2018-2019 US Ice Dance | Golden Skate

2018-2019 US Ice Dance

chameleon

On the Ice
Thought it was time to get this started.

Summary of news thus far:
  • Shibs are taking a season off
  • Hawayek/Baker and Chock/Bates are joining Hubbell/Donohue in Montreal
  • Carreira/Ponomarenko have decided to move to the senior level
  • Pogrebinsky/Benoit have split, he has retired, she is looking for a partner
  • Biechler/Dodge have split, she is focusing on singles
  • Greg Zuerlein has left Novi and is now coaching at Wheaton
  • Krylova has returned to Russia
  • Igor and Pasquale have joined forces
A fair amount of upheaval just in the off season, it'll be very interesting to see it play out. Less movement on the junior level, but C/P moving up leaves a spot open for the junior world team for plenty of teams to fight for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Also, as I posted on the competition thread, teams have signed up for the Chesapeake Open competition this month.

There are 21 junior teams signed up, including everyone from last year's U.S. Junior Nationals except Carreira & Ponomarenko, Lewis & Bye, and Cesanek & Usanov. Last year's novice 1st place and 5th place teams, Wolfkostin & Zhou and the Browns, are both signed up to compete in juniors as well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Note that one reason why Hawayek/Baker moved to Montreal was that Angelika Krylova has returned to Russia and will coach there. That's also why Pasquale is now with Igor.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I am REALLY curious to see how chock/bates do this season. All last season you could see it all over Madi’s face in the kiss-and-cry: she was not happy with those scores. She wants to be at the top. I’ve noticed that the judges give them 70+, but nowhere close to the 77+ that others get.

chameleon

On the Ice
Note that one reason why Hawayek/Baker moved to Montreal was that Angelika Krylova has returned to Russia and will coach there. That's also why Pasquale is now with Igor.

Thank you, I had meant to put that but it must have slipped my mind.

I'm looking forward to seeing results from Chesapeake Open as an early indicator of who may be in running for JGP spots. Competition will be fierce, with a lot of good teams that may deserve two outings.

What is really curious is how the situation in Gadbois will play out. Its been a few years since the last time the entire world team trained together. I don't expect this to last forever, but I am very intrigued to see how Chock/Bates and Hawayek/Baker look next season.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
H/B stagnated under Krylova and Pasquale. They saw how well their former training mates were doing in Montreal and made the move since there were going to be several openings post OG's.

I think that happened before the whole Krylova is going to Russia and Pasquale is teaming with Igor deal.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Double posting here & in the event forum:

Junior Short Dance Results
1. Green/Green, 56.40
2. Gropman/Somerville, 52.08
3. Brown/Brown, 47.86
4. Elder/Elder, 47.24
5. Gunter/Wein, 46.42
6. Wolfkostin/Zhao, 45.04
7. Haines/Koszuta, 42.56
8. Efimova/ Petrov, 41.68
9. Weatherby/Bogomol, 41.20
10. Zhao/Niva, 39.58
11. Rose/Michel, 38.06
12. Purnell/Purnell, 36.08
13. Chen/Jin, 35.76
14. Melton/O’Donnell, 35.64
15. Krauskopf/Walter, 32.38

Junior Free Dance Results
1. Nguyen/Kolesnik, 73.64
2. Gropman/Somerville, 72.19
3. Green/Green, 72.04
4. DelCamp/Gart, 62.51
5. Elder/Elder, 60.71
6. Haines/Koszuta, 59.23
7. Gunter/Wein, 58.71
8. Wolfkostin/Zhao, 57.83
9. Efimova/ Petrov, 57.16
10. Brown/Brown, 56.38
11. Rose/Michel, 55.92
12. Pettersson/Carey, 54.40
13. Brykalova/Brykalov, 53.49
14. Weatherby/Bogomol, 51.12

Some teams competed in only the SD and some in only the FD. Amoia & Becker appear to have withdrawn.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Don't know of it's the right place either, but I enjoyed reading the interview. Thanks Tatjana!

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Does anyone know what Lewis & Bye are doing early-season? I was watching them last season and am interested in seeing them grow

humbaba

Final Flight
Does anyone know what Lewis & Bye are doing early-season? I was watching them last season and am interested in seeing them grow

I've heard conflicting reports about Lewis/Bye. Someone on another forum said there was a rumor Chloe was taking the season off. Someone else said they were currently training. Who knows?

I thought Lewis/Bye were judged rather harshly in their junior grand prixs last fall. I wish them well whatever they choose to do.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
The biggest summer ice dance event is at Lake Placid in late July. If we are going to see more junior teams this summer--Lewis & Bye, Amoia & Becker (they were signed up but seem to have withdrawn from the Chesapeake Open), Cesanek & Usanov, Jeffrey Chen, Kenan Slevira, or anyone else with a new partner--that seems like a likely location. Last year there were also pictures posted from Dance Camp after the Chesapeake Open was over and there were a few teams in the photos attending camp that did not participate in the competition.

chameleon

On the Ice
GP assignments are out! Very pleased that all the teams only guaranteed one got two in the initial selection.

Hubbell/Donohue: Skate America and Skate Canada
Chock/Bates: Finland and Russia
Hawayek/Baker: Japan and France
Parsons/Parsons: Japan & France
McNamara/Carpenter: Skate America & Finland
Carreira/Ponomarenko: Finland & Russia

There's still an open host spot at SA, which is good news for Aldridge/Eaton or maybe Manta/Johnson. I imagine both teams will likely be at Lake Placid, which might be the decider.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The biggest summer ice dance event is at Lake Placid in late July. If we are going to see more junior teams this summer--Lewis & Bye, Amoia & Becker (they were signed up but seem to have withdrawn from the Chesapeake Open), Cesanek & Usanov, Jeffrey Chen, Kenan Slevira, or anyone else with a new partner--that seems like a likely location. Last year there were also pictures posted from Dance Camp after the Chesapeake Open was over and there were a few teams in the photos attending camp that did not participate in the competition.

According to a joint account run by McNamara/Carpenter I think they're going to it.https://www.instagram.com/p/BklfsMplyXF/?taken-by=mcnamaracarpenter

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
According to a joint account run by McNamara/Carpenter I think they're going to it.https://www.instagram.com/p/BklfsMplyXF/?taken-by=mcnamaracarpenter

Oh, I'm glad. Thank you for the heads up. I think they always go, but I was a little worried that M&C might change their season now that they have Challengers and GP events.

Wonder of wonders, I am actually going to the event this year! I would have had a great time regardless, but I will have a greater one with McNamara & Carpenter there.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Cannon Texas Open results are posted here:
https://www.ice-dance.com/site/results-2018-cannon-texas-open/

Watching the summer results to see who is likely to get a shot on the JGP outside of the Greens, Gropman & Somerville, and Nguyen & Kolesnik (and Lewis & Bye if they compete).

Gunter & Wein, DelCamp & Gart, The Elders, Efimova & Petrov, Wolfkostin & Zhao, Haines & Koszuta all on the ISP. The Browns looking like they might make an argument for adding themselves to the list of possibilities.

Wolfkostin & Zhao signed up for Skate Detroit, but none of those other teams entered.

Yours truly is waiting impatiently for the entry lists at Lake Placid.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Jeffrey Chen's new partner is Anya Lavrova.
Today they won Novice Pattern Dance at 2018 Dance-Pairs Chicago.

Layla Grace Karnes and Kirill Aksenov placed third.

Yes, and the two teams placed back to back in their first pattern dance. Classic. The number of times I have seen Hubbell & Donohue and Gilles & Poirier finish back to back over the years . . . never burn your bridges in ice dance. The community is just too small. You may find yourself working down the judging table from your former partner years in the future. LOL.

In all seriousness, I'm glad to see that both Chen & Karnes are back on the ice with their new partners. Will really miss seeing novice nationals on Ice Network this season. Tkachenko & Kiliakov, Lin & Sletten, the Peals (who have a stellar Greatest Showman FD this season), and now both of these teams--it's going to be fun.