Double tracings | Golden Skate

Double tracings

skatingfantasy

Rinkside
After my first skate sharpening at my new rink I have been leaving double tracings on the ice when doing my scratch spin, I never did this before the first four years I've been skating
and can't help but think it's the way they sharpened my skates. But maybe it is me and I can't think what to do about it. I've had my skates sharpened three more times and I'm still doing it. My new rink is not very good at sharpening figure skaters boots , just hockey skates and when they do your skates, yeah they come out sharp but not smooth all the way to the pick if you know what i mean . Anyone else have this problem?

antmanb

Record Breaker
I always throught the scartch spin was supposed to leave a double tracing - one line being the edge you're spinning on and the other being the toe pick graze - hence the name?

Ant

icenut84

Final Flight
I think the edge & toepick explanation may be right. I've seen tracings like that lots of times from coaches, so I don't think it's anything to worry about too much. If you're still concerned, talk to your coach about it and see what he/she says.

skatepixie

On the Ice
My coach always says that what you should strive for. And, yes, it is the toe pick and the edge, which would be the LBI for a CCW skater.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
skatingfantasy said:
After my first skate sharpening at my new rink I have been leaving double tracings on the ice when doing my scratch spin, I never did this before the first four years I've been skating
and can't help but think it's the way they sharpened my skates. But maybe it is me and I can't think what to do about it. I've had my skates sharpened three more times and I'm still doing it. My new rink is not very good at sharpening figure skaters boots , just hockey skates and when they do your skates, yeah they come out sharp but not smooth all the way to the pick if you know what i mean . Anyone else have this problem?

first, you should take your skates to a figure skating pro shop - they are better at sharpening your blades than having them done at your rink. After a sharpening it always takes a few turns around the rink to get used to them again. They seem resistant to the ice surface at first.

As for the double tracings - are you travelling in your spin? You will notice the tracings if you are not well centred. This could be part of the problem. Make sure you are well centred when entering the spin.

Hope this helps.

skatingfantasy

Rinkside
double tracings

Thanks everyone, I guess the real problem is not the double tracings, I just wasn't sure what it was, the problem is that after doing a scratch spin , my tracings look like a support our troops ribbon or breast cancer ribbon, you know it has like two angles on the top of the circle instead of a perfect rounded swirley like im used to so i was just wonderingif anyone else did that?