Yuzuru Hanyu: 2018-2019 | Page 256 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What do you think the chances are of Yuzu winning the Laureus Comeback award, mostly because of the social media response from his fans?
Laureus has been posting "Who is your favorite pick?" kind of fish baiting posts repeatedly, most likely looking for more social media response. They seem to be very active on twitter, facebook and instagram, so I'm wondering how much the social media response from Hanyu fans will affect the overall decision of the academy.

What do you guys think?

I think the people who run it are even more aware now how popular and loved he is :biggrin: ...buuuut..... it's not supposed to be a popularity contest. To be perfectly honest, I think Mark or Bibian (?) would be the favourites due to the sheer magnitude of their injuries and how far they had to climb up. OTOH, Yuzu's comeback did reach the highest possible pinnacle of his sport, not just the Oly gold, but the back to back which his perfectly fit predecessors couldn't manage.

I'm totally torn, of course my heart wants me to say he's the one who will get it... but honestly, any of them would be as deserving.

Henni147

Final Flight
I think the people who run it are even more aware now how popular and loved he is :biggrin: ...buuuut..... it's not supposed to be a popularity contest.
Laureus' reaction :laugh:
https://mobile.twitter.com/LaureusSport/status/1087296676728131585
Wow! It turns out this is our most successful tweet ever. We are now testing whether this has anything to do with beginning tweets with exclamations. We'll let you know.

The truth is: Laureus has always been a celebrity contest for athletes in western countries... eventually.
Especially the sportsman award has only gone to the really 'big names' like Usain Bolt or Roger Federer since its inception.
I'm sure they've never expected Yuzu to be their no. 1 clickbait among so many superstars and well... They don't know what to do with that. Yet. (I'm happy about that tbh...)

Awards aside I wish Yuzu a stress-free recovery and preparation for Worlds. Men's short will take place in exactly two months! Unbelievable how time flies...

Yoa

On the Ice
What do you think the chances are of Yuzu winning the Laureus Comeback award, mostly because of the social media response from his fans?
Laureus has been posting "Who is your favorite pick?" kind of fish baiting posts repeatedly, most likely looking for more social media response. They seem to be very active on twitter, facebook and instagram, so I'm wondering how much the social media response from Hanyu fans will affect the overall decision of the academy.

What do you guys think?

Well... the voting is done by Laureus World Sports Academy Members. I don't think that social media activity will influence their decision. Just look at the members list: https://www.laureus.com/academy/members#&slider1=3 But maybe he can get some discretionary award.

Great balance by the way :rolleye:
11 members - football,
9 - athletics,
6 - cricket,
6 - american football + rugby,
4 - tennis.
3 - gymnastics, golf, skiing
2 - motor cycling, fomula one, swimming, boxing.
ONE figure skater
Katarina Witt will probably vote for Yuzuru :)

Amef

Final Flight
Well... the voting is done by Laureus World Sports Academy Members. I don't think that social media activity will influence their decision. Just look at the members list: https://www.laureus.com/academy/members#&slider1=3 But maybe he can get some discretionary award.

Great balance by the way :rolleye:
11 members - football,
9 - athletics,
6 - cricket,
6 - american football + rugby,
4 - tennis.
3 - gymnastics, golf, skiing
2 - motor cycling, fomula one, swimming, boxing.
ONE figure skater
Katarina Witt will probably vote for Yuzuru :)

Here is my long response to the whole Laureus award thing (it's gonna be quite long, so beware)

