Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moriel View Post
    Well, afaik... For people from most countries, I suppose it is fairly doable to stay in Canada up to 6 months.
    Longer stay may be trickier / not doable. Maybe it could be easier for underage skaters to get their parents to stay longer, but that does not apply.

This is why my guess is that Zhenya's mom will stay there for a couple of months, until Zhenya has everything sorted out, a place to live, furniture, healthcare and so on, whatever may require some additional support, and then leave.
    of course, i am just a common mortal.. but it took me 3 months to switch from province to province healthcare... hopefully they have faster things organized for athletes...

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Someone should change the grammar error in this title

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I edited my post accordingly. I'm not a fan of shipping either, but now that you said it...
    good... you know.. sometimes people say the same things but differently

glad she had a familiar friendly face to greet her Best wishes to Zhenya!!!

5 Not allowed!
    Now I need pics of Jason and Zhenya welcoming Boyang and then my off season dreams are complete.
    WHY AREN'T YOU AT TCC YET BOYANG?!😭

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightcass View Post
    Now I need pics of Jason and Zhenya welcoming Boyang and then my off season dreams are complete.
    WHY AREN'T YOU AT TCC YET BOYANG?!😭
    Maybe he really wants to make an entrance!

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by StitchMonkey View Post
    Maybe he really wants to make an entrance!
    in his gold blades :P Hey Jason and Gabby need special blades too. We've got black (Yuzu), gold (Boyang), and rose gold (Evgenia) - ha ha the TCC special blades edition!

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyH View Post
    in his gold blades :P Hey Jason and Gabby need special blades too. We've got black (Yuzu), gold (Boyang), and rose gold (Evgenia) - ha ha the TCC special blades edition!
    I think a deep royal purple for Gabby... just let Rohene bedazzle Jason's blades. Sparkle is a color right?

GS Supporter

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    of course, i am just a common mortal.. but it took me 3 months to switch from province to province healthcare... hopefully they have faster things organized for athletes...
    but on the other hand they are not locals and their english is not anywhere near native level, which makes things much harder.

0 Not allowed!
    What does this mean???

1 Not allowed!
    but on the other hand they are not locals and their english is not anywhere near native level, which makes things much harder.
    well i did mine in French but i think TCC will help her through that though.

0 Not allowed!
    So Yuzu does have someone to speak Japanese with now.

Bona Fide Member

6 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    well i did mine in French but i think TCC will help her through that though.
    Zhenya won't be eligible for publicly funded health insurance as she won't be a resident.

There is private insurance available though. It's used by international students throughout their stay and and by new immigrants during the 3 month waiting period for eligibility.

I'm sure she's been given good guidance on what coverage she will need.

1 Not allowed!
    Yahoo Japan published many articles that she is getting an apartment rather than a house due to security reasons

Bona Fide Member

10 Not allowed!
    Toronto is a very very multicultural place, Evgenia's level of English will be fine here, a lot of our public services and such are all used to communicating with people who have less than perfect English. Also Russian speakers are not uncommon here either.

21 Not allowed!
    Evgenia has picked up English incredibly quickly. All this hand-wringing is laughable, really. I've lived abroad and never got to a level where I could speak a foreign language as well as she does. Millions of people manage to survive in foreign countries every day without a catastrophe. She's going to be literally surrounded with other foreigners, peers and staff who are totally accustomed to dealing with skaters with a far more tenuous grasp of English.

This girl is fearless, extroverted and extremely intelligent. She will manage.

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchii View Post
    Toronto is a very very multicultural place, Evgenia's level of English will be fine here, a lot of our public services and such are all used to communicating with people who have less than perfect English. Also Russian speakers are not uncommon here either.
    Indeed - she'll be totally fine with her level of English in Toronto. Toronto is probably the most multicultural of all the cities in North America. Toronto will have world cup fever as well, it's wonderful how all the neighbourhoods have their flags up and all the bars are hopping with people watching all the action. I know she's not there to be a tourist but I hope she has some free time on the weekends to go and explore the city - it really is a wonderful place!

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amef View Post
    What does this mean???
    Evgenia switched coaches after the Olympics, and she arrived today in Toronto to begin training with her new coach, Brian Orser, who also trains a few other Olympic athletes from various countries. Currently, we are discussing custom blades from John Wilson, who has made skating blades in special colors for some of the athletes, including a pair of rose gold blades for Medvedeva.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. Maybe there will be a trend for custom designed blades afterwards.
    Now that we have Brown, Boyang and Zhenya at TCC I guess we will have much more news of TCC on their social media.
    Or does Borser have strict Social media ban to some extent? (Only Conrad Orzel and occasionally Gabby share training vids often).

7 Not allowed!
    I'm so happy Zhenya is in Toronto now. Hope she does well in her new environment

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amef View Post
    So Yuzu does have someone to speak Japanese with now.
    And Shingo said that his role model is Yuzu himself so I'm hoping we are going to see a lot of interactions from the both of them

Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast