Football/Soccer WC 2018 | Golden Skate

Football/Soccer WC 2018

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
The most fans are coming from... USA. Even though we don't have a team there...:scratch2:

Mexican Americans? Brazilian Americans? German Americans? Strong dollar is surely a big help to travel to Russia.

Amei

Record Breaker
The most fans are coming from... USA. Even though we don't have a team there...:scratch2:

Mexican Americans? Brazilian Americans? German Americans? Strong dollar is surely a big help to travel to Russia.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Russia have some pretty strict immigration laws? Perhaps with St. Petersburg hosting the WC its made visiting St. Petersburg a little easier so some non-football fans are using the WC as a chance to visit?

***If you ever have the opportunity to go St. Petersburg is beautiful :)

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Russia have some pretty strict immigration laws? Perhaps with St. Petersburg hosting the WC its made visiting St. Petersburg a little easier so some non-football fans are using the WC as a chance to visit?

***If you ever have the opportunity to go St. Petersburg is beautiful :)
Russia is using FanID cards again. Just like back in Sochi days.

It's pretty simple and effective. I heard their security special forces loved and praised this system after Sochi. Made their life so much easier to be effective. Not sure why they didn't use it in France..

It's pretty simple to apply. After you buy your ticket(s) to soccer match via FIFA website and receive confirmation number all people have to go to www.Fan-ID.ru and apply for their FanID accreditation to Russia. Just a simple form to fill out. They will mail to you promptly and so far they sending FanIDs out like hot pierogi. People with visa requirements to Russia receive it without problems. Just like we all did for OG at Sochi back in 2014. I heard its even possible to apply for FanID in their airports, but not too sure, it's better to do that in advance. FanID serves as entry visa and travel document in Russia. FanID card also gives you free rides on trains and buses in Russia and free public transportation use in host cities on game days. Also FanID gives 10 days before the first game and 10 days after the last game visa-free travel opportunity.

So yeah, it's a little easier for Americans and Europeans to travel to Russia thanks to WC.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Polish team also qualified. I have no high hopes, but my fingers are crossed for a good tournament for them. Lots of Polish people however are blowing up that expectation balloon to infinity, but it is the same at every big football thing:).
I plan to watch as much as possible, we will see how time difference will play out while I am at work... ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I doubt the Socceroos will get anywhere. 2006 was really our big chance.

Not that I generally enjoy watching soccer anyway, bunch of overpaid prima donna divas with worse acting than the razzies just get up and get on with it. But gotta support the national team, you know. So I might turn on a game in the background.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I doubt the Socceroos will get anywhere. 2006 was really our big chance.

Not that I generally enjoy watching soccer anyway, bunch of overpaid prima donna divas with worse acting than the razzies just get up and get on with it. But gotta support the national team, you know. So I might turn on a game in the background.

It is a thing that often makes me cringey...I'm always a fan of underdogs and Iceland is the team I'm cheering for. It is so funny to see all these football professionals/experts knocking them out from the start, I hope they'll make even a bigger splash than at last Euros in France;)

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Go Uruguay! :cheer:
FIFA doesn't like us, but we will do our best against corrupted officials.
I won't make any predictions before our first match, as no rival should be over or understimated.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Go Uruguay! :cheer:
FIFA doesn't like us, but we will do our best against corrupted officials.
I won't make any predictions before our first match, as no rival should be over or understimated.

Uruguay, along Peru are my faves from South America:cheer:, I have such sentiment for Diego Forlan...:):):)

And during past weekend I have this thought that it could be fun to make a mini predictions game for World Cup (I make predictions for fun every 4 years for funnies):)

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Uruguay, along Peru are my faves from South America:cheer:, I have such sentiment for Diego Forlan...:):):)

And during past weekend I have this thought that it could be fun to make a mini predictions game for World Cup (I make predictions for fun every 4 years for funnies):)

Aww yes, I truly root for the other Conmebol teams. And about Forlan, Best Player from South Africa 2010 ;)

It would be fun to have a predictions game

icybear

Medalist
Wc predictions are impossible. Esp as no team looks particularly impressive this year. I'm still sad about the fact Italy didn't managed to qualify. I kinda want Argentina to win, partially because I felt so sorry for how dejected Messi looked when he lost the world cup final in the 2014.

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Wc predictions are impossible. Esp as no team looks particularly impressive this year. I'm still sad about the fact Italy didn't managed to qualify. I kinda want Argentina to win, partially because I felt so sorry for how dejected Messi looked when he lost the world cup final in the 2014.

If Argentina wants to win, then Higuaín should not play any match.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So, I traditionally cheer for Costa Rica! :hap10: (I cheer for them ever since they've lost to Poland in 2006)

But since Poland actually qualified as well after some time, I feel obligated to cheer for them too. As for the teams who have better chances to win anything, I cheer for Croatia. And for Egypt to eliminate Spain, because Mo Salah is the Pharaoh of Football :)

ETA: I loved Diego Forlan too! And I wasn't even such a big fan of Atletico Madrid yet :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I, £10 Argentina at 9/1.

Ohhhh my hubby split 10k with his dad on the Three Lions.....D-E-L-U-S-I-O-N-A-L at their finest! :disapp:

Oh wow, that 10k is one bold move! :laugh:
Who knows, maybe this is a year of England? Reading analysis, commentaries and asking for opinion, it is either a top 4 or a flop. Same with France to be honest... It could depends on how these 2 teams will fare in their opening matches.
@cathlen - agree about Egypt and Mohammed Salah who even charmed my mom, the biggest fan of Christiano Ronaldo :laugh:. I do hope they will do well, despite one of the hardest groups.

Spinning

On the Ice
Oh wow, that 10k is one bold move! :laugh:
Who knows, maybe this is a year of England? Reading analysis, commentaries and asking for opinion, it is either a top 4 or a flop. Same with France to be honest... It could depends on how these 2 teams will fare in their opening matches.
@cathlen - agree about Egypt and Mohammed Salah who even charmed my mom, the biggest fan of Christiano Ronaldo :laugh:. I do hope they will do well, despite one of the hardest groups.

Ha Ha absolute madness if you asked me. When your top scorer is Danny Welbeck, the best we hope for would be survive the top16. Southgate is too inexperienced and clueless with his team selections IMHO. You can't go into the biggest tournament of your career with three newbies GKs.

As a Red fan, I hope Salah does well too but not too great to get RM hounding on him later on. I hope he will stay for a year at least.

What happened to Team Japan anyway???? I heard they called back Keisuke Honda and Shinji Kagawa from retirement. :think: