Denis Ten | Page 59 | Golden Skate

Denis Ten

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Now it's really sinking in that he won't be at Rostelecom Cup, and we'll never see him skate his new short program.

I was looking forward to the Rostelecom Cup most of all. The other Grand Prix events have at most two of my top five men. At Rostelecom, Denis made it three. :sad21:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I know more than enough people have already replied to you, and many of them were negative, but I want to tell you I understand. I don't really agree with the last sentence but that's how it is.

I don't really dislike them, but it's just so weird for me to go and check the Instrastories. I don't follow figure skaters only, so when I looked at them two days ago and yesterday, it was just so surreal to see happy posts from vaccasions, and then posts about Denis...

And yes, I couldn't really accept the though that while some of the skaters expressed their sorrow, others kept posting stuff from their life. I didn't dislike them, I wouldn't say that, but I kinda felt that they should pay tribute to Denis... Even though many of them did already, but I didn't feel like looking at the happy stuff..

I don't understand this passing judgment on people for posting whatever they want to post on their own social media. There have been hundreds of sincere tributes to Denis...he meant a lot to a lot of people. Is that not enough? Instagram is a shallow platform, it's a form of escapism for most people. Maybe it's not a good idea to spend so much time scrolling IG when you are mourning - why aren't you curled up crying in your bed? See, being judgmental is an easy thing to do.

Some people are just uncomfortable posting about grief or sad things, especially if they did not have a close relationship with Denis. It doesn't make them bad people. It is asking a lot to expect everyone to feel the same exact emotions as you and to not move on until you have.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I don't understand this passing judgment on people for posting whatever they want to post on their own social media. There have been hundreds of sincere tributes to Denis...he meant a lot to a lot of people. Is that not enough? Instagram is a shallow platform, it's a form of escapism for most people. Maybe it's not a good idea to spend so much time scrolling IG when you are mourning - why aren't you curled up crying in your bed? See, being judgmental is an easy thing to do.

Some people are just uncomfortable posting about grief or sad things, especially if they did not have a close relationship with Denis. It doesn't make them bad people. It is asking a lot to expect everyone to feel the same exact emotions as you and to not move on until you have.

I see you reacted to only a part of my post, in the rest of it, I basically say that even though I might have been feeling simirlarly as skatefan17, I am aware that it's impossible for everyone to react the same (I mentioned it in the fourth paragraph), but my emotions are playing with me.

I understand your point of view, but some of us are also being too judgemental to skatefan17 I believe. Yes, they were pretty judgemental in their post too and I agree with you you should not dislike a skater because of it, but it's possible Denis really meant something to them and now they can't think rationally. I'm not saying you should not express disagrement, but I didn't like the way you replied since it seemed too harsh to me, and your response to me was also in a similar manner - that remark about staying in bed wasn't needed. I live my life, but I am a very sensitive person so these things really influence my mood, and and there are others that have it the same way. I know I am overreacting (I think so too and I feel worse because of it) but the fact you know something doesn't necessarily mean you can control it well.

I know you might be pissed at me now, but I don't want to argue with you, I understand your point of view but I guess people cope differently and while for others it is relatively easy to move on, others have tendences to get too emotional and we just have to be together and try to overcome this.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Guys, can we please keep this thread about Denis and not theoretical discussions of appropriate mourning?

Let's watch him win Kazakhstan's very appropriate 10th gold at the Winter Universiade instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVd0nkNuCI

Such a shame about his frequent injuries. His sequences and spins were some of the best I think we'll ever see. Those twizzles. :love::love::love: May he skate to his full potential with no more injuries in Heaven.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
this "I may be kinder to those whose skating I don't like so much and enjoy others who skate twice as much now."

for me, I would appreciate/cherish skaters who are not super stars, not from strong fed, not have a big fanbase, not so visible... but just truly a good skater much more.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was deeply deeply saddened and shocked to read this. I adored D 10. I have nothing more to add.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I wrote a message for Denis, and my friend in Tokyo is delivering it to the Kazakh embassy for me. They are accepting messages and flowers for Denis there. I'm so sad and crying again today. It's very hard to accept this.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I guess people cope differently and while for others it is relatively easy to move on, others have tendences to get too emotional and we just have to be together and try to overcome this.

Yes :ghug:, people cope differently -- and let us also be 1000000% clear that it is impossible to know from social media whether or not someone has moved on.

Posting kitten video (for example) -- or even sharing laughter about something -- should not be assumed to be the same thing as moving on.

It is very possible that someone who posts (or watches) kitten video could be thinking of Denis a thousand times a day.
Speaking for myself, I have been thinking constantly of Denis … at the same time that I continue to take pleasure in everyday blessings: nice weather, a good meal, congenial conversation, etc.

Denis loved to laugh and to be playful.
I will repeat my opinion that celebrating/enjoying positive aspects of life -- including (but not limited to) humor and fun and beauty -- is a way of honoring Denis' spirit.

