Memorable Commentator Reactions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Memorable Commentator Reactions

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Oops, the answer was already given later on...it was indeed what I guessed. A Lucky guess then!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Uncle" Dickie's "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!" Also the many times he has said "Good boy, good boy!"

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
"Uncle" Dickie's "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!" Also the many times he has said "Good boy, good boy!"

oh yes, when I get back to Lucinda Ruh's videos to remind myself about this spin excellence, I am always taken with this commentary!:laugh:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I still find Dick Button's observation when a skater made a mistake "And that was just unnecessary" both bizarre and funny. It's not like they meant to mess up!

Oh and "Point your toe!" Uncle Dick hates it when you don't point your toe!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
^ His commentary regarding Krylova's Carmen interpretation: ...as one newspaper said, her expressiveness will reach to the 70th row of the arena. Unfortunately there's only 30 rows in it."

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Any memorable Asian commentary that posters want to share? :)

gmyers

Record Breaker
Definitely bezic and Hamilton and sale Pelletier which causes ijs! Their extreme total love of them and their total extreme apoplectic outrage over them losing eliminated 6.0!!!! I mean what compares to reactions that would mean second gold medal and new judging system and elimination of fs popularity in North America eventually?!?!?

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Any memorable Asian commentary that posters want to share? :)

This poetic quote in the CCTV commentary on Yuzuru's valiant FS in Pyeongchang. At that time his condition of having jump practices for only three weeks and relying on painkillers wasn't yet known, but the quote for him was so apt:

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You can never defeat the storm."

The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

asiacheetah

On the Ice
My favorite!!!

I actually felt a little betrayed when I saw the BESP uncles say the same thing about Shoma in one of his senior year debut season competition. It might have been the GPF. It's okay uncles, you're still my favorite.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Adding some more:

NBC on Hanyu 2015 GPF FS: "He's taking not only himself, he's taking the sport to places that we don't really know. [..] We've just witnessed greatness. He's superior to any other male figure skater out there. [...] This is wizardry."
(Double hilarious in hindsight as the portrayed Abe no Seimei is regarded more or less as an Eastern-type equivalent of a traditional wizard, according to legends and folklore.)

Actually, I credit that NBC 2015 GPF broadcast of Seimei as the reason I became a Yuzu-fan. I had that performance saved on my DVR and would rewatch it multiple times. I had seen him in Sochi of course, but I was a 4 year (Olympic) fan. Yuzuru and that magical program changed it all.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Ted Barton (who doesn't speak during programs at JGP) gasping when Trusova did her 3Lz-3L in the SP.

Pellissier : if they skate slower, they'll start going backward.
Priceless and so true. 1993 worlds, Brasseur Eisler.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Ted Barton (who doesn't speak during programs at JGP) gasping when Trusova did her 3Lz-3L in the SP.

I love that he couldn't help himself, it was just such a gorgeous 3F-3Lo ahhh I still get chills thinking about that because Ted's never done that before or since

Midnightcass

On the Ice
One my favourites is when one of the British commentators accidentally called Yu Xiaoyu, Shen Xue during a program.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RzmPcFdmboI → 1:31

It was during Yu/Jin ’s 2015 NHL LP and she fell on the throw quad salchow.

'That's huge! Shen she went down. Think she made the rotation. That was the throw quadruple salchow' 😂😂

Globetrotter

Medalist
Most memorable for me was Irina Slutskaya’s free skate in 2005. Female commentator (Sandra Besiz?) was saying she will be starting out with a triple lutz double loop.....TRIPLE LOOP!!!

Rod Black of CTV coverage always sounds enthused when a skater is having an outstanding skate, and at the end of the competition, Rod always delivers a very heartfelt salute to all the skaters both highs and lows, it's a very emotional delivery. I always look forward to Rod's coverage.

:eek:topic: I have been under a rock from skating during the off season and now just absorbing the devastating news of Denis Ten, I needed to read a ‘light’ thread like this. (Thank you).

Back OT: I also love Rod’s end-of-competition (often rhyming) synopsis. Having said that, I am happy he has given up his questioning prediction after a good skate “Is this the NEXT ONE?” I think it was ancient peas who described Rod as [sic] an excited puppy (my apologies if it was someone else to credit or my aged cranium cells have gone sideways and am totally wrong in the phrasing); a suitable assessment but I do find his enthusiasm charming for a network commentator who wasn’t involved in the sport himself.

I see I should have been paying attention this off season...as much going on (or maybe more) than the past Olympic season. Not enough time now, but I'll try to catch up...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Scott Hamilton's reactions to Kurt Browning's disasters at the Olympics... in 1992 during the LP when Verne Lundquist asks as Kurt pops one of many jumps: "Is it over?" Scott, totally gutted: "I think it is." sticks out most in my mind, though.