Japan Open Competitors Announced | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Japan Open Competitors Announced

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Being able to engage the audience and performance have nothing to do with technique criteria.

It has everything to do with why you would invite a skater to a fluff competition, which is the topic of this thread. Most aren't counting how many triples were landed - they care more about fun, ebullient skates.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
:rolleye: At least Canada has qualified 3 ladies for two seasons in a row now.
And this is a so great accomplishement that they won the same number of medals (3) this season at worlds and will again win them next season.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
And this is a so great accomplishement that they won the same number of medals (3) this season at worlds and will again win them next season.

Canadian women winning half of the World podiums at the last 2 World Championships, is indeed an accomplishment and deserving of recognition, whether some here like it or not! It would be nice if Gabby was offered a spot given her achievements.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The third Canadian lady didn't qualify for the free skate of the two biggest competitions. That should end the discussion about the depth of that field.

Oda was 28th at WC2010, when Japan had 3 spots. The results were actually "worse" for Japanese men (1st, 10th, 28th) compared to Canadian ladies at WC2018 (1st, 7th, 25th).

But I don't think anyone would argue the Japanese men lacked depth simply because one of their men (a relatively seasoned competitor at that, unlike Austman) didn't qualify for the FS at Worlds.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/CAT001RS.HTM

Also note that at Nationals, Oda came 2nd, beating Kozuka (the following season's World silver medalist) and a slew of eventual Japanese stars like Mura, Machida and Hanyu ... so it would have been pretty shortsighted to say the #2 Japanese man not qualifying for the FS at Worlds should have ended any discussion about the depth of that field.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Sigh. I really think this is just about IMG representation and which athletes want to travel halfway around the world for the Japan Open (which is a well-paying cheesefest with no short programs, no pairs, and no dancers). If people want to argue on and on about it, go ahead; but the fact is that Zagitova and Nathan Chen are invited. And Ashley wasn't last season. This isn't about nationality, depth, or popularity. It's about money.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Oda was 28th at WC2010, when Japan had 3 spots. The results were actually "worse" for Japanese men (1st, 10th, 28th) compared to Canadian ladies at WC2018 (1st, 7th, 25th).

But I don't think anyone would argue the Japanese men lacked depth simply because one of their men (a relatively seasoned competitor at that, unlike Austman) didn't qualify for the FS at Worlds.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/CAT001RS.HTM

Also note that at Nationals, Oda came 2nd, beating Kozuka (the following season's World silver medalist) and a slew of eventual Japanese stars like Mura, Machida and Hanyu ... so it would have been pretty shortsighted to say the #2 Japanese man not qualifying for the FS at Worlds should have ended any discussion about the depth of that field.
That usual habit of taking worst cases as example to prove your point.... This doesn't make the canadian field get any deeper.
But since you're so convinced that Canadian field is as deep as others big countries fields, and that Larkynn would have qualified for the FS if it was not her first worlds and olympics, believe.

Tutto

Record Breaker
When is usually a full list of participants announced? Sorry I just never been paid any attention to the event before but after reading this thread got curious who else will be going... thanks in advance

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

It's a great accomplishment that Canada:

1. Won the most medals at 2017 Worlds and tied for the most medals at 2018 Worlds
2. Won the most medals at this year's Olympics (4)
3. Qualified the most spots for OG and tied for 2018 Worlds (11).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
When is usually a full list of participants announced? Sorry I just never been paid any attention to the event before but after reading this thread got curious who else will be going... thanks in advance

Last season it was in early september i think.

And the most important, there was a live stream! I hope there will be one this season too.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Sigh. I really think this is just about IMG representation and which athletes want to travel halfway around the world for the Japan Open (which is a well-paying cheesefest with no short programs, no pairs, and no dancers). If people want to argue on and on about it, go ahead; but the fact is that Zagitova and Nathan Chen are invited. And Ashley wasn't last season. This isn't about nationality, depth, or popularity. It's about money.
:agree:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Even Bychenko was invited last season. That means that skaters don't get invitations by "accomplishements" or "who deserve it more" criteria.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Hey Folks, let's stay on track and update the thread accordingly when other skaters are announced. Feel free to open other threads for discussion that are not related.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I think it's very likely Bradie was invited because there's some sort of sponsorship deal to have the current US Ladies Champion. I cross-referenced the invited US skaters at Japan Open with the US Champions from the previous season- 2014 was the most recent year that Japan Open didn't feature the current US Ladies Champion (Gracie Gold) though notably they did have her (that is to say, the current US Ladies Champion) 2013, 2012, 2011, 2008, and 2007.

Overall since 2006 Japan Open has had the US Ladies Champion nine times (pre-emptively counting 2018) and not had her three times. I think this is probably not a coincidence.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Even Bychenko was invited last season. That means that skaters don't get invitations by "accomplishements" or "who deserve it more" criteria.

It's not like Bychenko had zero accomplishments - along with being a Euros silver medalist, he was top 10 at the Worlds prior to 2017 Japan Open --- and, notably, ended up 3rd ranked of all the European men at said Worlds. http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/wc2017/CAT001RS.HTM

He is also known to be a charismatic, fun skater to watch. The point of this competition is to entertain the crowd too.

If Kolyada (the 2nd best European from 2017 Worlds; who had already gone to 2017 World Team Trophy) was unavailable/unwilling, then Bychenko was the obvious next choice - and IMO it would have unquestionably been a deserving choice based off of Bychenko's accomplishments.

Who else if not Bychenko would you have sent to represent Europe? Kovtun (who also went to 2017 World Team Trophy)? Hendrickx?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The voice of reason. Thank you.

I'm sure it is well-paying, but contributors are acting as though their favorite skaters have been dis-invited to Christmas dinner. We don't even know if non-invited skaters wanted to attend. They could have been asked, but were unable to make it because of training schedule, other skating commitments, or personal reasons (like it's a cheese-fest that's not worth the time and bother).

sheetz

Record Breaker

Bychenko was actually a substitute for Tomas Verner, who withdrew due to injury.

icetug

Medalist
After all the discussion above it's a pleasure to mention that Gabby has been invited and now is on the list of participants ;)
Deniss joined Team Europe while Satako and Kaori - Team Japan.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The one remaining spot for Team Europe would be taken by Evgenia Medvedeva if she is available. It's slightly disappointing to see Team Japan miss Marin Honda. The organizers of the event opted for the Olympic skaters.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott was just added to the team NA roster. I wonder if this means Takahashi will be added to Japan?