2018-19 British figure skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018-19 British figure skating

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just rewatching the British Championships on iPlayer and thought I'd look up the BBC commentator, as I'd never heard her before:

@claireyoudale - jeez! No connection or previous interest in Skating, seems to have been chosen as she lives in Sheffield!

I really don't hold with the view that she as a newbie is representing some viewers. If you're not already interested in Skating you're not going to watch a livestream on the website for hours on end.

And she didn't even tweet about being at the British Championships on her Twitter account!

Mmmm. Are you sure it's the same person? Because it is hard to tell from her photos.

EDIT: It is. I just clicked through to her Instagram page to see her photos from over here, and the girl in the Profile Pic on there is definitely the same person that we saw in the video interviewing the judge.​

Regardless, the BBC should have had more sense than to pick somebody who did not have a history (either as a fan or as a participant) in the subject they were talking about. Like, you would have thought they would have learnt their lesson after Kat Downes.

But, although it was not the intention, they did manage to unearth some absolutely brilliant commentators in the form of skaters that were invited to join Claire in the commentary box. So, it didn't turn out anywhere near as bad as it could have.

Which reminds me, I meant to post a reply to one of your posts over in the British Championships competition thread, but then the GP Final came along and I forgot to do it. It's hardly too late to do it now, is it? ;)

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I think Claire said at one point her granny was a figure dancer, eh I mean skater? But from what I can tell it was the production company that did the livestream that hired her not the BBC.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Mmmm. Are you sure it's the same person? Because it is hard to tell from her photos.

EDIT: It is. I just clicked through to her Instagram page to see her photos from over here, and the girl in the Profile Pic on there is definitely the same person that we saw in the video interviewing the judge.​

Regardless, the BBC should have had more sense than to pick somebody who did not have a history (either as a fan or as a participant) in the subject they were talking about. Like, you would have thought they would have learnt their lesson after Kat Downes.

But, although it was not the intention, they did manage to unearth some absolutely brilliant commentators in the form of skaters that were invited to join Claire in the commentary box. So, it didn't turn out anywhere near as bad as it could have.

Which reminds me, I meant to post a reply to one of your posts over in the British Championships competition thread, but then the GP Final came along and I forgot to do it. It's hardly too late to do it now, is it? ;)

CaroLiza_fan

I wince everytime I hear the name Kat Downes. :eeking:

Claire does take a nice photo of mountains, and mountaineering seems to be her main line of work/interest.
It was just so disappointing she didn't do the most basic research before turning up behind the rink mic.
It's like, what does it matter, it's only skating. :disapp:

No, not too late at all to reply CaroLiza_Fan.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I think Claire said at one point her granny was a figure dancer, eh I mean skater? But from what I can tell it was the production company that did the livestream that hired her not the BBC.

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’m really excited about Euros I can’t believe it’s more than a month until it starts.

However I’m a bit worried I saw in the TES minimum thread that other than Phillip none of the men have met the minimum for worlds yet. I know there’s still a little time but Graham better get on that.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
^
XD

Aw well if there is a next time she’ll be better. x

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Link: (https://www.instagram.com/p/BrlWEp1hmH3/)

Luke Digby has torn cartilage in his right knee practicing a triple axel and has to have surgery tomorrow morning. As a result he has withdrawn from Junior Worlds.

Such bad luck after his appendicitis earlier this year. Here’s hoping he has recovered in time to be ready and trained for next season. 😢

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Link: (https://www.instagram.com/p/BrlWEp1hmH3/)

Luke Digby has torn cartilage in his right knee practicing a triple axel and has to have surgery tomorrow morning. As a result he has withdrawn from Junior Worlds.

Such bad luck after his appendicitis earlier this year. Here’s hoping he has recovered in time to be ready and trained for next season. ��

:( :noshake: What a shame! He was having such a good season! I'm sorry but wrong time to start training the 3A with Junior Worlds coming up. His Coaches should've waited till the off season. This is a very tricky injury to recover from. They should've been perfecting what he could already do, and improving his expression for this season. Leave adding a 3A to his repertoire till the Summer.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Your right it was a risky time to train such a jump. I really rate Luke I hope he recovers soon.

I suppose a small part of me I glad to know he wants to get his 3A now rather than when he turns senior like some of the other Men’s skaters we have but it’s such bad luck to get injured now.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Your right it was a risky time to train such a jump. I really rate Luke I hope he recovers soon.

I suppose a small part of me I glad to know he wants to get his 3A now rather than when he turns senior like some of the other Men’s skaters we have but it’s such bad luck to get injured now.

Graham Newberry put out a video doing the quad Salchow in training a couple of seasons ago, and it looked beautiful, but he's yet to do it in competition.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Now that you mention Graham I think I remember at Nationals someone mentioning that all three skaters trained quads but none could do them reliably enough to put them in their programs except Harry who took the risk as he isn’t great at axle jumps.

I’ve always wondered what is the better tactic, putting in quads even if they’re unstable or leaving them out until you’re more consistent with them?

I think with the new scoring system the latter approach seems favoured which could benifit Graham if he performs like he did at nationals.

But yeah get well soon Luke!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Just found this this video promoting the Japanese National Championships Rhythm Dance (https://youtu.be/YsZgCWZjH-k), they used Bolero as the background music.

Torvill and Dean, their legacy will live on forever I think! xD

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just found this this video promoting the Japanese National Championships Rhythm Dance (https://youtu.be/YsZgCWZjH-k), they used Bolero as the background music.

Torvill and Dean, their legacy will live on forever I think! xD

Not just the Ice Dance. They were using "Bolero" as the music for EVERYTHING!

• As the theme music during the titles at the start of the broadcasts.
  • As the background music in the introduction videos introducing the skaters in the upcoming group (which is what this video is).
  • I think they might even have used it in some of the feature videos about Takahashi.

It was getting to the stage that we were getting fed up hearing it. :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Two bits of Instagram news!

Penny and Nick are engaged!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrxmgLNhDQA/

Wishing them all the best!

Won't tell a lie, somehow I thought they were already engaged/married!!

Same here - I thought they were engaged already. (I knew they weren't married)

Nevertheless, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Our men’s silver medalist PJ Hallam was Martin Freeman’s stunt double in the Vodaphone Christmas advert: (https://www.instagram.com/p/BrxmjqHhg14)

Looks like he had fun. :)

Thank you!!! :bow:

I was asking that on here a few weeks ago.

Now to find what thread I asked it in... :rolleye:

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’m glad I could help! PJ is such a joy to follow on Instagram. I’m very much looking forward to him competing more internationally!