Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 81 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wonder if Utana is (or will be) a skater of TCC officially...I will be glad if I am able to see Japanese ice dance couple from TCC.

I would think so. The other guy in that picture with Romain is Andrew Hallam, who coaches the Canadian junior dance teams at TCC, so it looks like he's coaching them. And that would make sense since Shingo does his singles training at TCC too (like Natalie, Bruce and Corey).

yude

Record Breaker
Brian has won an award - the Gold Award of Mizuno Sports Mentor Award, worth quite a bit of cash too - for coaching Yuzu to that second gold medal. There will be celebrations at TCC...

https://twitter.com/hanyuyuzurufeed/status/1103279053488967680

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Thank you for your post, I copy mine from Yuzuru's thread :)

Brian Orser won the Gold on "Mizuno Sports Mentor Awards 2018", he will be awarded 2.0 million yen as prize money. Looking at the winners in the past, it seems this is the first time a person from overseas was chosen. Mizuno is a big company known for its sporting goods and Mizuno foundation is the main stockholder, and it established this award with JOC (Japan Olympic Committee) in 1990. I wonder if there will be the award ceremony, I hope there is. Congratulations, Brian!

https://twitter.com/TeamBrian2018/st...88359953227776
https://www.sankei.com/sports/news/1...060040-n1.html
https://www.mizuno.co.jp/zaidan/mentor.aspx

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A description from Tracy Wilson that defines TCC:

"But, I had a moment today, where you know, Jun is fixing his skate and Yuzu’s quadding all over [laughs] and Evgenia is triple something-triple looping, and Jason is doing all this magic, and I said to Jun “I’m just trying to stay out of the way!” [Laughter] Because, you know, and I’m grateful. I’m so grateful."

:luv17:

transcript of InTheLoop interview with Tracy. (h/t to Tavi for link)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You should hear the interview if you have the chance! Just the way she talks about the skaters is so nice and warm.

Jason’s mentioned a few times about how tough Tracy (and Brian) can be, so it’s nice to hear her take on why she’s tough with the skaters!

Given the number of times she talked about having joy, I’m tempted to call her the Marie Kondo of figure skating. :laugh:

Last edited:

yude

Record Breaker
You should hear the interview if you have the chance! Just the way she talks about the skaters is so nice and warm.

Jason’s mentioned a few times about how tough Tracy (and Brian) can be, so it’s nice to hear her take on why she’s tough with the skaters!

Given the number of times she talked about having joy, I’m tempted to call her the Marie Kondo of figure skating. :laugh:

Yuzuru also said in the magazine before Tracy was the toughest coach in the team, just the tasks she gave in the training were so hard :biggrin:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and Jason's shout out to Team Cricket before leaving for Japan:

5 Countries ‬
‪4 Coaches
‪ 3 Men
‪ 2 Women
✨ 1 TEAM! ✨
2019 World Championships... ‬
‪HERE WE COME!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvC2-VWnTou/

Good luck to all:hap10:

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Outwardly I'm calm but inside I really do feel like a struck tuning fork :luv17:

They're probably all in the air right now, or even already arrived - there was a 13 1/2 hour flight that left around 2.30 yesterday afternoon. Best of luck to everyone!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

yude

Record Breaker
I think Jason's speech in Japanese at the banquet was great, it is unfortunate we couldn't hear all of it. It had a lot of honorific languages which we don't use daily since it was formal speech, but his pronunciation was clear and very good (It is nice if Yuzuru helped him at some point.).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Jason's speech in Japanese at the banquet was great, it is unfortunate we couldn't hear all of it. It had a lot of honorific languages which we don't use daily, but his pronunciation was clear and very good (It is nice if Yuzuru helped him at some point.).

I wonder if he was trying to overdo it on honorifics not to offend officials or something?

yude

Record Breaker
I wonder if he was trying to overdo it on honorifics not to offend officials or something?

I think he could reduce "sama" (honorific for "san") a little, but other than that, it was formal speech Japanese do at the ceremonies or parties. Our society is strict for people bad at honorifics, but Jason doesn't have to worry :)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think he could reduce "sama" (honorific for "san") a little, but other than that, it was formal speech Japanese do at the ceremonies or parties. Our society is strict for people bad at honorifics, but Jason doesn't have to worry :)

Thank you for letting us know how Jason sounded. My knowledge of Japanese is sadly non-existent, and even I could hear that he was saying "sama" at the end of every name:)

I also hope that he had some help from Yuzu. Maybe when Yuzu was clapping after the speech, it was because he was proud of his student:biggrin:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love the clips from this CBC video. Tracy and Brian are so positive and grounded

and I adore Tracy saying, "it was never about having the best result, but changing the sport" :clap:

and "We don't want to break anyone because of the sport, we want them to grow"

:love: