2019 Challenge Cup | Golden Skate

2019 Challenge Cup

Pandicorn

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Entries

Some of the main competitors:
Senior Ladies: 22 skaters: Stomakhina, Meité, Higuchi, Kihira, Paganini, Lin, Glenn
Senior Men: 19 skaters: Maierhofer, Zandron, Aymoz, Fentz, Grassl, Kagiyama, Yamamoto
Senior Pairs: 8 pairs: Hase/Seegert, Hocke/Blommaert, Ghilardi / Ambrosini
Junior Ladies: 19 skaters: Yokoi
Junior Men: 7 skaters: Shun Sato, Peter Liu

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
There’s a skater called Elsbeth in the pre Novices. It’s my neighbours name, I love it!

Looking forward to this and seeing Graham perhaps get his minimums and seeing Harry improve his SB.

Karly is 52nd on the SB list and above some surprising names but perhaps pushing into that top 50 would be good?

Interested to see where Tasya Putri ends up, I hope she does well! I’ll be surprised if Kihira competes.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There’s a skater called Elsbeth in the pre Novices. It’s my neighbours name, I love it!

Looking forward to this and seeing Graham perhaps get his minimums and seeing Harry improve his SB.

Karly is 52nd on the SB list and above some surprising names but perhaps pushing into that top 50 would be good?

Interested to see where Tasya Putri ends up, I hope she does well! I’ll be surprised if Kihira competes.

This competition will count for minimums, but not SB. Only Challenger Series (CS) events, JGP, GP, Euros, 4CCs, Junior Worlds, Worlds and WTT count for SB scores. The other senior/junior B events count for tech minimums and some World Standing points.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Ah okay. That’s a shame for Karly. Still 52nd isn’t bad and it’ll be nice to see them all compete.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
According to his Instagram Peter James Hallam (who won Bronze at the Bravarian Open but was just shy of the Workd FS minimum) will be competing here but he’s not on the entry list, should we expect an updated one soon?

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I see Brasseur/Bardei from Canada are making their international debut here. Skate Canada is hoping they get their levels I imagine as well as gaining international experience.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Starr Andrews added to the list! :cheer: Looking forward to seeing her.

Still thinking it's absurd JPN fed is sending both Sota and Kagiyama into seniors when there's basically just 1 podium spot to fight for (no chance IMO for them against Aymoz and Grassl unless either implodes). Why didn't they just enter Kagiyama into the junior event alongside Shun??! They'd be practically locks for gold and silver, and Kagiyama has more of a chance to gather points there. I just don't understand their reasoning...

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Starr Andrews added to the list! :cheer: Looking forward to seeing her.

Still thinking it's absurd JPN fed is sending both Sota and Kagiyama into seniors when there's basically just 1 podium spot to fight for (no chance IMO for them against Aymoz and Grassl unless either implodes). Why didn't they just enter Kagiyama into the junior event alongside Shun??! They'd be practically locks for gold and silver, and Kagiyama has more of a chance to gather points there. I just don't understand their reasoning...

Maybe Yuma is going into seniors next year, so they want him to experience it? Although I personally think he could stay in juniors with a good chance of going to junior worlds next year. I really like his FS.

I'm puzzled as to why Rika is going. Her latest comp is 4CC which she won, and that gives her enough time to prepare for Worlds. Mako came 6th in nationals, and as far as I know, she hasn't been assigned any international competition.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Well, he can use the experience (I mean, it wouldn't hurt), he can earn Senior minimums if he doesn't already have them and not only that, he can gain ranking points if he finish high enough (top 5).

If he competes in the junior event, he would not be able to gain ranking points nor get mimimums for 4CC/SrWorlds. They do not give ranking points to juniors outside of JGP/JGPF/JrWorlds. Junior Bs are only there for skaters to get experience and to earn minimums for JrW.

Here's a reference from the ISU website
https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-...ations/1625-1629-world-standing-sandp-id/file

surimi

Record Breaker
Well, he can use the experience (I mean, it wouldn't hurt), he can earn Senior minimums if he doesn't already have them and not only that, he can gain ranking points if he finish high enough (top 5).

