Paul Page drinking game | Golden Skate

Paul Page drinking game

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I still say...

...the worst was Jo-ann-ee. Or maybe I'm wrong that her name is Jo-nee. That's not even a foreign type of name (at least not to me as an American). OK, so I'm admitting I'M the idiot if I've had that one wrong for several seasons!

DG

Hi, Miss Flick. People who can speak Chinese for real can correct me, but the "Zh" in Zhang and Zhang is pronounced like a voiced "Sh," like the Z in azure, or like the "J" sound in French. The "a" is like the "a" in Father (rather like a short "o" sound in English).

What about Craig Bun-TEEN (accent on the second syllable).

(With Canadian skaters there is always the possibility that the name is French, but Craig is from Vancouver, so I don't think so. Dick Bou-TONE.)

MM.

mpal2

Final Flight
How about the number of times he mentions that someone has "clinched" or "locked" for the GP Final. :sheesh: I'm already tired of that catch phrase.

If they're so desparate to save money and got rid of the best announcer, why couldn't they just go without one instead of giving us this hack? :mad: And no I will not get used to his voice. Who had the brilliant idea of hiring him in the first place? He is horrible. :disagree: :banging:

Linny

Final Flight
Hack

Certainly was unprofessional of him to not bother learning how to pronounce the skater's names.

Another phrase: "their personal best". Got tired of it after a bit.

Linny

If this is the same guy, Paul Page is the "Voice of the Indianapolis 500." He does announcing and commentary for auto races.

I don't know why they would send Paul Page to China rather than Terry Gannon, but there are not many televised auto races, so maybe ESPN wants to get their money's worth out of Page's contract.

Mathman

I figured Paul's voice had to be from someone who commentates in another sport. Some of his comments were valid. Maybe he has a daughter who briefed him in what to say. I missed Terry.

The sound of music in COC was very low and the commentary of Tracy was too loud. I wish the technicians would ensure that the skater's music is the dominant sound in the broadcast.

Joannie is like the French Je (I) You know when they say 'Shunts say pa'. That's the eliding of the phrase 'je ne sais pas'. Her name I believe is like the American Jo Ann. So, I think it is pronounced as Jo Annie or phonetically like Sho an IE. Just a guess and corrections are welcome.

Joe

Last edited:

diver chick

On the Ice
I don't know what Paul Page is like.

We get Chris and Simon in Britain. Chris is the know all ex skater, current coach while Simon is the drafted in, learn as he goes along type of guy. They are comical together. Simon really is learning and paying attention but he is not averse to calling triples quads, or asking what the heck something was all about. They are quite a vocal pair of commentators and work so well together. And Simon is so biased it is hilarious, whenver Maya Usova was skating you got nothing from Simon. :biggrin:

bleuchick

On the Ice
diver chick said:
I don't know what Paul Page is like.

We get Chris and Simon in Britain. Chris is the know all ex skater, current coach while Simon is the drafted in, learn as he goes along type of guy. They are comical together. Simon really is learning and paying attention but he is not averse to calling triples quads, or asking what the heck something was all about. They are quite a vocal pair of commentators and work so well together. And Simon is so biased it is hilarious, whenver Maya Usova was skating you got nothing from Simon. :biggrin:

I heard about these two!

My skating fanatasy is watch skating 24/7 with these two and the CBC(French) skating commentators who "ohhh" and "ahhh" in between commentation!

:biggrin: