2018 Autumn Classic tickets | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic tickets

Haleth

On the Ice
I was concerned about the low number of washroom facilities at the Sixteen Mile Sports Complex. I quick perusal of the arena map showed 1 washroom for fans and 1 for the athletes, coaches, and officials, and no restaurants about 5 minutes or less away by foot that might let people use theirs in exchange for buying something. I don't know about you, but hundreds of women competing for a few stalls is a recipe for a nightmare. That's not even counting the line-up the may happen for hours before to get unreserved seats. So I contacted the customer service people at the complex to make them aware in case SC had not. I just got a reply:

"Thank you for your feedback.

Skate Canada has advised us of past situations regarding public washrooms and we are working closely with them to find the best solution for the event and our facility.

Please check back with us in August as we are currently working on the details and we will have more information to share then.

Feel free to let us know if you have any other questions."

So I will let everyone know what they come up with.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Huh there are washrooms on both levels but I'm guessing the lower level ones are reserved for skaters? Yeah that's going to make things tough for people.

In terms of food options...

There is a restaurant within the arena, between two rinks. You can even see the rinks on either side of it, if I recall correctly. There is also a concession stand or two within the arena.

There are two plazas with restaurants at the main intersection by the rink. It's a short walk. With getting food and coming back it'd probably take you less than half an hour. Depending on how busy the restaurants are and your walking speed, of course. Though I don't think you could just go there to use the bathroom during ice resurfacing and make it back in time.

Haleth

On the Ice
Huh there are washrooms on both levels but I'm guessing the lower level ones are reserved for skaters? Yeah that's going to make things tough for people.

In terms of food options...

There is a restaurant within the arena, between two rinks. You can even see the rinks on either side of it, if I recall correctly. There is also a concession stand or two within the arena.

There are two plazas with restaurants at the main intersection by the rink. It's a short walk. With getting food and coming back it'd probably take you less than half an hour. Depending on how busy the restaurants are and your walking speed, of course. Though I don't think you could just go there to use the bathroom during ice resurfacing and make it back in time.

Yes, I am assuming they wouldn't want fans down there, especially if extremely popular skaters like Yuzuru and Evgenia are there (Y being the one more likely present I assume). Even from the perspective of the skaters/coaches/officials, etc. simply getting _access_ to the washrooms you wouldn't want fans down there competing for stalls.

I saw the food options, but I'm being pessimistic as a way to prepare myself. I suspect showing up hours beforehand with power bars/snacks and water, a hat and sunscreen is the sensible way to prepare. I'd try to get a good meal beforehand, but if reports of last year's lineup hold true, I might be smart taking the first GO bus in the morning to Oakville and then bite a bullet and get a taxi (though the local bus is an option). Heh. Maybe find a 24-hour diner in TO for a very early breakfast? And having at least one person go with you/to meet up with seems sensible so that you can keep place in lines and protect seats. I'm hoping that they'd let us in early enough so one could use the in-house options or walk before the competitions start, because, as you said, resurfacing time is so short. The other option is to triage and skip an event I'm less invested in so there's no frantic racing around. It would be a shame, but needs must.

At least Thursday should be less crazy as far as attendance, allowing me time to orient myself.

Haleth

On the Ice
Are the tickets fully booked?

You can still buy tickets for Thursday only, when the juniors will likely compete. Everything else is booked. All-event and Sat tickets were sold out in minutes, not hours or days on the assumption Yuzuru will return again. Of course we don't know if that will happen, and if for some reason he does not enter or withdraws, I suspect many will sell their tickets, including on the relevant GS forum. I would keep an eye out for the list of entries, which iirc came out last year in July or August.

Link to tickets is on the OP's post above.

Haleth

On the Ice
Just a note that I've sent off the requested e-mail to the customer service staff at the rink complex in Oakville regarding the washroom facilities (see above for details, but they asked me to check back in August). I will be happy to share any information they send me.

Cross your fingers and toes for sensible additions to the single pair of public washrooms! :laugh:

Country
Russia
Main Entries in order of Personal Best
In ( ) - best unofficial, at competitions which don't give ISU Best, only for skaters who haven't ISU Best.

Men
1 Yuzuru HANYU JPN 330.43
2 Jason BROWN USA 273.67
3 Kevin REYNOLDS CAN 253.84
4 Junhwan CHA KOR 248.59
5 Roman SADOVSKY CAN 221.21
6 Julian Zhi Jie YEE MAS 220.67
7 Kevin AYMOZ FRA 220.43
8 Bennet TOMAN CAN 206.41
9 Donovan CARRILLO MEX 200.76
10 Mark GORODNITSKY ISR 186.02
11 Andrew DODDS AUS 177.81
12 Harry MATTICK GBR 171.93
13 Jordan DODDS AUS 154.90
14 Conor STAKELUM IRL 144.52
15 Samuel MCALLISTER IRL 122.31
16 Chadwick WANG SGP 121.07
17 Diego SALDANA MEX 102.76
18 Yamato ROWE PHI 95.91

