Figure Skater Condeleeza Rice | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Figure Skater Condeleeza Rice

S

SkateFan4Life

John King said:
A few trivia matters:Her parents had homeschooled her through Kindergarten,result of which,she skipped through Grade 1(and would skip though another grade later).There is a picture of her as a 13 year old in the current People magazine doing pairs skating with a white partner.That was quite daring back in 1967!

Definitely. Where was Condoleeza skating during this time? Was she still living in the Deep South? If she was - and she skatec with a white boy - that could have caused quite a stir back in the 1960s.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
John King said:
A few trivia matters:Her parents had homeschooled her through Kindergarten,result of which,she skipped through Grade 1(and would skip though another grade later).
This would be next to impossible today -- most school districts no longer allow grade skipping.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
Definitely. Where was Condoleeza skating during this time? Was she still living in the Deep South? If she was - and she skatec with a white boy - that could have caused quite a stir back in the 1960s.

Had she continued skating, certainly her and Tai Babilonia would've been the first two women of African-American descent to rise to the top in US Figure skating (Tai in pairs, and Condi in dance). Condi would've probably gone to the Lake Placid games...or maybe even competed with Torvill and Dean in 1984 (Jayne is only 48)

S

SkateFan4Life

thisthingcalledlove said:
Had she continued skating, certainly her and Tai Babilonia would've been the first two women of African-American descent to rise to the top in US Figure skating (Tai in pairs, and Condi in dance). Condi would've probably gone to the Lake Placid games...or maybe even competed with Torvill and Dean in 1984 (Jayne is only 48)

Not to nitpick, but Tai Babilonia is half African-American and half Philipino. When she was competing, the Philipino heritage was mentioned, as "Tai" means "tranquil and beautiful" in the Philippine language, but I never heard anyone mention or write about her African-American heritage.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
but I never heard anyone mention or write about her African-American heritage.
In her book "Forever Two As One" she talks about her heritage and family. She mentions that her mother is black and her father is Filipino and half Hopi Indian.

S

SkateFan4Life

dlkksk8fan said:
In her book "Forever Two As One" she talks about her heritage and family. She mentions that her mother is black and her father is Filipino and half Hopi Indian.

Thanks for the correction!

S

SkateFan4Life

LarasB said:
SkateFan4Life

I'm a member of the Presidential Prayer team too. :) :)

Wonderful! Not to get off topic, but I believe the US (and the entire world, for that matter), needs all the prayer it can get these days. These are perilous times, to put it mildly.

Oreo

On the Ice
The December 6th issue of People Magazine (not sure of the date but it's the one with Kirstie Alley on the cover) has a picture of Condoleeza Rice in her figure skates.

reverie81

Rinkside
Wow!
I think no matter what your political leanings are, you have to respect that list of accomplishments. Excelling at so many disciplines is quite an accomplishment today, imagine how difficult it must have been as an African American girl back in the 60s and 70s, when sports like tennis and figure skating were pretty white-washed?

I'd be curious to hear her talk about skating with a white partner in the 60s- that was a heated time. It would have never been dreamed of just a few years before she skated with him.

I'll have to check out that people magazine!

S

SkateFan4Life

Oreo said:
The December 6th issue of People Magazine (not sure of the date but it's the one with Kirstie Alley on the cover) has a picture of Condoleeza Rice in her figure skates.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll definitely purchase a copy of that issue! đź‘Ť

S

SkateFan4Life

I saw the issue of "People" magazine that printed a cover story on Condi Rice. It showed a black and white photo of her and her white partner, taken in 1967. They were an ice dance team, and it appeared they were stroking with the Kilian hold. She's still avidly into physical fitness, as she gets up a 4:45 a.m. and works out on her home treadmill before arriving at her desk in the White House at 6:30 a.m.

You go, girl! đź‘Ť