Article: Goebel works to improve artistry | Golden Skate

Article: Goebel works to improve artistry

insecureedge

On the Ice
ESPN article: Goebel works to improve artistry

What happened:
After he struggled through the short program at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in January, doctors discovered Goebel's problems went beyond bad boots. Tests showed his body's alignment was off, causing hip, back and leg pain.

Goebel took the rest of the season off, doing long hours of physical therapy. He also switched boot companies, and hasn't had any problems since.

But the season of woe had taken its toll. Goebel's jumps still weren't where they'd been in 2002 or 2003. When Carroll went on vacation in August, he suggested Goebel go to Virginia to work with Weisiger, who uses video training software with her skaters.

New training method?
Over the summer, Nichol had Goebel work with a mime. While that might seem an odd pairing, Goebel said a mime's techniques -- facial expressions and body positions -- easily translate to skating.

From new coach Weisiger:
"I'm really excited about this," she said. "I've always had a lot of ideas about what I could do with a skater like Tim, and I can't wait to unleash them on him."

insecureedge

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
If it's working (which it appears to be)...

...then GOOD for Tim. Assuming his season continues to be successful, I'm actually looking forward to the sure-to-be-forthcoming fluff piece about the Mime training. Should be interesting.

DG

S

SkateFan4Life

Cool article! Thanks for posting it. Working with a mime is a very interesting approach, and perhaps it will bring out the actor in Timothy Goebel and enable him to better interpret his music.

He's improving. He's not a natural. No mugging. No schmaltz. He'll get enough to win medals.

Now there is wooden face, wooden body, Brian Joubert, who needs a lot more work on his artistry then any skater in the business. Without the quads, where is he at?

Joe

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I think I'm finally getting to the point that I don't end a sentence in a preposition with. :rofl:

Actually, I thought he had improved a fair amount in his posture and presentation. And - I hope he keeps improving.