Advice for those skaters moving to Canada | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Advice for those skaters moving to Canada

Scrufflet

Final Flight
This forum and bagged milk. :laugh2: Four pages and like 85% of the posts are about bagged milk. Do we realllly need to have a third thread for this? :laugh:

Ah well, it could be worse! Med coming is such a huge event that we need something to talk about. I think I've heard enough about bagged milk though. For the record though, I drink milk from cartons and have found a brabd of kefir that I like. I live very close to the Cricket Club and am quite willing to give her a guided tour of food in the area. Toronto is a fabulous city for foodies!:)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Beyond the Ukrainian and Russian communities, buckwheat is a traditional flour in Quebec.

Superlarge pancakes in the style of Brittany count as Quebecois comfort food.

So there are domestic growers and heritage mills.

On the milk question, UHT long life milk tastes closer to what is sold in Russia as "baby milk" which is processed to a different regulatory standard. Bet Zhenya will drink the fresh bagged milk in Canada not the UHT stuff. [emoji39]

More sensibly, taking a week to check out whether the proposed living arrangement with a family will work for Zhenya, and scoping out shopping and services make sense.

When I went to grad school in another country, my family put up the expense for a one week advance trip to get thinks sorted even though I would be arriving for good a month later.

actually, these are called ployes and are from the Madawaska region... which comprised northwest New Brunswick and a tiny part of Maine. So very close to the Quebec border but it's not quite a Quebec tradition. Madawaska region is an interesting case... they are not Acadians, they were isolated for so long as there were no highways going there.... people had to go all the way to Gaspésie and come back from there.... until a highway was built. Their French is interesting to say the least but it isn't due to a mixture of English and French like many Acadians do, but more of using very old expressions and idioms from no longer spoken French... my favourite Il neige (or il pleut) à plein. Which means: there is a lot of snow falling.... or it's snowing a lot.... the à plein here stands for à plein ciel, which means, sky full. So literally, it snows sky full... there are beautiful expressions like that in the languages of the Brayons

Of course, this is off topic. but one famous skater from Edmundston, which I believe is the "biggest" town of this region is Shawn Sawyer....

tothepointe

On the Ice
Perhaps Zhenya, Jason and Boyang (if he does milk) need to step up and experience this unique Canadian cultural icon before it vanishes...

After all didn't 5 of the G7 countries just agree to getting rid of single use plastics...

But I've got to say that at the rate our family vacuums through fluid milk, stacking the 4 litre multibags is the only way there is room in the fridge to get through a few days at a time. Maybe we'll need another fridge sooner than hoped. Or the reinstitution of daily milk delivery.

On the other hand Zhenya will have other challenges such as not being able to find 2 litre jars of mayonnaise in the dairy case. Canadians love real mayo, but no one tops Russians on that front.

Forget mayo. Lack of Dill: Insufficient to bodies requirements is going to be the main problem.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall...ll-addiction?utm_term=.ls4OKV1eRe#.ssN6BlmxDx

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I can't believe it: I checked the thread expecting many things but milk and pancakes discussion wasn't one of them.

I hope Evgenia will publish some pictures of Toronto

tothepointe

On the Ice
I think it's partially true. A friend of mine that lived in Moscow bitterly complained that Dill gets put on everything.

moriel

Record Breaker
I dont think russian food will be a major issue.
First of all, most products or ingredients or similar stuff are very likely to be easily available even in local supermarkets.
Second, Evgenia will travel a lot, which makes visiting Russia quite easy. So if there is something that she misses, she can just bring a full suitcase of it and feast.

moriel

Record Breaker
I think it's partially true. A friend of mine that lived in Moscow bitterly complained that Dill gets put on everything.

Offtopic
Yep, we put dill everywhere <3
Dill is awesome hehe. But it is not a big deal because you can just grow it if its not available in stores.

But buckwheat is a major issue outside russia. Somehow it tends to be both expensive and of really bad quality (the grains all broken, or lots of green grains). Russians traditionally cook it like rice, so broken grains or buckwheat flour are pretty meh.
I dunno what is the satanic magic behind it, but so far i didn't find non russian buckwheat of good quality.
(Every time i travel to russia, i bring like 10-15kg of buckwheat with me. Since I always land at the same airport, and since they have quite a though control for grain, I am already friend with the customs people)

UPD on buckwheat: integral rice is a decent replacement. The taste is not the same, ofc, but its reasonably close both in taste and texture, and is sold everywhere.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
she won't have issues finding dill... i love it too and i put it everywhere...

the buckwheat for the pancakes I referred too is different from Russian buckwheat completely : it's buckwheat flour... not grains.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I can't believe it: I checked the thread expecting many things but milk and pancakes discussion wasn't one of them.

I hope Evgenia will publish some pictures of Toronto

if you want stories from Zhenya, check her instagram... she is quite active.

