Denis Ten | Page 63 | Golden Skate

Denis Ten

seniorita

Record Breaker
I just came back from vacations and this is one of the worst news I ve heard. Totally lost for words now..

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I just came back from vacations and this is one of the worst news I ve heard. Totally lost for words now..

I think we can have a second wave of shocked people in October when Grand Prix series start :(

rinkside_user

On the Ice
It would be a good tribute if the kazhak federation created an annual event named after Denis. Like "Denis Ten trophy".

I think, what will become the "Denis Ten and friends" show?

An annual memorial gala/exhibition/competition sounds very nice. I'm not entirely sure it should be led by the Kazakh Fed, though, but that's just me.

On another note, I haven't contributed to this topic yet because it's hard to write meaningful stuff after so many pages. It's very saddening and shocking for sure.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I wonder if GS could have some sort of tribute to Denis, maybe closing and pinning this thread forever, or re-naming one of the forums in his honor.

While all this comes from good intentions... eventually people need to move on... to pin threads it would only be a constant reminder of what happened.... Look at Ekaterina Gordeeva, even she moved on after Sergei´s death.

I don´t know how appropriate would be for someone to take his show... if any I think the most plausible tribute is to create a scholarship to support skaters in his country.

lyndichee

Medalist
GS is donation driven so I highly doubt if the site can help financially. It would be cool to see a Year-In-Review and have users here maybe vote annually for a skater from a smaller federation who has represented their country positively on the international stage. The Denis Ten Achievement Award or something. I could see people even in the past like Choi Dabin earning 2 ladies spots, Javier Fernandes and all that he has done for his small federation, Duskova/Bidar winning junior worlds for Czech Republic for the first time, Alexandrovskaya/Windsor with their many firsts etc. I know Kim Yuna basically did it first for South Korea and he has said in multiple interviews he looks up to her and it would a nice memory and sentiment to honour.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sending Condolences to family of Denis Ten

Skating Fans, I received this direct message from my friend Mary Wehmeier this morning.

Pete, I spoke with the Honorary Counsel General for Kazakhstan here in LA over the weekend. Here’s her message you may want to spread the word to clubs and groups who want to do memory or guest books for Denis Ten.

“Hi, just got a reply from our consul at the embassy. Please forward the book or cards and letters onto The Family of Denis Ten In care of: Mr. Timur Orazov (Consul) Embassy of Kazakhstan 1401 16th street NW Washington DC . Thank you again for your kind hearts!

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I don´t know how appropriate would be for someone to take his show... if any I think the most plausible tribute is to create a scholarship to support skaters in his country.

GS is donation driven so I highly doubt if the site can help financially. It would be cool to see a Year-In-Review and have users here maybe vote annually for a skater from a smaller federation who has represented their country positively on the international stage. The Denis Ten Achievement Award or something. I could see people even in the past like Choi Dabin earning 2 ladies spots, Javier Fernandes and all that he has done for his small federation, Duskova/Bidar winning junior worlds for Czech Republic for the first time, Alexandrovskaya/Windsor with their many firsts etc. I know Kim Yuna basically did it first for South Korea and he has said in multiple interviews he looks up to her and it would a nice memory and sentiment to honour.
Sorry, I probably should have been more specific. ISU/ Figure Skaring Kazakhstan could establish a scholarship. Sure people around the world could donate, (or if it not established) people came made a donation to their country /other country skating federation in Denis´name.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I didn't know tulips are the national flower of Kazakhstan. I will buy some and put them in my garden.

That's sweet of you to put some in your garden for him. Would be nice if you can include red ones if available, since I also heard that Kazakh people will bring red flowers when attending funerals.

qwertyskates

Medalist

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Saw Pixar's Coco last night. I sobbed

After the tragic events that unfolded recently, I could not stop thinking about Denis crossing over to the other world joining his Korean War Hero Great Grandfather and showing him his skating programs. I sobbed non-stop throughout the movie thinking about Denis.:cry::cry:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I think Dens Ten and friends should be called Denis Ten's Friends. And it should be a FS show that would be linked to a foundation for FS in Kazakstan or other good cause.

