U.S. Coverage - Trophee Eric Bompard | Golden Skate

U.S. Coverage - Trophee Eric Bompard

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
TV Schedule
Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire
Nov. 29, 2004, 9 p.m.- 12 a.m. Eastern

The fifth ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event of the season, Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire, will air Nov. 29 on ESPN. Don't miss coverage of some of your favorite skaters, including Johnny Weir, Brian Joubert and Amber Corwin. Coverage begins at 9 p.m. and runs through midnight (Eastern time). Check your local listings.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Well, What did you guys think???

I was suprised that we actually got to see Johnny Weir's short program.

Also, It was nice to see Totmianina and Marinin. Peter did a great job with the short interview.

P.S. By the way, was anybody freaked out by the way Oleg Vassiliev kept staring at Fumie Suguri in the kiss-and-cry???

SailorGalaxia518 said:

Also, It was nice to see Totmianina and Marinin. Peter did a great job with the short interview.

P.S. By the way, was anybody freaked out by the way Oleg Vassiliev kept staring at Fumie Suguri in the kiss-and-cry???
I agree that it was great to see Weir's SP and would like to see more from other skaters.

Also agree that Peter did a good job with interiewing T/M. I hope they skate well at COR.

And yes, I was freaked out by the way Oleg Vassiliev kept staring at Fumie Suguri in the kiss-and-cry. This kind of inconsistency is typical for Fumie. She'll hit everything one competition and only hit a couple of triples the next, so it's nothing new. Plus, NOW she has to contend with trying to please a coach whose jumping technique is entirely different than what she's been taught all her life. I felt so bad for Fumie. I know figure skating coaches aren't there to be Mr. Nice Guy, but neither are they there to be just plain mean.

I'd be surprised if Fumie stayed with Vassiliev after this season, unless her skating gets amazingly consistent because of him, which I doubt. There are plenty of other places with great facilities and great coaches more suited to Fumie in the US where Lea Ann Miller can work with her. She doesn't need the Phantom of the Skating Rink drilling his gaze at her when she knows how she did.

For some skaters, Vassiliev's style works, obviously; but I think Fumie is a delicate soul, not one who responds well to radioactive stare-downs.:eek:
Rgirl

Johnny's short program was top drawer. He did not need a quad for that one. His jumping technique is smooth as silk. Any feminine girl skater who could skate like him would be only in her dreams. Except for the few flubs, his LP was first rate.

Sandhu has to be one of the top skaters ever but sadly, not often. There are coaches for spins, jumps, footwork, etc. Is there any coach for 'consistency'?

I actually enjoyed Brian's LP. He skated with his body for a change. his quads are first rate. A little toe raking footwork is fine but too much is saying I can't edge. His costume is distracting for me. I don't think he needs to show the sails. Is he the Pinta or the Nina? A brown jump suit would serve just as well. But a well deserved LP win.

Joannie continues to be a force on the Ladies circuit. If one is going to put a character in a program, she can. What is so wonderful is that she keeps the character throughout the program. If she gets another 3x3 she will be a podium contender at Worlds.

Julia did fine. She kind of tired towards the end but on the whole a good show. It's an unusual Carmen, for a change.

Fumie is having her problems this season. A complete change of style is hurting her. She's a 7 triple lady and we are not getting that. I'm worried about the Japanese Nats.

The Pairs were fine. S&Z flubs are done with such style, they almost fade in the program. Pang and Tong are right there to pick up the reigns when S&Z decide to quit. Another year of improvements will only make them gold contenders. Petrova and Tikhonov, for me, have height problems. She barely comes up to his chest, causing him to be hunched over her every time they are together. It's like a protective father and daughter on a field trip. However, they are good together in many other ways.

The dancers did their thing. all top notch competitively. My preference this season goes to French Team, simply because I like to watch beautiful dancing without the histrionics. the Americans are looking good!!!

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Loved it...

It was not only cool to see Johnny's short program, but seeing it with NO commentary going on during the program was awesome. I had to play it back a second time thinking "what's different?" before I realized there was no commentary. I wish we could see everyone's short programs like that!!

As a follower of Rusty Hanger Awards, I had to laugh at the little clip where they featured a number of bad costumes that have already been nominated around here. Seeing Julia's SP costume with all those horrifying colored ribbons was even worse on the big screen TV than the previously posted pics.

Joubert's jumps were spectacular. But that program just doesn't do anything for me. I get the feeling he doesn't connect with it much. I sort of wonder if we might see a come back of the Matrix if they can't get the program fixed, or his connection with it fixed.

What can be said about S&Z. They define "two skating as one" for me, even though it wasn't their best performance.

I could just cry over Fumie. She is such a gorgeous skater. With her lack of consistency so far this season, I suspect they might not put her on the Japan world team even if she has the skate of her life at their nationals. Not sure how politics might play in. So sad.

