What archived FS videos are you watching? | Golden Skate

What archived FS videos are you watching?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Some nice person uploaded whole ABC televised segments of various U.S. Nationals and World Championships. I've watched the years when I was just an Olympics fan (college/early career kept me away from following skating that actively).

So far I've watched the ladies segment of 2003 and 2004 U.S. nationals and 2004 Worlds. I've watched individual skaters from those competitions, but never the whole segment.

Some observations I had while watching.
Nationals
* I have a lot more respect in hindsight that Sarah Hughes tried to come back. She never would replicate her Olympic results, but she gave it a good try.
* Michelle and Nationals, always a good combo.
* I'm sad that Ann Patrice McDonough never did a whole lot in seniors.
* Ye Bin Mok had a great lutz!
* Jenny Kirk's Chicago program is still a classic!

Worlds 2004
* Carolina Kostner in 2003! 15-year-old who had way too much speed for her own good. It's nice to know that she became a much more refined and elegant skater.
* Also Miki Ando in 2003! She showed a lot of promise. 3Z-3Lo!
* Love Shizuka's Ina Bauer! So fun to see that breakthrough skate.
* Michelle grabs hearts even if she's not perfect. I'm sad I never had the pleasure of seeing her skate live.
* Kinda sad to know that out of the top 5 that Sasha was the only one of the group to never win an Olympic or World championship. But it's kinda cool to know the class of 2003's top 5 was so accomplished: All of them medaled at the Olympics and Worlds at some point and all but Sasha won at least one championship.
* I miss 6.0 step sequences. They were so effective.
* Julia Sebaystian's lutz is bomb.

What are you watching in the off season?

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
At the moment, lots of videos of Ice Dancer Maria Milyukova from when she was a 6 year old doing Singles.

The reason being that I adopted her new partner a few years ago when he was doing Singles, and I am now updating his Fan Fest to include his Ice Dance partners (he's only going into his second season competing in Ice Dance, and is already onto his second partner! :drama: )

Needless to say, I have now reached the videos stage. But I am getting very frustrated because the person that uploaded most of her videos didn't include full details of what exactly it is we are watching. So, I am having to actually watch the videos for clues as to what the competition may be that she is competing in.

:hpull:

I have never felt comfortable watching children that young. So it is annoying me that I am having to now just because some guy didn't label his videos properly. :mad:

And if uploader is who I think he is (a former Pairs skater), he should know better!

Sorry. I just had to get that off my chest.

CaroLiza_fan

synteis

Medalist
I've gone back through and watched the GP segments + GPF + Euros + 4CC + Worlds starting with last year and going back. Watching the last group or two groups. I started with just GPF which took me until 2006 and then I started again but going deeper. There were a number of Japanese ladies outside of Mao that I had never paid attention to that it was a pleasure to see have flashes of brilliance. Watching someone like Joanie Rochette come out of nowhere the year before the Olympics, the full struggle of Yulia post-Olympics (and her incredible spins). More generally the struggle of the Russian ladies to win the GPF and then Tukt did and suddenly Med was dominating. Elena Radionova's poor timing and inability to eclipse Med was hard to watch especially as she started to struggle. Anna came onto the scene with so much potential but all those falls and then finally seemed to achieve consistency which only makes last season so much harder to see. It's been great!

With the men I have only gotten to the GPFs and only since Sochi.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I will say one thing..ABC sure loved the dramatic sets! Ice sculptures! Carved wood pieces! NBC is so tame in comparison. :laugh:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I was watching the 2011 GPF the other day! Started with Ladies, planning on moving on to Pairs or Men next.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
I've been slowly going backwards in time on the youtube channels while I try to work on the other screen. I'm back through the 2016 GPF so far, but it's not great for my work productivity ... I'm always getting distracted by the figure skating, and whatever I'm trying to do takes four times as long as it should :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Cain and Timothy Leduc 2018 nationals FS Great Gatsby
Aljona and Bruno 2018 Worlds La Terre Vue du Ciel
Ashley Wagner La La Land, 2016 Worlds Moulin Rouge, and HHCC
Javier Fernandez 2016 Worlds Guys and Dolls
Adam Rippon 2016 Worlds Beatles Medley "Blackbird"
Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron 2016 Worlds "To Build a Home"

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i have done a Patrick pilgrimage for his retirement... I have watched A LOT of Patrick.... even fluff pieces... many are so good. He has a great sense of humour, he is genuine, generous and passionate. Of course, the skating was fabulous too. I loved when they had 2 step sequences to do. Patrick was clearly already the master of footwork even in his teenage years. It is also interesting to see how he came from Lori Nichol warhorses with elaborate costumes to more and more body movement/dance approach, with sleeker and sleeker modern apparel. Patrick will be missed but we are lucky to have a lot to watch, since he did create a lot of new programs year after year.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I’ve watched every single one of Alina’s performances I can find on YouTube.
I also have watched most of the ladies that compete now’s performances over the last year or two, including juniors, and the other weekend I watched the entire Men’s FS group from Milan 2018 Worlds and was shook at what really happened (I didn’t watch it at the time because time differences) I think when I get more time I might try and watch as many competitions as far back as I can lol

