Skaters with consistently good/bad costumes | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skaters with consistently good/bad costumes

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I just had a brilliant idea for costumes next year: a dance team should skate to Pride and Prejudice and the lady should dress as Elizabeth and the man should dress as a curtain.

"Heaven and earth! Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted"

In truth I have noted before how lovely the dresses for the Korean and Japanese ladies often are. Kana M.'s dress for their free dance this year was exquisite. Also the Japanese ladies headpieces are nearly always on point.

And how is this a good idea lol:)

ayame

Rinkside
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that while Yuna had some great dresses (loved the Adios Nonino one), she also had some that I thought were... not great. I couldn't stand the Kiss of the Vampire one in particular :slink:

If we're talking consistency, the Shibs are always very well dressed imo. They don't always steal the show but I can't think of any costumes that I thought were distractingly blegh. Wakaba has great dresses as well. Mao's were very hit or miss to me but her Rachmaninoff dress is one of my all time favourites, it looks great and fits the program fantastically (though I might be biased :laugh:).

tosca

On the Ice
When I think of costumes, the first person who comes to mind is designer Satomi Ito. She has created some amazingly beautiful costumes, my favorite being Shoma's Loco costume. Satoko's Hernando's Hideaway and Musetta's Waltz costumes are gorgeous. https://www.instagram.com/stm_ito/?hl=en

Also Gail Johnson has created some wonderful costumes for Gracie and other U.S. skaters. http://www.illuminescentdesign.com/skating

AHH. This is who has been designing some of my favorite Japanese girls' costumes. Mai Mihara, Wakaba, and Marin's were so lovely last season... I hope Kaori goes to her:slink:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
AHH. This is who has been designing some of my favorite Japanese girls' costumes. Mai Mihara, Wakaba, and Marin's were so lovely last season... I hope Kaori goes to her:slink:

There is kind of a subdued elegance to her stuff, even though some of the costumes have a lot of beading. I'm a huge fan of hers. Several of her pink costumes for Marin were to die for.

bewitched

On the Ice
Like someone mentioned a few pages ago, Kiira Korpi has very beautiful dresses! She has been my favourite for years and not only her costumes are perfect, her hair and make-up are always on point and she looks even more beautiful (and she has this Scandinavian natural beauty).

A few of my favourites:
The Blue Dress https://scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=3a29562d485ca2d39cb1176ba9bc721a&oe=5B78684B
The Pink Dress http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...Skating/KiiraKorpi-OnceUponaTimeinAmerica.jpg
The Aqua Dress, I think the first time when I watched her, she was skating this program https://i.pinimg.com/originals/73/73/ac/7373ac3d9b3baa390fe35e3e5c418e1a.jpg
And many, many more, also off-ice dresses, including her most recent one https://scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=678f1259258aa5dafb62ae08859ee82e&oe=5B7BB380
<3

P.S. From this season, I am mostly impressed with Dabin Choi's style! Very elegant and classy.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Urmanov and Kulik have some hideous outfits as did Lambiel. Patrick had some boring ones. When you youtube you will see Canada had a teenage hope that fizzled badly and she seemed to wear practice outfits all the time even while competing - Tracey Wainman - not good. Bestimianova was always over the top. While not terrible I actually found Katarina Witt's costumes often missing the mark Like a Broadway show Carmen or the red 1994 freeskate dress. They just missed the point or mark.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir not only have beautiful costumes but a great evolution of costumes. One hot topic this season is what costume Tessa will wear for each competition ;). IMO, the final iteration of the costumes are the best of the season, in some cases with pretty noticeable improvements from their first competition (eg. Prince and MR costumes).

Anna Cappellini has some stunning dresses, including some of the best white ones (2016 SD and 2018 FD). I also read from somewhere that she lent/gave her 2013 Carmen dress to Federica Testa for her Paso SD.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Just having a think about this, I came up with a few that I liked:

- Grand Guignol (2011-2012 season SP)
- Liebestraume (2012 early season FS, with black pants and no darker blue appliques)
- Juke (2014 early season SP, before Rohene ruined it with the bedazzler)
- Tristan et Iseult (2015 Worlds FS in the black pants, no boot covers and darker faux leather touches, after they got rid of the grotesque mustard pants)
- The Piano (2017 US Nationals onwards - in the plain black shirt and black pants, simplicity was perfect for that program, after they ditched the hideous Rohene costume and hair dye)

You'll notice a common theme in these...they're the ones Rohene wasn't involved in or before Rohene ruined them. He creates some great choreography but he should be banned from attempting to costume Jason.

Most hideous Jason costumes:
- The first Prince costume
- The original Piano costume (the fact that they also dyed Jason's lovely hair didn't help)
- The mustard Tristan pants
- Liebestraume with the blue pants (yes, that'll make him look so grown up. Let's put him in coloured velvet pants like junior skaters wear!)
Grand Guignol: the vaguely see-through shirt and copper swirls down the leg? Ehhhh
Liebestraume: it’s “meh” but there was never a version of the top that I liked. The blue velvet pants+light blue shirt was awful, I agree.
Juke: The Nebelhorn version was alright, I guess. But I wonder if I just don’t like Jason in blue?
Tristan and Isolde: went from being hideous and tacky, to just tacky
The Piano: You know what, you’re right: this one looked good on him. It’s very...plain, but it worked.

I don’t hate his Hamilton costume either: but, the contrasts are too sharp for me, for some reason, and I think the red vest was fine and they shouldn’t have added the weird blue-grey bit under it.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Urmanov and Kulik have some hideous outfits as did Lambiel. Patrick had some boring ones. When you youtube you will see Canada had a teenage hope that fizzled badly and she seemed to wear practice outfits all the time even while competing - Tracey Wainman - not good. Bestimianova was always over the top. While not terrible I actually found Katarina Witt's costumes often missing the mark Like a Broadway show Carmen or the red 1994 freeskate dress. They just missed the point or mark.

I looked up Tracey. Wow she trained at the Cricket Club! And wow her layback spin! Shame about her costumes, I really like her skating. Maybe she simply didn't have the funding to have fancier costumes? I try to always be cognizant of that factor. I know firsthand that skating is such a crazy expensive sport. Don't know much about her situation as I've just heard of her though, obviously.

I'm with you on Katarina. She's like Javi for me - I always get what they were going for but I just tend not to like the final product.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Re Yuzuru...
he's a reformed fashion criminal now :laugh:
Don't speak too soon, we haven't seen anything for the new season and as I said, Yuzuru's consistency lies in jawdropping....

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that while Yuna had some great dresses (loved the Adios Nonino one), she also had some that I thought were... not great. I couldn't stand the Kiss of the Vampire one in particular :slink:
You're not alone - the design on the front reminds me of an old fake-quilt bedspread I once had, but sparkly.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
And how is this a good idea lol:)

It is a smashing idea. It's time has come. I'm tweeting all the choreographers I can find on the internet with my suggestion. I have Marie-France and a few others.

And yes, plushyfan I am. I am also a fan of Emma, Sense and Sensibility and my personal favourite Persuasion. I love Jane Austen. I have written essays on her novels a few times.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I just used mind bleach on the red cat clip. It is now just a fuzzy memory.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I'll vote for Yuna for great costumes. And Takahito Mura for poor costumes. I like Mura but was usually baffled by his fashion choices on ice.

With regards to Yuzuru it really depends if you like Johnny Weir's designs. They're not for everyone. Fashion blogger Nick Verreos hasn't always praised Yuzuru for his costume decisions.