Costume Violations | Golden Skate

Costume Violations

SuperSymo

Spectator
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on the forum and I'd love to hear from you all.

What are your opinions on costume violations? Do you think they are fair or problematic?

Do you have any examples of costume violations that famous skaters have had?

Do you have any funny stories about them?

I once received a costume violation because a hairpin fell out of my hair! That whole 1 point off is a killer!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
First one that comes to mind is Daisuke Takahashi recieved a 1 point deduction for a scrap of fabric falling off his costume during 2012 Nationals.
https://youtu.be/8ip2d_h2yLo?t=5m24s It was super clear and he saw it on the ground just as he hit his ending pose. :biggrin:

This was a brilliant skate for him, other than costume malfunction.

Last edited:

nocturnalis

Medalist
Elena had one at Russian Nats that sent Victoria and Nikita to Europeans. I think she had one earlier that season which lost her a Grand Prize medal.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on the forum and I'd love to hear from you all.

What are your opinions on costume violations? Do you think they are fair or problematic?

Do you have any examples of costume violations that famous skaters have had?

I once received a costume violation because a hairpin fell out of my hair! That whole 1 point off is a killer!

I think it's unfair when a skater receives a costume deduction for throwing a piece of their costume be it a tie or a hair ribbon, which is coming loose into the crowd. Because basically the reason for the deduction - as I understand - is because stuff on the ice is dangerous. But by throwing it into the crowd it's not on the ice, so...why should there be a deduction? They're all ready getting less marks (probably) because of a disruption to the choreography and such so it seems like rubbing salt in the wound!

An interesting costume violation I've seen on Youtube is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ECupWBess Alexander Fadeev probably isn't well-known to today's fans, but it does highlight the issue with tights I guess! Lovely skating, but when he's not moving it's like...yikes! (Still that British Judge was a bit of pearl clutcher :laugh:)

It's also sort of funny that Katrina's Witt's costume that started off a whole thing about suitable costumes doesn't even look all that risque these days!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Evan Lysacek got one in the 2009-10 season because his top had see through black fabric on it and the judges told him they needed him to cover up his chest. So by the nationals and olympics it had fabric added on.

ETA video: https://youtu.be/BNuCNrX1xd8

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm rather surprised that Papadakis' unfortunate wardrobe malfunction at the Olympics didn't receive a deduction although nothing fell to the ice. And it was detrimental to the rest of the program.

I often see 1 or 2 out of 10 judges flag a costume or choreographic restriction in Ice Dance, but I can't remember the rule of whether it needs to be a majority of judges flagging it before a deduction is incurred.

moriel

Record Breaker
I'm rather surprised that Papadakis' unfortunate wardrobe malfunction at the Olympics didn't receive a deduction although nothing fell to the ice. And it was detrimental to the rest of the program.

I often see 1 or 2 out of 10 judges flag a costume or choreographic restriction in Ice Dance, but I can't remember the rule of whether it needs to be a majority of judges flagging it before a deduction is incurred.

Ok first of all, "Detrimental to the rest of the program" is not a deduction, it is supposed to be marked down in PCs (which it was imho).

Now, we have 2 separate costume deductions.
1. first one is that ", the clothing of the Competitors must be modest, dignified and appropriate for athletic competition", which, if not followed, will give a -1 deduction. This was clearly not the case, since Papadakis costume was fine, by this rule, since it punishes bad costumes, not costume malfunctions.
2. "The decorations on costumes must be non-detachable. Part of the costume or decoration falling on the ice will be penalized by a deduction". Since nothing fell on ice during PC skate, I do not see how this deduction applies.

In short, there is no rule for deductions in case of a wardrobe malfunction, unless something falls on the ice, and we would be all rather surprised if PC got a deduction for what happened.

Henni147

Final Flight
In short, there is no rule for deductions in case of a wardrobe malfunction, unless something falls on the ice, and we would be all rather surprised if PC got a deduction for what happened.
The funny thing is: everyone remembers Gabi's wardrobe malfunction, but I doubt anyone still knows that Wang/Liu received a -1.00 costume deduction in the same SD :laugh:

I still wonder what happened there. Couldn't see anything falling down. Do you remember what happened? :scratch2:

synteis

Medalist
The funny thing is: everyone remembers Gabi's wardrobe malfunction, but I doubt anyone still knows that Wang/Liu received a -1.00 costume deduction in the same SD :laugh:

I still wonder what happened there. Couldn't see anything falling down. Do you remember what happened? :scratch2:
Ice dance was bad for them this Olympics, I think at least three ladies had tops which opened and partially fell down. From what I remember with Wang/Liu, they had something very similar to what happened with Papadakis/Cizeron. I wouldn't have said it was much worse than P/C but maybe she actually flashed some people? I think there's certainly precedent for Gabi's incident generating a costume deduction.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

:sad21: Was so sad to see their scores dropping on NBC live tracker from earning enough points to qualify then getting their twizzle level dropped and that deduction slapped on to close the door.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
An interesting costume violation I've seen on Youtube is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ECupWBess Alexander Fadeev probably isn't well-known to today's fans, but it does highlight the issue with tights I guess! Lovely skating, but when he's not moving it's like...yikes! (Still that British Judge was a bit of pearl clutcher :laugh:)

OMG...I couldn't stop laughing at "Ms. Riley gets in a ding over the dong in Fedeev's thong".

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I was once at a competition where the skater's whole hairdo came apart. The scrunchie popped off, then her hair net, then bobby pin after bobby pin came flying out onto the ice. I think the next skater to go picked up about 10 bobby pins before she started and everyone was very nervous that there might be more we couldn't see. The general feeling was that one point wasn't enough for the woefully unprepared skater and perhaps there should be facility for multiple costume violation deductions.

And that, folks, is why you should always test your hairstyle on the ice before a comp.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I was once at a competition where the skater's whole hairdo came apart. The scrunchie popped off, then her hair net, then bobby pin after bobby pin came flying out onto the ice. I think the next skater to go picked up about 10 bobby pins before she started and everyone was very nervous that there might be more we couldn't see. The general feeling was that one point wasn't enough for the woefully unprepared skater and perhaps there should be facility for multiple costume violation deductions.

And that, folks, is why you should always test your hairstyle on the ice before a comp.

So what happens if say they didn't manage to find all those bobby pins (the "blonde" color ones would be hard to find on the ice) and the next skater tripped and fell on one? Would they get a re-do and would there be additional deductions for the previous skater?