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I've been slowly going backwards in time on the youtube channels while I try to work on the other screen. I'm back through the 2016 GPF so far, but it's not great for my work productivity ... I'm always getting distracted by the figure skating, and whatever I'm trying to do takes four times as long as it should :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Exactly me too [emoji23] last night I was trying to study for a geography exam that I had this morning and was planning to start at 6pm, but it ended up more like 7 or 8 because I kept on watching FS videos...[emoji51]

franzkatka

On the Ice
Just rewatched Boston, one of the best senior ladies worlds in recent years imo. I miss Mao and Pogo :(

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'm not rewatching, but catching up on events I didn't get to watch at the time. This weekend I watched all the men's short programs from Junior Worlds on Ice Network, before it goes away.

noskates

Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan's East of Eden - as a competitive program and when she did it as an exhibition. There is so much feeling in her presentation and the music is just beautiful. Also, and this goes back so far I only have it on a VHS tape, Kurt Browning's exhibition to Bring Him Home from Les Mis. It really was the first time I saw Kurt emoting to music. Of course he ended it up with the cheeseburger song from Lyle Lovett. Bwahahah.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Most things Osmond related here, especially now that she is taking the GP season off. I have enjoyed and relish every one of these and what a ride it has been!

1. ' Whada'....a 16 year stuns all at Canadian Nationals, after this sp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6He7VoOye8

2. X's 2. Again at 16, winning her first senior international event to Carmen at Nebelhorn, besting the eventual OG medalist, Sotnikova, in the process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwfKjMf00P8

3. The Brits called it first so some say, only behind me ;). Check out the comments at the 5:40ish mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k24XVTVSxks

4. After 2 years of injury & recovery, she came back to become the best female jumper in the world, according to Ryan Bradley at the GP Final event, and as I remember it, there was even a thread on GS, as a few were SHOCKED at this revelation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1U1Q9dJIII

5. ''Never in million years, at the start of this season, would I have predicted...'', said Johnny Weir at these Worlds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwZXW-O0dg

6. Olympic excellence, thy name is Osmond. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtA8QVZgT1I

7. Finally, the icing on the cake, or to honour the best Swan of the season! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU5WTkLi3ms

Enjoy!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've watched La Terre vue du Ciel by S/M for every day now since World's. I vary between GPF, OG and Words versions with the last two the most. In between I often watch Lighthouse (last year's programme) but also Yagudin's Winter SP and Alexander Abts SP from 2002 with the Armenian folk dances theme. Dimitriev's and Mishkutenok's (Sorry if I spelt this wrong) 1994 OG long is also a big favourite, as are Rudy Galindo's Swan Lake from 1996 and Elvis Stojko's 1995 Long with the music from Conquest of Paradise. Philippe Candeloro's musketeers is another favourite I watch often as well as Irina's Wonderland (2005). And of course Torville and Deans Paso Double Original Dance. What a mix!

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
I've watched La Terre vue du Ciel by S/M for every day now since World's. I vary between GPF, OG and Words versions with the last two the most. In between I often watch Lighthouse (last year's programme) but also Yagudin's Winter SP and Alexander Abts SP from 2002 with the Armenian folk dances theme. Dimitriev's and Mishkutenok's (Sorry if I spelt this wrong) 1994 OG long is also a big favourite, as are Rudy Galindo's Swan Lake from 1996 and Elvis Stojko's 1995 Long with the music from Conquest of Paradise. Philippe Candeloro's musketeers is another favourite I watch often as well as Irina's Wonderland (2005). And of course Torville and Deans Paso Double Original Dance. What a mix!

I too watch S/M’s programmes from this season, I believe world’s are my favourite, just so much freedom and expression in their short programme. I love it.

Also ADORE Hubbell/Donohue’s Free Dance, World’s and Nationals are my fave by far.
Although it makes me sick to my stomach to know that they had their bronze/bronzes given twice to the shibs and their absolute absence of...literally any adult emotion :( (although I suppose it has been a Learning Experience for me, now I can join in with the haters when they decry “juniorish” programmes - nice to now be an expert lol).

Which sucks also as it makes it so very hard to watch :( hard to enjoy something knowing a bad outcome is on the way!
Like, Yeah, Zach fell, but honestly, that level of connection, maturity and chemistry...it just encapsulates dance for me, a former dancer. And national champs not being in team event??
Oh well, good things often come to those who have to fight through hard times...another reason to re-watch Aljona - she is proof of what perseverance can do :)

Also watching, when able, Lu Chen’s bronze in Nagano. That was probably the skate of the night for me. Many times her music is missing though.
Also from ‘98, Surya Bonaly and that backflip!

Jason Brown - Riverdance in ‘14 Nationals and Adam Rippon’s SP when he had the sleeveless top, so much sass!

And finally I am loving CBC’s World Championship coverage of pair events, they seem back in the 90’s in terms of fluff etc - and I love it! :)

Big Deal

Final Flight
I am watching Virtue/Moir Olympic free and Savchenko/Massot both Olympic and World free.
Both programs are for ages representing the pure meaning of figure skating in a great oldfashioned artistic way combining it with the highest modern technical levels.
JUST GREAT!