What's after LTS adult basics? | Golden Skate

What's after LTS adult basics?

moocy

Spectator
Hello all! New here, I've been stalking longer than I've joined here. I had a question for any adult skaters out there:

What do I do after Ive gotten through all the LTS levels? I skated once during the winter at the park for fun when I was in my early 20's and decided to skate more since I need a sport to do nowadays. I just had an evaluation for adult 1 and the teacher wanted to bump me from adult 1 to adult 5. Skipping everything in the middle [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33] I declined and said I would skip ONE level, not 4 levels, that's crazy (is that even allowed?)

Since I am progressing so fast and there are only 6 levels of basics, what do I do after this? Are there adults pre-free classes? Am I better off doing private lessons? Where do I go? What do I do?

Thank you for your input!

jf12

Final Flight
I would suggest taking the group freestyle class based on the LTS freestyle curriculum. Some rinks don’t offer it, some rinks have it for all ages, some rinks have enough to break it out for adults and kids. If your rink offers it i would take it concurrently with private lessons.

Girlbird

On the Ice
Some clubs/rinks offer adult freestyle group classes - a lot of rinks with a LTS program will have an "academy" or "rising stars" (both names I have heard) style track for skaters who have moved up beyond the basics - smaller class sizes, freestyle levels - to help prepare them to do private lessons and test and compete. If there is no adult class, you can always try to find other adult skaters who are in a similar level to you (say, your fellow LTS adults who are ready to move up beyond the basics) and see if there is interest. If there is enough interest, you can pressure your rink to start one. As long as there is ice time available at a time that works for your group and a coach willing to teach, the club has no reason to say no, as it would be financially prudent for them to do so - ice rinks and skating clubs are very expensive to maintain.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Freestyle group lessons are all-ages at most or all of the rinks around here. Private lessons are always an option for any level (at least here).

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Freestyle group lessons are all-ages at most or all of the rinks around here. Private lessons are always an option for any level (at least here).

Yes. Same at my rink.

moocy - if an instructor or skating director evaluated you and went through the Learn to Skate skills from Adult 1 - 4 and said you could skip to 5, I'd say skip to 5. It's is okay. Otherwise, you may get frustrated dialing back so far. I passed a girl from Basic 1 to Basic 3 and she is now going to 4.

One you pass Adult 6 you can start Pre-freeskate series (if that is your interest) which will likely have skaters of all ages included in each class.

You can supplement with private lessons too. And you may also want to begin Moves in the Field.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Check to see what bridge programs your rink has. You can start to consider joining a local skating club to access support and testing, as well as their coaching resources. Since it's summer, you could take a camp if offered, too!

Arwen17

Final Flight
Our rink used to do group freestyle classes a long time ago, but now they just do them on and off as interest increases/wanes. Everyone goes into private lessons once they graduate from the LTS program, so really the freestyle classes are just extra supplemental instruction on top of the private lessons everyone already receives.

You can take private lessons at any level, even during LTS levels. But after you graduate from LTS, the only real place you can go is private lessons. You'll never learn well from group classes only, once you get to freestyle levels. Group classes are usually supplemental to private lessons. It is very common among our girls to do a "group" private lesson where you share the lesson with 1 or 2 other people and that can make the cost cheaper, but you get less individual attention. And the coach is usually more willing to setup a group private lesson with skaters of the same skill level or working on the same skills.

I have 1 private lesson for MIF and 1 private lesson for jumps/spins. I was doing a "group" private lesson for just axel and double jumps for awhile before that group lesson got canceled. Basically, our coach wanted to do a group lesson for awhile because she had several students ready to start learning axel and beginning doubles and it was just easier to teach it to everyone at the same time. Once taught, then we could go back to our individual lessons since each skater makes progress on axel and double jumps at different rates with different issues.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
The "adult 1" type of levels are tested at your rink, by your rink staff. If the skating school director feels you can jump right into level 5, you can - and it's okay to do so. It's once you move out of these LTS levels, into things like "pre-bronze", that the testing system is more formalized.

moocy

Spectator
Thank you everyone for your input! I guess I still have a bit of time before I need to figure out what to do and see what my options are, but I guess my best bet is just to ask the rink. :)