DG

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I agree it's very unfortunate what's happened with Fumie. It's incredible that she was the Grand Prix Final champion a year ago and now can barely win a medal in a regular GP event--and against weak competition, too. She's just not herself. It's really too bad, because her long program this year is one of her best. Sad that she's not able to perform it well. I definitely think she should leave Vasiliev. His behavior in the kiss-and-cry was totally inappropriate. If he's like that in public, just imagine what he's like in practice. She should switch coaches *now*--and why not go to Frank Carroll? He has an open slot with Tim Goebel gone, and I think he'd be a much better match for Fumie. She is so talented, I really want to see her do well.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Like many of you, I was very impressed with Weir's SP. The power & passion were breath-taking, IMO. He's amazing! The LP was not as well done as at NHK but still marvelous. I was impressed, also, with Joannie Rochette. Her jumps were so solid & her presentation, lovely.

Lotta

On the Ice
I loved Peter Carruthers' fluff about the skaters' costume! Especially Brian Joubert's costume wondering if he was the Niña, the Pinta, or the Santa Maria. :laugh: But other than that, I'm just glad they didn't chack Amber, Orscher/Lucash, and Gregory/Petukhov.

2ndmark

Rinkside
What's the deal with Goebel withdrawing because he slept funny? If he thinks a few decent performances this fall will erase the fiasco that was his last season, he's in error. I'm a big fan, and sure... if he's really injured he shouldn't skate. But it seems like it may have been a better training exercise to skate through the sore neck than offer a lame sounding excuse for withdrawing. With Johnny hot on his heels he may want to considering putting some solid programs out there to build back his cred.

Yes, great to see Johnny's SP. Remember the good old days (like last season) when we saw ALL the shorts?? Ah... memories.

RealtorGal, :rofl: But we have to cut Joe some slack and give him his props for:

"Was he the Pinta or the Nina." :rofl:

Johnny Weir's short program music is fantastic, much better IMO than his long. Now that Weir has hit the top I think people will start examining his performances more critically. For instance, I think he could stretch out a lot of positions more. Plus, some of the choreography seems to me to be just thrown in for the sake of having something going on -- maybe he is milking the CoP -- instead of actually contributing to the totality of the program.

Mathman

Linny

Final Flight
Don't get it

Couplea things I don't get from previous posts...

Whaz so funny 'bout "top drawer"? I've heard that saying used for something of quality.

Didja really think Oleg was doing a stare down? I thought he was showing concern and getting close enough to hear and understand what Fumie was saying... not trying to pin her with his eyes. The camera really didn't show is expression, just his profile... so the commentators also may have read something in it that wasn't really there (they called it "culture clash"). The lady had fallen umpteen times. I doubt she does that during practice. Wouldn't a coach want to know hear from the skater? In all the noise and distraction of the stadium, I appreciate Oleg's focus and concern for the skater..

And Fumie's problems are certainly NOT due to the coaching and environment change. She was already fading during last season before the change. I think she shows great attack in this year's programs... just having trouble slam dunking those jumps. I wish her the best and hope she'll pull another surprise upset as some point.

Linny

I think top drawer is a snobbish way of saying "We are among the elite". First read the expression in Auntie Mame which at the time people were reading all over the place. I remember seeing a half a row of people in the subway, gigling to themselves while holding the pocket book or should I say soft cover book.

Joe

Linny, about "top drawer," I took RealtorGal's post in the sense that she was having fun with Joe for sounding like Dick Button.:)

MM

Linny

Final Flight
Buttonism

Ohhhh! "Top drawer" is a Buttonism! There's so many of them, it's hard to keep track.

Didn't you love hearing Uncle Dick's laugh when Peter replayed the amazing stretching sleeve incident?

Mathman said:
Linny, about "top drawer," I took RealtorGal's post in the sense that she was having fun with Joe for sounding like Dick Button.:)MM

that's sounds better than my believing that Realtor Girl actually didn't know the term. the joke's on me. :biggrin:

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I'VE always thought that "Top Drawer" meant....

Joesitz said:
I think top drawer is a snobbish way of saying "We are among the elite". First read the expression in Auntie Mame which at the time people were reading all over the place. I remember seeing a half a row of people in the subway, gigling to themselves while holding the pocket book or should I say soft cover book.

Joe
.....that special place where Dick keeps his underwear. And maybe his socks.

:rock:

DG

Hikaru

Final Flight
SailorGalaxia518 said:

I loved watching Johnny's short, I spent all program trying to remember where had I heard the music before, then it hit me it was Irina's short last season. It was also nice seen Tatiana and Max.

Oh man, Oleg scared me so!! I was like "run, Fumie, RUN!!!"

Hikaru

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
As a follower of Rusty Hanger Awards, I had to laugh at the little clip where they featured a number of bad costumes that have already been nominated around here. Seeing Julia's SP costume with all those horrifying colored ribbons was even worse on the big screen TV than the previously posted pics.

HA! I loved that clip. I was like "what the--" when I saw the sleeve incident. Although I'm not a huge fan of Brian's LP costume, I rather have that one than the one he wears for his short program, which surprisingly didn't make it to the clip. Julia's dressed had more bows than when I saw a picture here. Can someone who had seen Peter C. skate before tell me if he actually wore that vest when he was skating?? :rofl:

mpal2

Final Flight
Hikaru said:
I loved watching Johnny's short, I spent all program trying to remember where had I heard the music before, then it hit me it was Irina's short last season.
:laugh: I forgot that Irina skated to that last year. I kept thinking of Michelle in her early years. I'm going to have to go back and watch Irina again.