ETA:
Brendan Kerry's post in tribute to Denis was another one that described Denis as, "Always laughing and smiling."​

livetoskate

On the Ice
Zenchio, that's a beautiful video of Denis singing and skating to his own song. I was happy to see Denis then talking about the background of his performance. It is good to see so much footage of Denis, his show, past competitions, etc. I'm still viewing all of it online. What a wonderful young man.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I dunno, somehow this song is stuck in my head whenever i think of Denis now =(

Vysotsky, Interrupted Flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y1Q8ZGO4M4
(translation: http://www.wysotsky.com/1033.htm?1144)

Oh, thank you, Moriel. I also thought about "The Aborted Flight" by Vysotski, but I didn't dare to post it.

(Vysotski's voice was the sincere voice of people, it was sounding from every window. Even now Russians can see or hear him everywhere.)

I thought about posting this beautiful video with English subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFz_qd36tqA

and one more variant of translation, if it would be interesting for anyone:
http://www.kulichki.com/vv/eng/songs/weinstein.html#someone_spotted_a_fruit

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Yes :ghug:, people cope differently -- and let us also be 1000000% clear that it is impossible to know from social media whether or not someone has moved on.

Posting kitten video (for example) -- or even sharing laughter about something -- should not be assumed to be the same thing as moving on.

It is very possible that someone who posts (or watches) kitten video could be thinking of Denis a thousand times a day.
Speaking for myself, I have been thinking constantly of Denis … at the same time that I continue to take pleasure in everyday blessings: nice weather, a good meal, congenial conversation, etc.

Denis loved to laugh and to be playful.
I will repeat my opinion that celebrating/enjoying positive aspects of life -- including (but not limited to) humor and fun and beauty -- is a way of honoring Denis' spirit.

Why is moving on so bad exactly?

I would say that keeping a low profile on social media after such a tragedy is a gesture of respect to the one who has passed away, so a good thing. Moving on is more admirable than clinging to your precious pain and so is showing respect for the person who has passed away and consideration for those shaken by the news.

And I don't see how celebrating life and other blablabla is a way of honouring Denis Ten. It's very egocentric to think that your personal experiences have anything to do with someone who has already departed from our world.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Am I the only one who finds it odd a lot of American skaters are carrying on on Instagram like someone in their community has not just passed away? It feels very surreal they're posting about makeup and their kittens when a comrade has been slain. I may be too sensitive but it just makes me really disliked them. /Nonamesmentioned
No, it is not odd. The US and other country skaters posted tributes to Denis Ten. Denis Ten was not even their countryman.

In other sports there has been deaths, fellow athletes pay tributes, thats it. If its same countryman or very close friend, then they will be involved at the funeral.
In badminton, this year alone, a young 20 ish European player died in a car accident. Another Korean 35 yr old Olympic medalist died of heart attack. Fellow players posted condolences and tributes yes. They also posted other stuff like food, training schedule.

The same day Denis was killed, one of my country's state assemblyman died in a car accident. He was only 40. His party leaders, members pay tribute, send condolences, help out at the funeral. All at the same time posting abt other matters (on running the country).

Yes, the way Denis Ten was killed is tragic. Unfortunately, life has many tragic occurrences round the world.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… I would say that keeping a low profile on social media after such a tragedy is a gesture of respect to the one who has passed away, so a good thing. Moving on is more admirable than clinging to your precious pain and so is showing respect for the person who has passed away and consideration for those shaken by the news.

And I don't see how celebrating life and other blablabla is a way of honouring Denis Ten. It's very egocentric to think that your personal experiences have anything to do with someone who has already departed from our world.

My last two cents on this side discussion -- because I do feel that appreciation of Denis should be the focus here on GS:

IMO, criticism of other skaters (which is what led to this side discussion) does not show respect for Denis and is not a way of honoring Denis.

I am shaken by the loss of Denis, and I continue to grieve for Denis.
I could say that when someone in this thread posted criticism of some U.S. skaters, the person lacked consideration for those like me who are supportive not only of Denis, but also of all skaters.

I strongly disagree with your last sentence, but will not say more than that.​

Icey

Record Breaker
Who from the skating world was able to attend his funeral? Whether we agree or not with how someone grieves a loss, it is their way and should be respected.

deedee1

Record Breaker
It was his funeral today. My deep, sincere condolences to Denis' family and friends.

Tulips are the national flower of Kazakhstan, I heard. Denis, these are for you. R.I.P.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I hope some figure skaters were able to attend Denis' funeral. I tried to watch the civil one (replay of the stream) but it was too much for me, and I had no clue what people were saying, as I don't understand neither Russian nor Kazakh. I don't know, but I guess this should have been followed by a religious service, though I don't know if Denis and his family are Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or neither of them.
Anyway this a sad day for everybody who knew Denis. Now we should try to keep him alive in our thoughts.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I hope some figure skaters were able to attend Denis' funeral. I tried to watch the civil one (replay of the stream) but it was too much for me, and I had no clue what people were saying, as I don't understand neither Russian nor Kazakh. I don't know, but I guess this should have been followed by a religious service, though I don't know if Denis and his family are Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or neither of them.
Anyway this a sad day for everybody who knew Denis. Now we should try to keep him alive in our thoughts.

No, you can’t see how some people are reacting because they feel some skaters aren’t mourning enough, if some attend and other can’t because schedule, distance,
Etc people will criticize them... also in this way the focus was 100% on Denis, his family and country as it should be...