If he competes in the junior event, he would not be able to gain ranking points nor get mimimums for 4CC/SrWorlds. They do not give ranking points to juniors outside of JGP/JGPF/JrWorlds. Junior Bs are only there for skaters to get experience and to earn minimums for JrW.

Here's a reference from the ISU website
https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-...ations/1625-1629-world-standing-sandp-id/file

I see, thanks for the explanation!

Maybe Yuma is going into seniors next year, so they want him to experience it? Although I personally think he could stay in juniors with a good chance of going to junior worlds next year. I really like his FS.

I'm puzzled as to why Rika is going. Her latest comp is 4CC which she won, and that gives her enough time to prepare for Worlds. Mako came 6th in nationals, and as far as I know, she hasn't been assigned any international competition.

I too think Yuma could get great results if he stayed in juniors for one more season, what with Koshiro, probably Sena, and possibly also Tatsuya and Yuto turning senior... but what do I know. :scratch:

No idea why they are sending Rika K to a B competition between 4CC and Worlds, but as one who is going, I am definitely not complaining. :coffee:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I too think Yuma could get great results if he stayed in juniors for one more season, what with Koshiro, probably Sena, and possibly also Tatsuya and Yuto turning senior... but what do I know. :scratch:

Yuma will do what most senior age eligible junior skaters do (or should do), skate on the JGP and skate as a senior for Challengers/Senior Bs as they award ranking points, which can come in handy if he should make JrW because starting order is determined by WR and no one wants to skate in the first 2 groups as it could be a disadvantage. Like I mentioned earlier, there is no point of him skating as a junior outside the JGP series as it gives him nothing in return, he already has the minimums. I actually see all the guys mentioned above doing the exact same thing unless they have aged out of juniors or if Koshiro/Tatsuya medals at JrW and get a senior GP that way. There are plenty of SeniorBs/Challengers to go around.

frida80

Record Breaker

I don't understand why Rika is here ether. I'd like her to focus on recovery and then on Worlds. But it seems like it's a strategy of JSF for skaters to train and compete in the area before larger events. I think Shoma definitely likes this strategy, he showed up pretty early for 4CC and competed in Europe before WC 2017.

Country
Norway
I don't understand why Rika is here ether. I'd like her to focus on recovery and then on Worlds. But it seems like it's a strategy of JSF for skaters to train and compete in the area before larger events. I think Shoma definitely likes this strategy, he showed up pretty early for 4CC and competed in Europe before WC 2017.

Don´t know if she needs it, but maybe she wants ranking points? Just a thought. Maybe she doesn´t need it like this year, but just wants to climb in the system. I dunno. Maybe she also just wants to compete in Europe, and just wants as much training in competing as possible? Land that 3A in the SP. I´m really looking forward to see her. This will be a nice event to watch. This event will be a good mix of really good skaters and some which needs TES for worlds. It´s nice skaters are coming from the USA and Japan as well :)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't understand why Rika is here ether.
World standing points. She’s hoping to make the Final short program flight at Worlds.

Currently she’s in twelfth, but Evgenia (#2), Kaetlyn (#3), Mai (#5), Wakaba (#7) and Maria (#8) won’t be there (well, I guess Evgenia might theoretically, but it’s a long shot) and Carolina (#10) is uncertain.

Alina (#1), Kaori (#4), Satoko (#6), Bradie (#9) and Elizabet (#11) are all confirmed, and either Carolina or Evgenia would make six. Winning Challenge Cup would let Rika leapfrog up a few ordinals and guarantee final group.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Kihira didn’t commit to attending until Uno dropped out. Perhaps JFS has a deal with the Dutch fed? Not sure why though since figure skating isn’t that popular in the Netherlands and so her attendance won’t necessarily improve attendance, at least not with the locals.

surimi

Record Breaker
Grassl is now off the entry list.