Masterpieces that Never Came To Be | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Masterpieces that Never Came To Be

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with the Boitano “Rodeo” program; a shame it was never skated perfectly, it was lovely and filled with feeling.

I would add Jason Brown’s “Inner Love” FS last year. Due to the pressures of trying to do too much too soon, it was never skated in perfect, flowing Jason style, and now for me it is associated with sad memories of Jason’s bad skate (for him) at US Nats. A pity, it was a lovely program too.....

The video link I posted also has one of my "favorite" Dick Button comments.

"These moves represent the pioneer's love of the land he sees before him."

I love Dick Button, and I love Brian Boitano.

But that commentary is a prime example of "If the program is good, it doesn't need a libretto to explain it."

I guess it proves that even in one of my favorite programs, I can still find something to gripe about.:noshake:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Mao fire dance LP. With a good tech, it could have been an unforgettable program.

She was skating to this piece in long skirts last year during her last performance for 'THE ICE', and now also in her own thanks tour. It was a treat to watch Mao skating (Live) in long skirts...she does that SO~ well (including the newest version of Madame Butterfly in the long white kimono style skirt!)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Lipnitskaya's Kill Bill for sure

Very true!! That program suit her perfectly...oh what could have been! I once made a remake of her R&J because the skating was so absolutely beautiful and I needed to see it without the struggling..but also wanted to see her skate to this masterpiece of a song. Oh what could have been :)

Lipnitskaya: Cinematic Orchestra - Arrival of the Birds

https://youtu.be/nTR5Y7KJC_Q

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Very true!! That program suit her perfectly...oh what could have been! I once made a remake of her R&J because the skating was so absolutely beautiful and I needed to see it without the struggling..but also wanted to see her skate to this masterpiece of a song. Oh what could have been :)

Lipnitskaya: Cinematic Orchestra - Arrival of the Birds

https://youtu.be/nTR5Y7KJC_Q

No disrespect towards Lipnitskaya but that piece will always be Rippon.

Macassar88

Medalist
I second that sentyment... With that renewed ownership and energy they showcased over their material, they could make something memorable and non-obvious. Speaking of Tessa and Scott, I kind of see 'Great Gig In The Sky' FD as an unfinished/not enough performed masterpiece, the idea was beyond fantastic and they gave their all at Worlds, just wish it was not a season of Tessa's health problems...

Same with their latin FD. I know they reprised it for their SD but it wasn't the same.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Satoko's Planets, while it reached her highest score and 4th highest PB from any female skater at the time of the 2016 GPF and earned her a silver, injury caused her to withdraw from the rest of the season. To me, she never quite reached her peak performance with that program.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Same with their latin FD. I know they reprised it for their SD but it wasn't the same.

Yes, thank You a lot for reminder;). It was another year when Tessa had health problems and they had only 2 competitions with this Latin-themed FD (4CC when they pulled out and Worlds), but it was a great idea that probably only they could pull off as a FD format. They had hands down the best Waltz SD that season (still my favourite to re-watch) and I was sad that there was no time and space to polish this FD...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Satoko's Planets, while it reached her highest score and 4th highest PB from any female skater at the time of the 2016 GPF and earned her a silver, injury caused her to withdraw from the rest of the season. To me, she never quite reached her peak performance with that program.

Oh, yes, X 1,000! :love:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Joshua's Pines of Rome, which by now, I think, can officially be marked on the list of lost programs.

:cry:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yuzuru Prince SP. It didn't become a masterpiece because he didn't skate it during 2 seasons.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:cry: why did you have to mention this one???? :cry:

Because everyone else was listing programs that they actually got to see, so I thought it meet that someone should post a real tragedy in this thread, not just a "oh so-and-so didn't skate this quite clean".

what the story behind this one? curious mind wants to know

Pines of Rome was scheduled to be Joshua's free skate for the 2015-2016 season. Choreographed by Jeff Buttle and set to music I had never heard before and was quite rare in skating. With its deep tones and rising crescendos I thought it the perfect next step for Josh after his perfect, incomparable Schindler's List.

But of course, we all know what happened in the summer of 2015.

And then when the comeback was announced, this program was listed again, and I thought we might finally get to see it...now I am coming to terms with the fact that he will likely never skate competitively again and we will never see it.