As far we this forum is concerned : we had how many threads about her so far? She even has her own season thread in the edge somewhere... then a Orser thread... it's everywhere... so it's bound to happen... the more threads, the less new information.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Forget mayo. Lack of Dill: Insufficient to bodies requirements is going to be the main problem.

And also parsley. It's so popular that Russian Minister of Health tried to ban parsley as a narcotic, but mass discontent made him give up.

As far we this forum is concerned : we had how many threads about her so far? She even has her own season thread in the edge somewhere... then a Orser thread... it's everywhere... so it's bound to happen... the more threads, the less new information.

Come on, you can't just make a thread about buckwheat and bagged milk, Zhenya isn't the worst excuse for it.

synteis

Medalist
Offtopic
Dill is awesome hehe. But it is not a big deal because you can just grow it if its not available in stores.

But buckwheat is a major issue outside russia. Somehow it tends to be both expensive and of really bad quality (the grains all broken, or lots of green grains). Russians traditionally cook it like rice, so broken grains or buckwheat flour are pretty meh.
I dunno what is the satanic magic behind it, but so far i didn't find non russian buckwheat of good quality.
(Every time i travel to russia, i bring like 10-15kg of buckwheat with me. Since I always land at the same airport, and since they have quite a though control for grain, I am already friend with the customs people)

UPD on buckwheat: integral rice is a decent replacement. The taste is not the same, ofc, but its reasonably close both in taste and texture, and is sold everywhere.
Apparently here Bulk Barn sells the roasted kind as well as the American Bob's Red Mill and a local company called Inari though I don't know if they'd meet your quality threshold. My former boyfriend was Ukrainian and he always had it around so I think it's fairly accessible though not present in like every corner store.

moriel

Record Breaker
she won't have issues finding dill... i love it too and i put it everywhere...

the buckwheat for the pancakes I referred too is different from Russian buckwheat completely : it's buckwheat flour... not grains.

But tbh i dont think there will be any food issues for her, even if she is really into some very russian specific foods.
She will travel to russia 2-3 times a year at least: test skates, nationals, and some random competition possibly. This means she can eat whatever she wants there, and bring with her any products she may miss and that she cannot get in Canada.

Stuff like buckwheat lasts for a long time, so you can just bring tons and eat whenever you want.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
And also parsley. It's so popular that Russian Minister of Health tried to ban parsley as a narcotic, but mass discontent made him give up.

Come on, you can't just make a thread about buckwheat and bagged milk, Zhenya isn't the worst excuse for it.

lol... i certainly didn't start this topic... a moderator did ;)

i think it's refreshing to have a thread that discusses Zhenya in a light hearted way, she is a young girl moving to a new country... and people are just elaborating on how diet can be different etc...

for once there is no backloading, flutzes and technique comments... I am all for that... these skaters are humans :) not just jumping machines

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
In Brazil we don’t only have bagged milk but bagged yogurt too. I drank it my whole life until I developed lactose intolerance during my early teenage years. :dbana:

On topic: good luck Zhenya.

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not sure professional skaters eat mayonnaise at all, but she's really going to miss buckwheat and rye bread.

Here in Russia, bagged milk is usually cheap local one, which may be more healthy, but not pasteurized well enough to survive a week outside a refrigerator.
We have rye bread in America; I'm sure they have it in Canada, both dark and light varieties.

Parsley is abundant here. It is commonly used as a garnish in inexpensive restaurants, and you can buy fresh bundles of it in any grocery store. I'm sure it's the same in Canada. If not, she can come to America for a visit, and we'll let her loot our parsley reserves.

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
I love this offseason. We shall see if the Canadian bagged milk affects Medvedeva's bones and therefore her international results. Who knows, maybe the milk will cure her flutz :laugh:

liv

Record Breaker
Yes, we have rye bread here in Ontario. You can get some not so good stuff in grocery stores, but I get it from a local bakery owned by a German baker.... it is real rye bread and yummy (my eastern european roots coming through).

When i was in Russia I had kefir and it was awful, probably because it was something we certainly didn't have in Canada at the time (early 90s) so my mind probably balked more than my taste buds... but now we do have it and I actually like it... and there's no fruit in it.

And you can drop bagged milk and it doesn't explode... cartons however...

TGee

Record Breaker
Offtopic

Really one doesn't need to bring buckwheat back. (And my luggage weight is usually at the max with books and other hard to get things....)

Les Moissonneries du Pays has several varieties raw, hulled or milled, including usable buckwheat to make an acceptable kasha or flour to make blini. (The "green one" is not it.). They even have bulk size bags.

https://alimentstrigone.com/collections/sarrasin-noir-biologique

By the way, what's not to like about dill? Maybe Zhenya will be discover a new favourite in that Canadian speciality: dill pickle potato chips.

I do draw the line at dill on sushi though...but I found Russian sushi pizza the much more disturbing innovation.