This sounds beautiful.

I still cannot make myself watch any of the Denis videos youtube suggests to me. And now I'm tearing up again... :sad21:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hello, please, does anyone have any footage (practice, training, etc.) of Denis' programs for the next quad?:pray:

Is this one of them? SOS d'un terrien?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj63i1km4y0

This is my favorite program of Denis Ten, he was such a unique skater, unbelievable how he can carry such a difficult program choreography, and conveyed the nuances and changes in the tempo, in the emotions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PvwkFjEWPY&t=56s

sos was going to be his LP, adapted from last year's LP (minus 30 seconds)

frida80

Record Breaker
I hadn’t thought about it. But now that you mentioned it, it’s giving me a little peace. Because we love Denis and hold him in our memories, he will never truly disapear. Then during that one lovely night he can return and visit his loved ones. :pray:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
For those who did not get a chance to catch the Kazakh TV showing of Denis Ten and Friends Ice Show, a very kind & considerate Denis fan uploaded it to Google Drive. Denis looked so fabulous in the group number as the Greatest Showman!

To take a beautiful passage from the wonderful words of Mad for Skating of Madforskating.tumblr.com:

Warrior of Kazakhstan

When I think of this tragedy, I think of the majestic golden eagles that fly over the steppes of Kazakhstan towards the sun, fearless and free. I hope Denis is somewhere up there, in a world as beautiful as he was. I like to think that right now, he is up in skater heaven, having a little jumping competition with Sergei Grinkov.

Rest in peace, Denis. You were an angel long before you died. We will never forget you.

:pray: D10 Love :cry:

neraiselle

On the Ice
https://astanatimes.com/2018/07/suspects-confess-to-killing-olympic-figure-skater-denis-ten/

This makes me even sadder...

"“The police said the trial will be in seven or ten days and they will invite me. The police also told me the man (Kudaibergenov) was detained, that he was previously sentenced, and that he confessed,” said Shamshiyev, as reported time.kz.

The police, however, released Kudaibergenov July 13 under certain conditions.

“Until today, I was sure he is in jail waiting for trial. But today I learnt from the criminal police officers, who came to me to identify the person, that he was in Almaty and is a suspect into Ten’s murder,” he said.

“How can this happen if he was previously sentenced and secondly, he confessed? The police did not say anything,” he added. “If the police had not released him, he would have still been in Astana and would never have come to Almaty and consequently nothing would have happened,” he said.""

moriel

Record Breaker
This is a nice idea, although pinning the one about "Your Favourite Memory of Denis Ten" is probably better, the title of this one hurts my heart whenever I see it. :(

The past few days whenever I'm out I keep looking at car mirrors and thinking how horrible it is that two people killed someone over those. It's just senseless.

Im fine with any of the threads being pinned.
Overall, I am somehow more moved by this one, but pinning memories would be great too <3

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I will add Julian Yee's tribute here since I don't think it has been posted. Julian, like Denis when he first started, came from a country where figure skating training facilities were practically non-existent. Both of them are pioneers of the sport in their respective countries. He and his former Malaysian coach watched videos from the top competitors for training, and Denis was definitely a role model for him. He resonates with our sentiment: "He will be remembered forever and never forgotten."

A true inspiration to us all. Denis was a great skater, friend and the true definition of a role model. Everybody loved him for who he was. His personality was so easy to get along with and always treated everyone equally. He's probably one of the most polite person I ever knew. I remember the days my coach and I used to watch his performances online to learn and be inspired from the amazing programs he put out. When I finally had the chance to meet and compete with him, it was just so surreal. Waking up today and hearing the news of his sudden passing really does sadden all of our hearts. The figure skating community has just lost a great talent and sportsman. I'd like extent my condolences to Denis' family. He will be remembered forever and never forgotten. Thank you for all you have done for our sport. Rest in Peace Denis. #D10