Adonis Wai Chung WONG HKG -

WD Brendan KERRY AUS 236.24

Ladies
1 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS 241.31
2 Wakaba HIGUCHI JPN 217.63
3 Bradie TENNELL USA 204.10
4 Yura MATSUDA JPN 195.56
5 Mae Berenice MEITE FRA 174.53 (at season 2013/2014)
6 Starr ANDREWS USA 172.65
7 Kailani CRAINE AUS 168.61
8 Eunseo LEE KOR (164.02)
9 Alexia PAGANINI SUI 161.62
10 Brooklee HAN AUS 161.11
11 Eliska BREZINOVA CZE 153.14
12 Alicia PINEAULT CAN 152.81
13 Niki WORIES NED 140.87
14 Andrea MONTESINOS CANTU MEX 128.55
15 Josefin TALJEGARD SWE 122.99
16 Netta SCHREIBER ISR 122.64
17 Amanda STAN ROU 120.11
18 Sofia DEL RIO MEX 103.67
19 Julia GRETARSDOTTIR ISL 88.32
20 Anastassiya KHVAN KAZ 86.81
21 Brooke TAMEPO NZL 79.89

Eva Dogg SAEMUNDSDOTTIR ISL -
Sarah Isabella BARDUA NZL -

WD Larkyn AUSTMAN CAN 136.82

Pairs
1 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES FRA 222.59
2 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO CAN 204.33
3 Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER USA 192.65
4 Lori-Ann MATTE / Thierry FERLAND CAN 142.51

Jessica CALALANG / Brian JOHNSON USA -

Dance
1 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 192.35
2 Carolane SOUCISSE / Shane FIRUS CAN 164.96
3 Olivia SMART / Adrian DIAZ ESP 162.05
4 Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU CHN 158.36
5 Teodora MARKOVA / Simon DAZE BUL 102.32

Molly LANAGHAN / Dmitre RAZGULAJEVS CAN -
Hong CHEN / Zhuoming SUN CHN -

WD Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA 177.36

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, all three of my favorite figure skaters (Yuzuru Hanyu, Jason Brown, and Kevin Reynolds) are competing in this. Eeeeeeeeeee!!! I'm so excited! If all three of them make the podium, it'll be my dream podium.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Papadakis/Cizeron must be going to Finlandia, unless they’re just not doing a Challenger this year. Granted, it’s not like they really need to.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know many people care about one particular men’s skater, so he doesn’t need my attention.

But Jason *and* Donovan at the same senior B. :love::love::love:

The performance meters just went off the charts. (Not even taking into account Kévin and Julian)

:hap10:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Yay for two ladies from Iceland! So rare at senior competitions. Remember Ted saying something about Iceland federation developing skating when Viktoria Bjornsdottir skated in Bratislava.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Papadakis/Cizeron must be going to Finlandia, unless they’re just not doing a Challenger this year. Granted, it’s not like they really need to.

Don't know. P&C chose not to skate a Challenger in 16-17 so they're hard to predict.

I am expecting Stepanova & Bukin at Finlandia, though, as they have gone three of the past four years.

skateflake

On the Ice
The line-up for Men is terrific! Australia is well represented. I did not even know there was a second skater for Mexico. Just "met" Donovan at
the 4 Continents last winter. Cannot wait for the competition to begin.

danse

On the Ice
Since I frequent Oakville often, I can offer some local guidance:

For anyone who doesn't know the area well, there are plenty of food options and a really good grocery store called Fortino's which has a large hot food area with fresh pizzas, sandwiches, sushi, etc ready made (I recommend the pizzas - they're delicious!). There's a Boston Pizza in that plaza as well as a burger place and some international foods - Pho, etc. literally right across the street. A little bit of a further walk but not much further (across Dundas) you have your basic fast foods - McDonald's, Pizza Pizza, Tim Hortons, and a lower-end but cheaper grocery store Food Basics, plus gas stations and banks.

There are no hotels within walking distance or really even close by the arena. The closest hotel is about a 20-25 minute car ride away and it's about the same amount of time to get to the GO Station from there too. Uber might be your best friend.

If anyone has any area questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to help!

Haleth

On the Ice
So supposedly the hockey net and some of the protective glass will be down for the event. I definitely hope the netting will go, it really does affect the impact of performances. :pray:

Food and beverages are fine to bring inside and bags of any size, though with limited space it was suggested even carry-on luggage might be difficult to deal with because there isn't much space under the seats.

According to the rink's customer service, there will be at least one extra "high end" portable "washroom" (no idea if that's just one stall or if they will have more, and no idea whether or not they are segregated by gender), placed outside the athlete's entrance for the public. There will of course be the two indoor washrooms available to the public (one on each floor), so be ready for lineups and hope everyone is on their best behaviour. 1000+ people struggling to use them on Friday and Saturday :eeking: Well, at least with the outdoor washroom maybe you'll see a coach or skater you admire while you wait? :laugh: Be strategic in your drinking and when you plan to line up!

Kings

Rinkside
Thanks! This is really helpful.

Do you know how much parking at the arena costs? I'm driving in each day from Toronto and I'm not sure if I should try for on-site parking or leave my car at the nearby shopping complex and walk over.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skate Canada released more tickets today, FYI. Day passes are currently available for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

DonnaR

On the Ice
I believe parking is free - at least it has been the few times I've been there for other skating events.