Volunteering experience | Golden Skate

Volunteering experience

Vinyame

Rinkside
Has anyone ever been a volunteer at Worlds? Can you share your experience?
I'm thinking about next Junior Worlds, but I'll appreciate info about other events as well. I've read a thread about volunteering at Worlds in Milan, but no one posted anything about how it went.
If we get our schedule and they want us to be there for a week, but it turns out we can stay only for 5 days, do we have to resign?
What about watching the competition, is it possible?

TwistedTwizzles

Spectator
Hi! I recently signed up for 4CC 2019 in California. It's my first time too and I'm still waiting for confirmation that I have been chosen as a volunteer. Hopefully I will be able to share my experience with you (if I actually get to be involved!)

macy

Record Breaker
I would LOVE to volunteer at a bigger event...I tried to get info for volunteering at a past US nationals but never heard back after several attempts. i just sent an email on the 2019 website regarding so hopefully i hear something since it's so close to me this year. Being an ice monitor for senior events would be a dream :love:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I would LOVE to volunteer at a bigger event...I tried to get info for volunteering at a past US nationals but never heard back after several attempts. i just sent an email on the 2019 website regarding so hopefully i hear something since it's so close to me this year. Being an ice monitor for senior events would be a dream :love:

FYI, per an e-mail from USFS:

Volunteer Registration Now Open
Calling all volunteers for two of the biggest figure skating competitions of the season!

2019 U.S. Figure Skating Championships | Detroit, MI | Jan. 18-27, 2019
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2019 | Anaheim, CA | Feb. 7-10

All volunteer opportunities are managed through U.S. Figure Skating’s Event Management System (EMS). Please note, this is a two-step approval process (volunteer request and shift request). Both steps will be managed on a rolling basis by U.S. Figure Skating.
Using Google Chrome, log in to Members Only – www.usfsaonline.org
If you are not a member of U.S. Figure Skating, click “Non-Member? Create Account”
Once logged in, click the blue EMS button and then VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES (from the left-hand menu)
Find the competition name and click VOLUNTEER NOW!

Volunteers make a substantial and positive impact and we truly appreciate your enthusiasm to support our events!
If you have questions, email [email protected].

(FWIW, the site works fine for me with Microsoft Edge. But apparently some browsers work better than others.)

I received the e-mail on Sep 27.
Could have been b/c I have been a USFS volunteer in the past; could have been b/c I had signed up (ages ago) for updates on the 2019 Nats and 2019 Four Continents websites; or could have been for a reason that is not obvious to me.

macy

Record Breaker
FYI, per an e-mail from USFS:

(FWIW, the site works fine for me with Microsoft Edge. But apparently some browsers work better than others.)

I received the e-mail on Sep 27.
Could have been b/c I have been a USFS volunteer in the past; could have been b/c I had signed up (ages ago) for updates on the 2019 Nats and 2019 Four Continents websites; or could have been for a reason that is not obvious to me.

thank you SOOO much for this! just submitted an application.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Has anyone ever been a volunteer at Worlds? Can you share your experience?
I'm thinking about next Junior Worlds, but I'll appreciate info about other events as well. I've read a thread about volunteering at Worlds in Milan, but no one posted anything about how it went.
If we get our schedule and they want us to be there for a week, but it turns out we can stay only for 5 days, do we have to resign?
What about watching the competition, is it possible?

In response to your original post last July, hope this note isn't too late to help..

I volunteered for Worlds 2016 in Boston and it was a really great experience!!
The administrators required a minimum commitment of 5 six hour sessions and let you choose from sessions available on a spreadsheet; the earlier you signed up the better your chances of getting the time slots that worked best for you though the administrators would contact you to make changes, move you around, if needed. I had constraints due to obligations at home but was able to work more than the minimum requirement. Half of my time was spent at the Official Hotel where skaters, coaches, choreographers, judges stayed, the other half was at the Boston Garden venue where I was able to view competitions during off times, lunches, breaks, arriving earlier or staying later than my shift. The jumbotron was constantly televised throughout work areas so volunteers could watch the action on ice on screen at all time... all volunteer stations were centered seconds away from the ice so during slow moments the volunteers took turns going rinkside to catch a glimpse of their favorites in action. An added bonus was one free meal allowed for volunteers only during each shift, nicely catered, served at the top of the arena in the round, looking down on the ice. I watched Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner practice from that vantagepoint, observed Jackie Wong tapping away at his keyboard with his lunch spread out beside him. From that height the skater were small indeed but the jumbo screen center ice gave a larger-than-life view of ice action at any time.. it was wonderful!! My shifts at the hotel were great too... no skating but I saw/met international skating personalities constantly, Mao, Gracie, Frank Carroll, Yuaru, Boyang Jin, Javier Fernandez, Max Aaron, Russian pairs, Ashley Wagner, Madison Chock/Evan Bates, Alyssa Ciszney, Carmelengo are just a few, some just waved in passing, some actually stopped to chat!! I will say too that being GS member helped alot with questions the public may ask you.. I remember two ladies came to me asking if I knew the music one very famous pairs team skated.. I was able to share that by checking in the Programs By Discipline thread in the " Edge" ...
Good luck with your experience. I will never forget mine..

