't forget Irina will be back and most likely ready to compete. Add the fact that Sarah will probably stick around and have grown into her "new" body by next year. And Sasha is too close to being consistant to count out.

Someone noted earlier that Michelle seemed to be "getting back to basics". If she's rebuilding, and this year was just the starting point then I think we have some remarkable development to come from her in these next years!

C

carlantz

Re

Elingrace: That is the point, Sasha and Sarah dont have the consistency in a full year as Michelle has. The few times Michelle finish 2nd or 3rd is cause she makes obvious mistakes, the only time i remember she lost without doing mistakes was in Nagano 98, at that time Tara made an oustandig program, also in Nagano 02 Irina(only non American rival of consideration) outskated her when MK did not make serious mistakes, you know what happened in Salt Lake City. I ask this question again, when was the last time MK wasnt in the podium?

A

anastasiabeaverhoussen

Sarah

I think Sarah was very consistent up until her Olympic Gold medal. After that she was busy and injured and it seems illprepared for this years Championships.
Now I think Annpatrice McD. may step up as the new Michelle as far as consistency with jumps.