I looked at their website and a few other things.
They are heavily affiliated with Mercedes Benz. The official Mercedes Benz Youtube channel uploads HD videos of Laureus Awards. And the guests also arrive in Benz flashy sports cars to the red carpet. The award itself looks very similar to the Mercedes Benz logo, and also the red carpet back drop has heavy Benz marketing all over. Laureus is also sponsored by a luxurious Swiss Watch company called IWC Schaffhausen, a luxury brand not many can afford so easily.
What I am trying to say; Laureus Awards seem to be a very prestigious award, but also a very commercial award show in many senses. To invite A Class Hollywood stars such as Benedict Cumberbatch, Hugh Grant as hosts of the Award Show must cost a fortune. Plus the award show look very flashy, expensive.
So I am guessing a commercial, somewhat high class society based award show must be drawn to expanding its commercial appeal even further to the general public. I think the whole fish baiting they are doing recently on Twitter kind of shows that; they are drawn towards crowd appeal. This does not mean that they will pick Yuzu as the award recipient based on his social media presence, but I do think they will have recognized that if Yuzu attends the show in person, it will draw heaps of social media interest and public interest.

I hope this motivates them to give out a strong invitation to Yuzu, make a stronger reach out to him to invite him to the show.
I really don't mind if he doesn't win. I just hope that Laureus invite him, and he makes himself more known to the academy members the first time round, and keep getting nominated in the future. If he wins, great. History will be made. He will become the first Japanese, the first figure skater to receive a Laureus award. It will draw in heaps of media attention not just from Japan and the figure skating world, but from other sports media too, because if you are the first pioneer in any record, it draws in lots of attention.

The thing that I'm wondering about is;

Who pays for the whole flight and accommodation to the award show? I know Yuzu can afford a one night trip to Monaco if he goes, but I heard Monaco is a very expensive place to visit. I wonder if Laureus sponsors the whole flight fees to the nominees? If Mercedes is their sponsor, it's possible right?
(Oh wait.. maybe ANA will pay).
Anyway, I'm super excited for future announcements. I love films and I stan film stars, so I get excited about the thought of Yuzu wearing really expensive high designer brand tuxedos this time; the ones that Hollywood stars wear to oscars; gucci, prada tuxedos. I love his Japanese sports award suits, they look really clean and smart, but I found them a bit simple.
If he goes, I'm not asking for red or blue tuxedos, but just the tuxedos that shine and really scream "Oscar 007 Tuxedos" lol

Henni147

Final Flight
Here is my long response to the whole Laureus award thing (it's gonna be quite long, so beware)
Thanks for your detailed summary!

It's true that Laureus is something like a family gathering of the high society showing off with everything they have... :cool14:
That's why I would extremely celebrate, if Yuzu attended this circus as plain and simple as possible with his usual infectious grin and happiness stealing everyone's show :laugh:

mysticice

Rinkside
The thing that I'm wondering about is;

Who pays for the whole flight and accommodation to the award show? I know Yuzu can afford a one night trip to Monaco if he goes, but I heard Monaco is a very expensive place to visit. I wonder if Laureus sponsors the whole flight fees to the nominees? If Mercedes is their sponsor, it's possible right?
(Oh wait.. maybe ANA will pay).
Anyway, I'm super excited for future announcements. I love films and I stan film stars, so I get excited about the thought of Yuzu wearing really expensive high designer brand tuxedos this time; the ones that Hollywood stars wear to oscars; gucci, prada tuxedos. I love his Japanese sports award suits, they look really clean and smart, but I found them a bit simple.
If he goes, I'm not asking for red or blue tuxedos, but just the tuxedos that shine and really scream "Oscar 007 Tuxedos" lol

Very interesting. Thank you for your research.

Laureus should pay for everything (flights in 1st class, hotel etc.) They clearly have the money. Anyway, the closest airport is in Nice and one could always stay in a hotel in Nice where it's likely to be less expensive than in Monaco.

I'm with you, I really want Hanyu to go and look fantastic in a black tuxedo. And hopefully win the award.

If he did get the award it would be kind of a nice circle: his big breakthrough in figure skating world happened in Nice WC in 2012 and now seven years later he is recognized by international sports' members in Monaco, which is situated very close to Nice.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
All this talk of tuxedo colors gave me a random mental image of him showing up in a LGC-purple tux. :laugh: On closer inspection, the pants may or may not be the purple pants of sin.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Someone somewhere suggested he wear his ultra-swish hakama... he wouldn't, I'm sure but oh wouldn't THAT get the photo frenzy going!!!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Someone somewhere suggested he wear his ultra-swish hakama... he wouldn't, I'm sure but oh wouldn't THAT get the photo frenzy going!!!