macy

Record Breaker
In response to your original post last July, hope this note isn't too late to help..

I volunteered for Worlds 2016 in Boston and it was a really great experience!!
The administrators required a minimum commitment of 5 six hour sessions and let you choose from sessions available on a spreadsheet; the earlier you signed up the better your chances of getting the time slots that worked best for you though the administrators would contact you to make changes, move you around, if needed. I had constraints due to obligations at home but was able to work more than the minimum requirement. Half of my time was spent at the Official Hotel where skaters, coaches, choreographers, judges stayed, the other half was at the Boston Garden venue where I was able to view competitions during off times, lunches, breaks, arriving earlier or staying later than my shift. The jumbotron was constantly televised throughout work areas so volunteers could watch the action on ice on screen at all time... all volunteer stations were centered seconds away from the ice so during slow moments the volunteers took turns going rinkside to catch a glimpse of their favorites in action. An added bonus was one free meal allowed for volunteers only during each shift, nicely catered, served at the top of the arena in the round, looking down on the ice. I watched Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner practice from that vantagepoint, observed Jackie Wong tapping away at his keyboard with his lunch spread out beside him. From that height the skater were small indeed but the jumbo screen center ice gave a larger-than-life view of ice action at any time.. it was wonderful!! My shifts at the hotel were great too... no skating but I saw/met international skating personalities constantly, Mao, Gracie, Frank Carroll, Yuaru, Boyang Jin, Javier Fernandez, Max Aaron, Russian pairs, Ashley Wagner, Madison Chock/Evan Bates, Alyssa Ciszney, Carmelengo are just a few, some just waved in passing, some actually stopped to chat!! I will say too that being GS member helped alot with questions the public may ask you.. I remember two ladies came to me asking if I knew the music one very famous pairs team skated.. I was able to share that by checking in the Programs By Discipline thread in the " Edge" ...
Good luck with your experience. I will never forget mine..

wow what an experience. what kind of volunteer work were you doing? being an ice monitor would be the ultimate treat at an event like that :love:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
wow what an experience. what kind of volunteer work were you doing? being an ice monitor would be the ultimate treat at an event like that :love:

Would have loved ice monitoring but my time slots were limited due to personal constraints. Ice monitors at the Boston event were chosen from the local skating community ... I lived in NH at the time and commuted to the event each day so not an option... I was a transportation advisor and city guide since I was familiar with the Boston area public transport system, dining venues, museums, and other attractions.. being bilingual, conversant in two or more languages was a help! We received certificates at the end of the event, free tickets to activities not open to the public and a black insulated zip vest with the World's 2016 logo on it which we wore during each shift and identified us as volunteers. I still have mine and wear it proudly. There were restrictions; example.. we were not allowed to approach skaters or their team members for photos, audographs, etc (we were there for their security, safety, comfort, etc) .. but I found they often came to speak to me.. Once at the hotel I spotted Madison and Evan coming thru the revolving door headed toward the escalator. Being a huge fan, I could not resist taking a step or two in their direction, giving them a huge smile :biggrin: Madison gave me a big grin back and waved!! The best memory I posted on this forum and will repeat it here: I was at the Garden and our table was the "go to" for starting order sheets just before the FS men's event.. we were swamped (especially since Yuzaru was competing :drama:.). I was handing out sheets fast.. one guy, big, football size, came up to me wearing a head band with Winnie-the-Pooh ears tucked in his black curls; I said: you wouldn't be a Yuzaru fan by any chance? " without breaking stride he said "Drat! And I thought I was incognito"!! LOL!!