Yuzuru Hanyu: 2018-2019 | Page 269 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Congrats on the nod, Yuzu.

You know looking back at these PC photos and memories, it's kind of amazing how Yuzu managed to make his defense look...not THAT hard? Only the best can make something so difficult look so effortless.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm a little angry, but I expected this after I saw the names in jury. Probably most of them don't know anything about the figure skating, probably they think it's not a real sport... :bang:

But congrats to Yuzuru for the nomination! Great thing!

Danibellerika

Medalist
I'm a little angry, but I expected this after I saw the names in jury. Probably most of them are don't know anything about the figure skating, probably they think it's not a real sport... :bang:

But congrats to Yuzuru for the nomination! Great thing!

Yep. Meanwhile golf....totally more legit.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Whaaaaaaaaat. Tiger Woods won over someone who had cancer, someone who nearly died, and our Yuzu who won an Olympic gold medal on painkillers with hardly any practice?

Honestly, I'm glad Yuzu didn't win because knowing how humble he is, I think he might have felt guilty winning over someone who nearly died and someone who had cancer.

...but I expected one of them to win!

Oh well, those few weeks of hoping against hope that this wouldn't end up a popularity contest were nice while they lasted.

Congratulations to Yuzuru for the nomination!

And at least we fans got a nice acknowledgement. To me, it does not read as mocking or condescending at all. It seems like a nice gesture at best and a covert apology for biased judging at "worst".

Amef

Final Flight
Whaaaaaaaaat. Tiger Woods won over someone who had cancer, someone who nearly died, and our Yuzu who won an Olympic gold medal on painkillers with hardly any practice?

Honestly, I'm glad Yuzu didn't win because knowing how humble he is, I think he might have felt guilty winning over someone who nearly died and someone who had cancer.

...but I expected one of them to win!

Oh well, those few weeks of hoping against hope that this wouldn't end up a popularity contest were nice while they lasted.

Congratulations to Yuzuru for the nomination!

And at least we fans got a nice acknowledgement. To me, it does not read as mocking or condescending at all. It seems like a nice gesture at best and a covert apology for biased judging at "worst".

I read somewhere that 10/19 winners of the Laureus Sportsman of the Year Award were Tennis Players. So I reckon this is an award very geared towards tennis players + major sports players. Not counting Yuzu wins a Laureus Award in the future because of this. He may get nominated if he wins 3 straight olympic gold, but I'm still not gonna bet his wins the "Sportsman of the Year" award even if he wins a total of 3 Olympic Gold Medals. Main reason being Yuzu doesn't play Tennis lol.. Quite sad, but the truth.

I also think Yuzu won't bother turning up to the Awards all the way to Monaco unless he has a very high chance of winning an award.
If say, for some miraculous reason, Yuzu lands 4A, shatters all 3 World Records, has a season sweep and wins Olympics, then he might have a slim chance of winning, if ISU does promote him right. Then he might turn up.

The good thing is Laureus Award changes locations of its ceremony from country to country every once in a while
In 2015 it was in China, in 2016 it was in Berlin.
Also, another good thing is sometimes, the awards take place during March or April. During figure skating off season.
It's mostly held in Monaco, but switches up from time to time. If the Awards were held in Japan and after Worlds on a season with no WTT, I think Yuzu might go, even if he didn't have a high chance of winning.

I think it would be best for Yuzu to attend the award, to promote both himself and figure skating to the world sports media + laureus academy. It makes the academy familiar with him, and the chances of him being nominated and winning in the future will gradually increase if he keeps turning up.

Amef

Final Flight
He will like that... his favourite colour [emoji23]

Seriously, it's a lovely gesture and I hope reminded him again how much people care about him...
Cute!!! I'm happy he is adjusting for Worlds! Hopefully his layout is only revealed in full run thru OP

Status
Not open for further replies.