Oh, but how amazing would it be if he became the first Japanese athlete to win, while wearing traditional Japanese clothing!

Amef

Final Flight
All this talk of tuxedo colors gave me a random mental image of him showing up in a LGC-purple tux. [emoji23] On closer inspection, the pants may or may not be the purple pants of sin.
He would make headlines as the worst dressed athlete ever [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I've never seen Yuzu wear bow ties or skinny ties. So I kind of want to see Yuzu is those.

The type of tuxedos I'm talking about are the Golden Globe and Oscar Tuxedos.

http://pinterest.com/pin/477522366720629457/?source_app=android

They just look very different to normal formal suits Yuzu wears. There also seems to be a dress code in Laureus that athletes wear fancy suits + sneakers to the red carpet. (Although Cumberbatch wears formal shoes).

https://youtu.be/oc_qtkdlQFY

But the real question is: when will Laureus announce that Yuzu will or will not attend in Monaco? Surely they will have contacted him by now? Why are they prolonging the attendance announcement and teasing us with fishbaits? [emoji15][emoji15]

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, but how amazing would it be if he became the first Japanese athlete to win, while wearing traditional Japanese clothing!

All of Japan - and Twitter/Instagram - and fans everywhere - would immediately and totally go bonkers with joy :dance2:

Amef

Final Flight
I just read Tsuzuki sensei's interview and it's a must read. Highly recommend.

Back to the Laureus topic, it looks like the athletes who attend get customized sneakers for the awards and share their sneakers on their social media with the hashtag #SneakersforGood. They then have them auctioned for charity.

https://youtu.be/WJQqt6j8aok

In 2017, Usain Bolt also auctioned his sneakers as you can see from above. This is so cool, because all the athletes get personalized, customized super trendy sneakers to match their outfits!
If Yuzu attends and gets his own pair of Sneakers for Good and have them auctioned, can you imagine how much it would raise for Charity? Wow. :eeking::yahoo::hap93:

I forgot the source, but I saw this news from Twitter. Someone posted it earlier today!

ankifeather

Final Flight
lol why are people here worried about whether Monaco is expensive for Yuzu, and if they would pay his fees...just looking at his merchandise and photo book sales this year is clear that he is rolling in money, not even counting his advertisement contracts. I just hope he does show up for the event given he is such a caveboy and workaholic.

yude

Record Breaker
But the real question is: when will Laureus announce that Yuzu will or will not attend in Monaco? Surely they will have contacted him by now? Why are they prolonging the attendance announcement and teasing us with fishbaits? [emoji15][emoji15]

They have attendance announcement every year? I kind of want them to prolong it as long as they want, then we can dream about Cool Yuzuru at Monaco until February :biggrin:

Amef

Final Flight
They have attendance announcement every year? I kind of want them to prolong it as long as they want, then we can dream about Cool Yuzuru at Monaco until February [emoji3]
But if he doesn't go, then it would be a huge let down.

I find laureus social media team somewhat strange because the fish baiting and teasing they are doing on twitter seems as if they know he is going to attend or something.
Are they prolonging the announcement?
My guess is Yuzu has already let them know by now? If he goes he will send his opinions of his customized sneaker designs to them very soon, because it's only a month away!

Also he may even get new tuxedos because it's a highly glamorous event.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My guess is Yuzu has already let them know by now? If he goes he will send his opinions of his customized sneaker designs to them very soon, because it's only a month away!

{thinks about what we know of Yuzu's sartorial tastes on and off ice}
{thinks about what Yuzu could manage in the customised sneakers line}

Yuzu, pleeeeaaaaaasssse go and dazzle everyone from the feet... down :hap93:

Status
Not open for further replies.